Around The League 2019-20 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
They will want to keep McDermott and Mikhayev if they make no other changes and that will eat up some of the savings since both are entering RFA. They are also going to have to sign a few bottom of the roster types. Maybe they really net about 6 mil of what they’ll save? Still you raise an excellent point and no question TOR can take a run at him if they really want to even if it wouldn’t be advisable for them in terms of roster building.
yeah, they're like the Rangers North, they could have 3 top line left wingers, but if a big name free agent left winger is available over the summer, they'll sign him!

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Gotta suck to be a leaf fan. You finally get the team together and a window opens for you. Then you just happen to play in a division with two legit cup favorites and the playoff format is divisional. Ouch.

having one cup contender is tough but two? Not to mention playing In the conference I think favorite to win the cup.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Seeing the mess baseball is going through I wonder if other sports STARTING their seasons will face similar situations? How many hockey teams lose money during regular times? Now no fans in the rink come next season? They will take a beating

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Nylander is the guy I can see being traded if ever they want to sign Taylor Hall. Cody Ceci is definitely an option to be moved if the Leafs are looking to make some moves in this offseason.

You should stop saying that everything you view as impossible, is impossible. I’m sure you would’ve said the same thing prior to the Subban and Larsson trade, just to name a few that are closer to home.

first of all, Ceci is a free agent this offseason. As is Tyson Barrie and Travis Dermott (RFA). So they will need to sign a DMan or two in all likelihood.

The Leafs only have a few million in space right now and thats with the cap at $84 million which it probably will not be.

so fine, not IMPOSSIBLE, sure. Nothing is impossible. But it is very, very very unlikely. Better?

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
first of all, Ceci is a free agent this offseason. As is Tyson Barrie and Travis Dermott (RFA). So they will need to sign a DMan or two in all likelihood.

The Leafs only have a few million in space right now and thats with the cap at $84 million which it probably will not be.

so fine, not IMPOSSIBLE, sure. Nothing is impossible. But it is very, very very unlikely. Better?
Ive been saying to my buddies Barrie goes to Vancouver in FA. Ive seen him eyeing the Canucks for a few years now and I think that trade backfires on Toronto.

Isnt he from Vancouver? Or maybe he played youth hockey there I cant quite remember. Either way theyll overpay for him lol

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Seeing the mess baseball is going through I wonder if other sports STARTING their seasons will face similar situations? How many hockey teams lose money during regular times? Now no fans in the rink come next season? They will take a beating
Biggest difference is baseball hadnt played a game. Hockey (not quite basketball) already covered its TV deal parameters and so the teams wont be in such dire straits as compared to the MLB

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Ive been saying to my buddies Barrie goes to Vancouver in FA. Ive seen him eyeing the Canucks for a few years now and I think that trade backfires on Toronto.

Isnt he from Vancouver? Or maybe he played youth hockey there I cant quite remember. Either way theyll overpay for him lol

They were banking on making a run with him but the pandemic hit. Still risky with bruins and bolts

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
NHLPA Exec Board is voting on return to play proposal. (24 teams, top 4 teams per conference play each other, 16 teams have a play in round). If vote passes additional details to be negotiated with the NHL. Voting process likely completed by tomorrow night.

I don't think I like the above format. I preferred this version a lot better.

EYj6Wi9X0AEdNCR.jpg

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
NHLPA Exec Board is voting on return to play proposal. (24 teams, top 4 teams per conference play each other, 16 teams have a play in round). If vote passes additional details to be negotiated with the NHL. Voting process likely completed by tomorrow night.

I don't think I like the above format. I preferred this version a lot better.

EYj6Wi9X0AEdNCR.jpg

the nhl has to keep the top teams involved in meaningful hockey games otherwise while the lower seeds are playing playoff hockey to get to the playoffs the top seeds won’t have played meaningful hockey since March! It makes sense and is pretty smart to have the top teams playing for “positioning “ while the lower seeds are playing to get into the playoff.

The last thing the nhl wants is a bottom team winning this thing that much I can guarantee you.

This would be the type of playoff setup where a #1 shut down goalie would make a world of difference. Wonder if the rangers rookie is up for it.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
If its true that four teams hovering around .500 for each conference get a chance at the playoffs AND the lottery - thats some major f***ing bullshit

What the hell do the remaining seven teams get out of this? Besides absolutely screwed

Thatd mean we could, in theory, be bumped from 6 all the way down to 9, and have Arizona and Vancouver’s picks be very late 1st round if they won some playoff series’

Imagine if we went from thinking we were gonna get ~ 6, 10, 17 to getting something like ~ 9, 17, 24

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If its true that four teams hovering around .500 for each conference get a chance at the playoffs AND the lottery - thats some major f***ing bullshit

What the hell do the remaining seven teams get out of this? Besides absolutely screwed

Thatd mean we could, in theory, be bumped from 6 all the way down to 9, and have Arizona and Vancouver’s picks be very late 1st round if they won some playoff series’

Imagine if we went from thinking we were gonna get ~ 6, 10, 17 to getting something like ~ 9, 17, 24

I didn’t see that anywhere who reporting it

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Does this mean they have agreed upon the 24 team playoff and now they are moving on to figuring out the details of trades and whatnot?

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Does this mean they have agreed upon the 24 team playoff and now they are moving on to figuring out the details of trades and whatnot?
Still a lot of hurdles to clear, like where they are going to play, whose going to be allowed, how they are going to test etc

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

Wouldn’t mind Barrie for a decent price.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
Are they still going to make it so you can only rise up to 5 spots if you win the draft lottery? I remember that being considered for this year. If that's the case, the Devils and Sabres really get the short end of the stick by not getting a spot in the playoffs or a shot at Lafreniere.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Are they still going to make it so you can only rise up to 5 spots if you win the draft lottery? I remember that being considered for this year. If that's the case, the Devils and Sabres really get the short end of the stick by not getting a spot in the playoffs or a shot at Lafreniere.

We don’t know for sure but I think the lottery will be unlimited like normal.

The limited move up was when the league feared a team making the playoffs, winning the cup, and winning the lottery. Now that we know the 7 teams that won’t participate in the 24 team play resumption I expect those 7 teams to be in a lottery with everyone having a chance at #1.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
We don’t know for sure but I think the lottery will be unlimited like normal.

The limited move up was when the league feared a team making the playoffs, winning the cup, and winning the lottery. Now that we know the 7 teams that won’t participate in the 24 team play resumption I expect those 7 teams to be in a lottery with everyone having a chance at #1.
So in your scenario we could do no less than one spot lower to seventh and be in on Laf. Whereas Det can go from Laf to 7th. Interesting.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I don't think 1OA was ever in our sights. Now Byfield is a mighty fine consolation.
Although, Laf would set the team up to be exciting for years to come and players would come in FA.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
So in your scenario we could do no less than one spot lower to seventh and be in on Laf. Whereas Det can go from Laf to 7th. Interesting.

Well, that would be a dream scenario but I don’t think we will see all 7 teams move.

I think they’ll stick with the top 3 spots up for lottery but only amongst the 7 teams not in the playoff thing. I fear they’ll adjust the weighting to give the Devils little hope to move up; I hope they’ll actually flatten the odds amongst the 7 teams for the same reasoning they allowed 24 teams in the playoff thing.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Well, that would be a dream scenario but I don’t think we will see all 7 teams move.

I think they’ll stick with the top 3 spots up for lottery but only amongst the 7 teams not in the playoff thing. I fear they’ll adjust the weighting to give the Devils little hope to move up; I hope they’ll actually flatten the odds amongst the 7 teams for the same reasoning they allowed 24 teams in the playoff thing.

I was wondering the same thing but I don’t see how Detroit or Ottawa would agree to even odds for all 7 teams. Then again with tiered odds like normal, teams at 5,6 and 7 seem to lose out on the playoffs and get the normal harder odds of moving up.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Agree with "not 7 teams moving" but what I was saying is we cannot fall lower than one spot. I really dont see where we can 1OA so I am not holding my breath waiting for it.
If we can walk away with a Holtz or Drysdale, I am fine at 6th. Sanderson seems to keep climbing the ranks and if our scouts like him maybe with our second pick, although some have him now at 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad