Around the League 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I’m interested in seeing if someone offer sheets Brayden Point. Given the choice of Point or Marner, I think I would go with Point and I’m a Marner fan.

Both are excellent hockey players.

Reactions: KINGS17

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I’m interested in seeing if someone offer sheets Brayden Point. Given the choice of Point or Marner, I think I would go with Point and I’m a Marner fan.

Both are excellent hockey players.

Pretty hefty price when you think about what they're both going to get paid. Between 6-8 mil which is what... 2 first, a 2nd and a 3rd?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Pretty hefty price when you think about what they're both going to get paid. Between 6-8 mil which is what... 2 first, a 2nd and a 3rd?

They're getting more than that. Firstly, no way they sign an offer sheet for that low of a price, and secondly, Tampa Bay and Toronto would be happy to see such a scenario play out because they'd gladly match and sign those contracts.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think it would have to be Dion going the other way and Toronto then buying him out.
That would be a minor victory for Blake. I would rather he keep Phaneuf and get a prospect/pick from Toronto in a deal to take Marleau.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
They're getting more than that. Firstly, no way they sign an offer sheet for that low of a price, and secondly, Tampa Bay and Toronto would be happy to see such a scenario play out because they'd gladly match and sign those contracts.
Agreed, and that's why it isn't necessary for Toronto or TB to give these guys the moon on their second contracts.

For example, what if Toronto tells Marner, "No, it's four years at $8M a season." What is he going to do sit out? If another team comes in with a better deal on an offer sheet then Toronto can weigh their options at that time.

It has to come to a point where a GM tells an agent, "Look our objective is to win a Stanley Cup here, not make every single one of your clients happy." This is especially true when it comes to RFAs.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think it would have to be Dion going the other way and Toronto then buying him out.
There does not seem to be a fit at the moment. Kings are in a similar position of wanting to unload salaries. For them to take on Zaitsev they would most definitely ask for an asset.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Or Simmonds this year. He had what, 1 goal in the 17 games with them? Then there's the playoffs, no goals in his last 14 games, including this year.

David Poile seems to get props from the media about how he's such a good GM. I know he stole Frosberg from the Caps but his recent deadline record despite that move isn't stellar.

As mentioned above, Simmonds, Hartman, did he not once trade a 1st for Paul Gaustad at the deadline?

I wasn't too big on the Granlund for Fiala trade as others were. I think that trade could end up working out better for the Wild in the long run.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
David Poile seems to get props from the media about how he's such a good GM. I know he stole Frosberg from the Caps but his recent deadline record despite that move isn't stellar.

As mentioned above, Simmonds, Hartman, did he not once trade a 1st for Paul Gaustad at the deadline?

I wasn't too big on the Granlund for Fiala trade as others were. I think that trade could end up working out better for the Wild in the long run.
Agree - GMs go crazy trying to get over the hump to get into the playoffs/win a round/go to the finals/win the Cup. If they didn’t, the trade deadline would be boring.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I like how Nashville have let Poile stay there through ups and downs. All GM's are going to have good and bad deals when there are around as long as he is, but I think in general is work has been better than not. He does tend to spend high picks at the deadline, but then he also does good work with his contract extensions (unless Weber recapture bites them)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

1st for Gaustad was in 2012 which was expected to be a below average draft year; Kyle Quincey fetched a 1st that year, albeit that netted Andrei Vasilevskiy for Tampa.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think we can safely say we won that trade with Philly.

2 cups will always give the edge to LA. Still does not mean it was a bad trade for the Flyers.

They flow chart of that deal is still TBD are the flyers used Simmonds for a first. If that 1st turns into a star Flyers fans will still be able to feel happy with it. I am presuming several do and should anyway

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thought that trade was always going to be seen as a win now for la, win later for philly. dont see why that would change now, both teams have benefited.

LA got exactly what they wanted, the only question is to what degree did Philly?

Reactions: YP44

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah Poile is getting desperate which is why he would have been a great trading partner in a deal for Carter a couple of years ago.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

The respect that Poile gets is just beyond me. 39 seasons as a GM with 1 Finals appearances and 3 division banners is not that stellar. I get that a bunch of years were with an expansion team and another previously bad team, but his accomplishments do not really mirror his hype.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I guess any team fortunate enough to sign Artemi Panarin will not only be getting an extremely talented player, but they would also be gaining a new team enforcer as well.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I guess any team fortunate enough to sign Artemi Panarin will not only be getting an extremely talented player, but they would also be gaining a new team enforcer as well.

I still think he is heading to Florida. They have the cap space and a lot of young talent. Panarin and Bob could be difference makers there. Florida should be cautious regarding the length of the contracts though, especially with Bob.

Not sure how Florida is going to unload Reimer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad