Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Losing at that stage to that team with that fan base would require me to officially resign from my HF account.
Good thing Jets won't lose ;)
A 7 game series, Jets team have more horses.

The only thing Leafs have better depth is at C.

But i think
Lowry can at least neutralize and punish Matthews. Matthews is good so he will find a way here and there but not as much damage.
Schiefele vs. Tavares?? Schiefele i take him any time of the day head to head.
Little vs Kadri. Who's Kadris wingers?
Jets have superior wingers depth to compensate.
Im not even going to discuss defense and goalie.

So your safe ;)

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I've noticed Buff appearing pretty high on recent league-wide player rankings
Obviously these are subjective and meaningless, but it's cool to see him get some recognition

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Good thing Jets won't lose ;)
A 7 game series, Jets team have more horses.

The only thing Leafs have better depth is at C.

But i think
Lowry can at least neutralize and punish Matthews. Matthews is good so he will find a way here and there but not as much damage.
Schiefele vs. Tavares?? Schiefele i take him any time of the day head to head.
Little vs Kadri. Who's Kadris wingers?
Jets have superior wingers depth to compensate.
Im not even going to discuss defense and goalie.

So your safe ;)

Yeah, leaf fans turn sour very quick once their defence and goaltending is questioned .....

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, leaf fans turn sour very quick once their defence and goaltending is questioned .....

I find most fan bases are very different on the main board vs their own board. If you go on a leaf thread on their own board it’s usually pretty good unless it’s a GDT after a loss of coarse.

Main board people just don’t play nice together for the most part.

Reactions: Duke749

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I find most fan bases are very different on the main board vs their own board. If you go on a leaf thread on their own board it’s usually pretty good unless it’s a GDT after a loss of coarse.

They are out in full force now. Part of me wants to see what Tavares can do with a good offence around him. The other part of me reading their obnoxious posts wants me to see them fall flat on their faces out of the gate and never recover...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They are out in full force now. Part of me wants to see what Tavares can do with a good offence around him. The other part of me reading their obnoxious posts wants me to see them fall flat on their faces out of the gate and never recover...

Yea I really avoid the main board. Lately I have been busy and keeping up with the Jets board is tough enough.

I was chatting with a Leaf fan about this....when teams are building their core through the draft “speculation-debate” is omnipresent since the product on the ice sucks and the 1st round picks are high end. Once the base is built and those picks and prospects mature and the window opens (like the Jets and leafs) the debate is less relavent because all the speculating is over and it’s time to prove it NOW.

It’s time for orgs like the Canucks to replace us and sit around and wax about someday maybe and obsess about their new toys from the draft.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I find it a whole different mindset on the main boards especially the trade board. For the most part there is no effort to learn from each other or explore options. Mostly just those who want to get into a pissing match.

Reactions: ps241

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Report saying Seguin disappointed on how extension negotiations are going. Winnipeg TDL acquisition, book it.

:sarcasm:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Leafs being cup favourites is an easy bookie guidance. They gained Tavares while losing a few key players and not fixing their defense. I don't think the team will be terrible, but the oilers had the odds last season, so...

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I've noticed Buff appearing pretty high on recent league-wide player rankings
Obviously these are subjective and meaningless, but it's cool to see him get some recognition

And yet again, Buff at #38 of Sportsnet's top 100 :nod:

Other Jets in 31-100 range:
Ehlers at 84
Hellebuyck at 64

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
6 players in the top 100

What's with this #44 & #8 demanding all this money. They get top line minutes both can't even crack the top 100 :)

Seriously

6 in top 100

You still have
Trouba
Morrissey
Connor

Knocking outside the door.

Little was consistsnt top 100 before.
Hoping for a bounce back year.

Reactions: Saidin and SLAYER

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
He hasn't earned that yet. Flames assuming he will. Gamble is right.
you never know. he hasn't shown much to date. then again, Kulikov's making $4.3 mil but shorter term. who would i rather have based on their actual play and not on their theoretical ceiling?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
you never know. he hasn't shown much to date. then again, Kulikov's making $4.3 mil but shorter term. who would i rather have based on their actual play and not on their theoretical ceiling?

Clearly rather have Hanifin - but I never liked the Kulikov contract. I liked him at 2x3.

Based on what he has shown so far, rather than his draft ranking, Hanifin would have looked like a 2 year 'show me' deal to me. 2x2.5 would be about right.

Edit: If using this as a comp, then Morrissey should get 6x6, easily.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Clearly rather have Hanifin - but I never liked the Kulikov contract. I liked him at 2x3.

Based on what he has shown so far, rather than his draft ranking, Hanifin would have looked like a 2 year 'show me' deal to me. 2x2.5 would be about right.

Edit: If using this as a comp, then Morrissey should get 6x6, easily.
i'd be over the moon if Moz took 6 x 6. Hanifin reminds me progress-wise of Luke Schenn. high pick, never really turned into a stud, i'd be fine if he was my 4-6 D-man (but likely 5-6). wouldn't spend $5 mil/year on that.
but Hanifin has that 1st round dazzle and that what-if ceiling that gets old-school GMs all hot and bothered.
Bennett and Walt Jr need contracts next year. They don't have a starting goalie under contract. think they have around $12 mil in cap room. i'm still not enamoured with their forwards, even with Old Man Neal signed. so who knows.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
i'd be over the moon if Moz took 6 x 6. Hanifin reminds me progress-wise of Luke Schenn. high pick, never really turned into a stud, i'd be fine if he was my 4-6 D-man (but likely 5-6). wouldn't spend $5 mil/year on that.
but Hanifin has that 1st round dazzle and that what-if ceiling that gets old-school GMs all hot and bothered.
Bennett and Walt Jr need contracts next year. They don't have a starting goalie under contract. think they have around $12 mil in cap room. i'm still not enamoured with their forwards, even with Old Man Neal signed. so who knows.

Hanifin is still young though. At 21 years of age he has hardly reached his peak. He just gets compared a lot to Werenski and Provorov who have made bigger impacts so far. But he is still tracking well for a 21 year old defender.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think Hanifin will have a breakout year in CGY. Kid is two years younger than JoMo and only 21 years old still lots of room to grow. He does have 200+ games already under his belt which is quite a lot for a 21 year old. Bigger Dman tend to take a little long to fill out and progress. He's been a 30ish pt Dman on a team that has been bottom 1/3 in goals for. He has the physical tools and youth on his side, just needs to put it together... Could have gotten the bridge and cashed in when he starts entering his prime.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hanifin is still young though. At 21 years of age he has hardly reached his peak. He just gets compared a lot to Werenski and Provorov who have made bigger impacts so far. But he is still tracking well for a 21 year old defender.

I think Hanifin will have a breakout year in CGY. Kid is two years younger than JoMo and only 21 years old still lots of room to grow. He does have 200+ games already under his belt which is quite a lot for a 21 year old. Bigger Dman tend to take a little long to fill out and progress. He's been a 30ish pt Dman on a team that has been bottom 1/3 in goals for. He has the physical tools and youth on his side, just needs to put it together... Could have gotten the bridge and cashed in when he starts entering his prime.

It isn't just comparing him to his draft peers. He really hasn't been that good. At 21 he still has lots of potential but there is no guarantee he steps up and achieves it. I think it is pretty much a coin toss at this point. He might very well have that breakout year, or he might just plateau where he is. I lean toward the breakout year but without much confidence.

This contract could turn out to be a bargain or a boat anchor. Definitely a gamble.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It isn't just comparing him to his draft peers. He really hasn't been that good. At 21 he still has lots of potential but there is no guarantee he steps up and achieves it. I think it is pretty much a coin toss at this point. He might very well have that breakout year, or he might just plateau where he is. I lean toward the breakout year but without much confidence.

This contract could turn out to be a bargain or a boat anchor. Definitely a gamble.

He's been as good as Trouba was at the same age, in some cases arguably better. Remember he's been playing on one of the worst teams in the league over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad