Around the League 2018-19 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmattack

Jan 10, 2019
The Flames are having a great season no doubt, but they are team no one will believe are the real deal until they actually prove it. They are a hugely inconsistent and fairly inept franchise.

They haven't been hugely inconsistent in the first half of this year. (they have been on top of the West for weeks) Being an inept franchise in the past really means zip on the rest of the year and beyond. I mean are you going to say they won't amount to anything because of Craig Buttons management of the team?

What do you mean by proving it? Proving it mean winning the cup? How long did it take Ovie to prove it? The Flames may never prove it, all i am saying is right now this has been their best shot since the teams of the 80's/90's let's see how they handle it

cmattack

Jan 10, 2019
wait...what??

I am comparing 21 year old Hannifin (3.5 years in the league) to 25 year old Hamilton (6.5 years in the league) who at 21 is on pace to match Hamiltons career point totals without the luxury of playing with Gio. When you look at age/point production/defensive ability/contract...I would actually take Hannifin the 21 year old over Hamilton the 25 year old at this point.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
They haven't been hugely inconsistent in the first half of this year. (they have been on top of the West for weeks) Being an inept franchise in the past really means zip on the rest of the year and beyond. I mean are you going to say they won't amount to anything because of Craig Buttons management of the team?

What do you mean by proving it? Proving it mean winning the cup? How long did it take Ovie to prove it? The Flames may never prove it, all i am saying is right now this has been their best shot since the teams of the 80's/90's let's see how they handle it
Inconsistent in that they've made the playoffs, what, 6 or 7 times in 25 years. They've made it out of the first round twice in 30 years or whatever? That's what I mean. They are one of the bottom tier franchises in the NHL (with us probably) in terms of success. To get respect they need to consistently make the playoffs and do damage. Pretty simple.

cmattack

Jan 10, 2019
Inconsistent in that they've made the playoffs, what, 6 or 7 times in 25 years. They've made it out of the first round twice in 30 years or whatever? That's what I mean. They are one of the bottom tier franchises in the NHL (with us probably) in terms of success. To get respect they need to consistently make the playoffs and do damage. Pretty simple.
And none of that has any bearing on this year. (For either franchise) There are very very very few franchises in the history of this league that haven't had big stretches of stinking. Both Calgary and Edmonton have also been "small market" between the lock out in the mid 90's and the one in the mid 2000's. So i really don't care about the history of any franchise - I care about right now and forward. And frankly either Edmonton or Calgary aren't even the worst....

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
If this Coyotes team was healthy they'd be in a wildcard spot right now IMO. Really impressed with their forward depth. Not sure who this Garland kid is but he's been impressive every time I've watched him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
If this Coyotes team was healthy they'd be in a wildcard spot right now IMO. Really impressed with their forward depth. Not sure who this Garland kid is but he's been impressive every time I've watched him.
they have Keller and Galchenyuk...who's pretty "meh"
they have Schmaltz but it's early and paid a big price to get him

not that great

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
they have Keller and Galchenyuk...who's pretty "meh"
they have Schmaltz but it's early and paid a big price to get him

not that great
Stepan, Panik, Grabner, Richardson, Hinostroza, and Garland are all guys I like quite a bit. They just lack top end talent.

Their top 4 when Demers is healthy is solid as well, and a healthy Raanta is top 5 in the NHL. I hope they win the draft lottery this year, Hughes would do wonders for them. The league is increasingly star driven and they've had some really unfortunate draft lottery luck.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I see Portzline has replaced Larry Brooks for Trots. Had a real good chuckle watching the clip about Bob.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
it is absolutely ridiculous that there are 6 players on pace for +120 pts this year
The sad thing is we don't hear as much about this as we should. The NHL really could be selling itself. Instead they are just worried about Seattle and the World Cup.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Stepan, Panik, Grabner, Richardson, Hinostroza, and Garland are all guys I like quite a bit. They just lack top end talent.

Their top 4 when Demers is healthy is solid as well, and a healthy Raanta is top 5 in the NHL. I hope they win the draft lottery this year, Hughes would do wonders for them. The league is increasingly star driven and they've had some really unfortunate draft lottery luck.

Theyve built a really solid team top to bottom. Sucks that this year they ran head first into injuries. They are still somewhat afloat despite that

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Theyve built a really solid team top to bottom. Sucks that this year they ran head first into injuries. They are still somewhat afloat despite that
no they haven't, they're below .500 and 2nd last in the division :laugh:

and the injury excuse doesn't fly because like the Oilers, they don't have the depth to overcome it

they also traded away Max Domi and Dylan Strome, both of whom are thriving elsewhere (as I mentioned, Schmaltz is a googd player, but he already had a 50-point season in Chicago)

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
They've got an excellent supporting cast and a legit #1 (when healthy) but that lack of top end talent is going to hold them back. I'd love to see them offersheet one of the Toronto RFA's this summer.
no they haven't, they're below .500 and 2nd last in the division :laugh:

and the injury excuse doesn't fly because like the Oilers, they don't have the depth to overcome it

they also traded away Max Domi and Dylan Strome, both of whom are thriving elsewhere (as I mentioned, Schmaltz is a googd player, but he already had a 50-point season in Chicago)
They lost their starting goaltender, top pairing defenseman, a top line forward, and a winger who scores 25+ goals and is their best PKer.

We have McDavid and we're only 4 points ahead of them, with 1 more game played.

Domi is overrated IMO and Schmaltz is better than Strome.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
They lost their starting goaltender,
who's still unproven to be able to carry the load for the season and his .906 save% doesn't inspire confidence

top pairing defenseman,
who's that? OEL has been healthy all year.

a top line forward, and a winger who scores 25+ goals and is their best PKer.
37-point Dvorak?

We have McDavid and we're only 4 points ahead of them, with 1 more game played.
we've also been missing our top defensemen for a month now if injuries are the excuse

Domi is overrated IMO and Schmaltz is better than Strome.
point is, both got better when leaving Arizona...

Reactions: LaGu

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
who's still unproven to be able to carry the load for the season and his .906 save% doesn't inspire confidence
He had a .930 sv% last season and was leading the NHL in GAA this year before he tweaked something and eventually gotput on IR.
who's that? OEL has been healthy all year.
Demers.
we've also been missing our top defensemen for a month now if injuries are the excuse
Now imagine if Koskinen, RNH, and Chiasson got injured long-term too. That's what the Coyotes are dealing with.
point is, both got better when leaving Arizona...
I think Domi has had a hot start but I'm not sold on him being able to sustain it. Strome I can't see being an impact player since his skating hasn't improved at all since he was drafted.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
lol, he's never playing top-pairing minutes
he's on his 3rd team in 5 years and was on pace for 14 points all season
the absolute definition of "statistically overrated"

Now imagine if Koskinen, RNH, and Chiasson got injured long-term too. That's what the Coyotes are dealing with.
tough to compare since the Yotes don't have a player equivalent to RNH on their roster

Reactions: TB12 and North

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Flames fans are really mad about Draisaitl getting into the All-Star Game.

O5QVaRN.gif

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
The salt in that thread is unbelievable. Who cares? I can count how many times there were players who did and didn't deserve to be at the ASG on the Oilers, but I didn't care. Just enjoy your season and don't be a dick about it. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad