Around the League 2018-19 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
didn't he give up a 1st and 2nd for Hamonic?
and another 2nd for Lazar?

Forgot about 2nd for Lazar, that was bad

But Hamonic for 1st + 2 2nds is an overpay, but only an overpay depending on the situtation. They got a top 4, serviceable D. They need to win now, and this trade helps them do that. For me that trade is a coin flip (I think Hamonic is overrated, but picks are often more overrated). If Chiarelli had done that trade I dont think it would be horrible

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The Flames have missed the playoffs 7 of the last 9 years. When the Oilers were making a challenge for the division crown two years ago, everyone was asking "Is this Oilers season an outlier or have they finally turned the corner?"

The same question applies to Calgary. Is this season an outlier or have they finally turned the corner?

Next season will tell the real story.

I think a major difference is that the Flames have been in the hunt most of those teams. And in the different years theyd often play 30 games red hot and then 25 games really bad, and those 25 games would sink them. But they would have a stretch where youd think "if they did this for 50 games, they are top 5 in the conference".

Contrast to the Oilers who just sucked for 82 games and were out of the picture by mid November

The 16/17 Oilers also had TON of luck, similar to 14/15 Flames. Both instances it was easy to forsee regression. Now the Flames are doing it with very sound underlying numbers

North

Jun 25, 2009
The Flames have missed the playoffs 7 of the last 9 years. When the Oilers were making a challenge for the division crown two years ago, everyone was asking "Is this Oilers season an outlier or have they finally turned the corner?"

The same question applies to Calgary. Is this season an outlier or have they finally turned the corner?

Next season will tell the real story.

This is why I'm hesitant to anoint them.

We've seen this story with our team just two seasons ago and with their team a few times when they get a new coach.

Reactions: McFuhryous

cmattack

Jan 10, 2019
This is why I'm hesitant to anoint them.

We've seen this story with our team just two seasons ago and with their team a few times when they get a new coach.

I think this year is much different than 2 years ago (14/15)

Gaudeau has reached another level
Monahan pretty much the same but plays with next level Gaudeau
You switch out Ferland/Hudler for Lindholm - Lindholm looks like he reached his potential with the above two

You add Mathew Tkachuk (2 seasons under his belt)
Giordano is a hell of a defenceman - back to Norris calibre like he was in 14/15 - brings Brodies game up a level
Hannifin = Hamilton but Hamilton needed Giordano to effective - Hannifin doesn't
Hamonic back to playing how he should

Defensive depth
Andersson, Stone, kylington, Valimaki - nothing flashy just steady mistake free defenders - much better than that bottom pairing circus they had 14/15

Just a completely different team - Most of my Flames buddies blame the last 2 seasons on current Oilers assistant Glen Glutzan

But having all that if they do make the playoffs they could be swept in the first round = but the Flames are going to be good for the next 5 years

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think this year is much different than 2 years ago (14/15)

You switch out Ferland/Hudler for Lindholm - Lindholm looks like he reached his potential with the above two

Giordano is a hell of a defenceman - back to Norris calibre like he was in 14/15 - brings Brodies game up a level
Hannifin = Hamilton but Hamilton needed Giordano to effective - Hannifin doesn't

Defensive depth
Andersson, Stone, kylington, Valimaki - nothing flashy just steady mistake free defenders - much better than that bottom pairing circus they had 14/15

Just a completely different team - Most of my Flames buddies blame the last 2 seasons on current Oilers assistant Glen Glutzan

But having all that if they do make the playoffs they could be swept in the first round = but the Flames are going to be good for the next 5 years

I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: TB12

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
The Flames are having a great season no doubt, but they are team no one will believe are the real deal until they actually prove it. They are a hugely inconsistent and fairly inept franchise.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Forgot about 2nd for Lazar, that was bad

But Hamonic for 1st + 2 2nds is an overpay, but only an overpay depending on the situtation. They got a top 4, serviceable D. They need to win now, and this trade helps them do that. For me that trade is a coin flip (I think Hamonic is overrated, but picks are often more overrated). If Chiarelli had done that trade I dont think it would be horrible
depends on which Hamonic they get though...last year he had 1 goal and 11 points

amazing what a year can do to a players value

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

wait...what??

way too early to say...especially with Tkachuk looking for a huge payday

North

Jun 25, 2009
depends on which Hamonic they get though...last year he had 1 goal and 11 points

He had 3 not great seasons before this one and all the sudden he's worth a first and two seconds because he's playing well this season. No way.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I personally just dont value picks as much as the next person. Ive always been down on Hamonic more than most, but atleast Calgary got a top 4 D. Chiarelli and the Oilers didnt even get back an NHL D for nearly the same price

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I personally just dont value picks as much as the next person. Ive always been down on Hamonic more than most, but atleast Calgary got a top 4 D. Chiarelli and the Oilers didnt even get back an NHL D for nearly the same price

Oilers can't afford to give away 1st and 2nd rounders though...especially since they whiffed on the Reinhart deal so badly already that it killed our prospect depth

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oilers can't afford to give away 1st and 2nd rounders though...especially since they whiffed on the Reinhart deal so badly already that it killed our prospect depth

Not sure what your getting at. Im saying the Oilers should trade for Hamonic now

If the Oilers didnt do the Reinhart trade, they could have afforded to Hamonic deal. I would have preferred neither deal, but I could have lived with the Hamonic trade. Reinhart trade was 100X as bad

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
NYI up 2-1 on the Rangers right now. Goals by:

Strome
Barzal
Eberle

QmQo76N.gif

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think a major difference is that the Flames have been in the hunt most of those teams. And in the different years theyd often play 30 games red hot and then 25 games really bad, and those 25 games would sink them. But they would have a stretch where youd think "if they did this for 50 games, they are top 5 in the conference".

Contrast to the Oilers who just sucked for 82 games and were out of the picture by mid November

The 16/17 Oilers also had TON of luck, similar to 14/15 Flames. Both instances it was easy to forsee regression. Now the Flames are doing it with very sound underlying numbers

Going back through the standings, I don't agree they were in the hunt for most of those seasons. In the past nine seasons, they missed the post season by 5 or less points three times. The other four seasons were double digit misses in points. The year they finished 3rd in the Pac was with 97 points and LA finished with 95 so they barely snuck in (in my opinion) as the wild card teams had more points than Calgary.

They've really done SFA to impress me, including this year. They've got about 6 or 7 wins where they pulled a rabbit out of their ass in the dying minutes or seconds to tie the game and win on OT. As I've said before, they could just as easily be 10+ points lower without those late game comebacks.

I'm not crowning them "the team to beat" in the Pacific yet either.

cmattack

Jan 10, 2019
I'll believe it when I see it.

Understood it is season 1 of them being much more consistent - And i am just talking regular seasons - playoffs are a different beast and they haven't proven anything there at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad