Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
redditor fans were pissed. they wanted:

1.) main body color to be dark purple, instead of black
2.) teal in the triangle
3.) match the hockey sticks color with the ducks logo on the shoulders

X1LCwseB84zSsv-BE8O3Ce1d0DkQDnPJaDN-8tsROPs.jpg

once they pointed it out, i was like "yeah... this would've been better."

The silver on the shoulders needs to come off. Otherwise I kinda like them. The color scheme is excellent

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Nothing to see here besides cap circumvention move along everyone. Absolutely ridiculous. If a team trades for a cap dump you shouldn’t be able to buy him out and definitely shouldn’t be able to resign him

wow…just wow…..

so if i read this right, the caps traded him to the avs who bought out his one year 5.5M and the caps turned around and signed him back at just 1M?

(avs paying 1.5M for each of the next 2 years)….some real good inter-conference scheming here

hossa and the hawks would be proud that they got away with this

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The nhl has to stop teams from doing cap dumps like this plain and simple. You want a reduced cap hit? Buy the guy out no more using other teams as an offshore bank account to get cap relief

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Well, they did have to package Grubauer with Orpik to move him in the first place, so it's not quite as blatant as it could have been. How long until Arizona does this for somebody?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Plus Orpik 'could' have signed somewhere else. If he was getting offers for more than a million he wouldn't have sat out there for a month.

But yeah if you can't sign players once you buy them out you shouldn't be able to do a sign-and-trade which basically accomplishes the same thing.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Well, they did have to package Grubauer with Orpik to move him in the first place, so it's not quite as blatant as it could have been. How long until Arizona does this for somebody?

Arizona won't do it because it costs real dollars. It's a very rare scenario - so rare in fact that I don't think we've seen it since the salary cap has been around.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There was a rumor that the Caps would bring him back after they traded him to Colorado and Colorado bought him out. I thought it sounded ridiculous at the time, but looks like it was right? I can't see there having been too much interest in him, at least not from many competitive teams.

And yeah, totally cap circumvention. This is a joke that this is allowed to happen. If it isn't obvious that this was all calculated beforehand by MacLellan, who likely knew Colorado would buy him out, then he'd become a UFA and they'd bring him back. It's almost like they purposely waited 3 weeks after UFA to sign him to make it look like this wasn't the case and to fool everybody.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Of course we probably wouldn't be nearly as outraged if we had a similar cap situation and we did the same thing with Greene or Zajac.:sarcasm:

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Regarding the trade/buyout situation.

I think if you trade for a player, you shouldn't be allowed to buy him out until 1 year after the date of the trade. (or one full season) So Colorado shouldn't have been allowed to buyout Orpik until next summer. Thats what I think is a logical solution

Reactions: Hypernova

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Maybe the second year scared Ray away.

Hamhuis had previously stated a preference to stay in the West, albeit Nashville isn't exactly west west. But he spent the beginning of his career in Nashville, so he probably has some comfort level there.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Jarome Iginla officially retiring now.

I was looking up the Iginla/Nieuwendyk trade recently, and I was surprised to see that the Devils were among the rumored destinations. The article mentioned Bill Guerin as being the centerpiece of our offer, presumably some time in the fall of 1995. Just interesting to know that Guerin turned into Arnott who sorta turned into Nieuwendyk.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Regarding the trade/buyout situation.

I think if you trade for a player, you shouldn't be allowed to buy him out until 1 year after the date of the trade. (or one full season) So Colorado shouldn't have been allowed to buyout Orpik until next summer. Thats what I think is a logical solution

100% i really hope they fix this situation in the next cba but they wont.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Jarome Iginla officially retiring now.

I was looking up the Iginla/Nieuwendyk trade recently, and I was surprised to see that the Devils were among the rumored destinations. The article mentioned Bill Guerin as being the centerpiece of our offer, presumably some time in the fall of 1995. Just interesting to know that Guerin turned into Arnott who sorta turned into Nieuwendyk.
He'll of a player, shame he never got his cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad