Around the League 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
but to think that signing one of the best and most successful coaches over the past 10-20 years won't drastically improve the team next year seems more like denial

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
but to think that signing one of the best and most successful coaches over the past 10-20 years won't drastically improve the team next year seems more like denial
It is denial.

I'm not one of those DD types who have been on the Florida bandwagon. But to say they don't have talent or a decent team on paper is nonsense. They have a legit top 6 and and a decent top pairing on D. Some all-star level coaching (which they will now have) and maybe some better goaltending and they are in the playoffs, a la this year's Islanders.

The problem with the Panthers has not been so much talent as it is poor management/leadership (and specifically for this past season, goaltending). Hiring Q closes some of that gap by a decent margin.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It is denial.

I'm not one of those DD types who have been on the Florida bandwagon. But to say they don't have talent or a decent team on paper is nonsense. They have a legit top 6 and and a decent top pairing on D. Some all-star level coaching (which they will now have) and maybe some better goaltending and they are in the playoffs, a la this year's Islanders.

The problem with the Panthers has not been so much talent as it is poor management/leadership (and specifically for this past season, goaltending). Hiring Q closes some of that gap by a decent margin.

A quick look at their stats suggests you are correct. They have four very good pieces of a top six and two ok pieces. They have a legit first pairing on D. They also had remarkably good health this season with virtually all their top players making it into the lineup for all 82 games. That part may or may not be repeatable. They are also a minus team by a decent margin stats wise. I’d expect scoring numbers to go down as plus minus rises under Quenneville. If they add Panarin and Bob and Bob lives up to the hype they can be a very good team next year. We will see.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
random since i don't know details, but whats the diff between voynov and austin watson? both are alleged domestic abusers, but voynov is suspended again for '19-'20? or were there diff charges

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
It is denial.

agreed. and they have 11 draft picks this year. 11. if they knock the draft out of the park and sign bread/bob...watch out

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Odds are Florida's not keeping all 11 picks since they are clearly gearing up for a win-now run.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Florida is going to be a good case study in what not to do.

They are going to try and blow the bank in free agency, and as a result they might make the playoffs if they get lucky.

It will be fool’s gold as they won’t be legitmately good enough to contend, and will be stuck without the cap space or high draft picks to build a real contender.

Going all in just to make the playoffs once or twice and get bounced in the first round isn’t a recipe for success.

Except they have their core in Trocheck, Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Yandle, and Matheson all locked up on terrific deals.

If there were a team that should (and can afford to) break the bank on Panarin/Bobrovsky to bolster their roster it's them.

They have an elite #1 C in Barkov signed for 5.9 million, a legitimate 1LW in Huberdeau for 5.9 million, and Trocheck who is a 1C on a good chunk of teams signed for 4.75. All signed for the next three years at least. Giving Panarin ~10 million isn't going to hurt them at all.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
trochek missed most of this season with a broken leg

He played 55 games and he’s one guy. Of the top ten scorers on FL, other than Trochek (who wasn’t lighting it up) they missed a combined 11 games all season. Of those I think ten of those games were by scorers eight and ten or something close to that. NJ probably had multiple weeks where their top ten scorers missed more than 11 games combined. It’s not a big deal just an observation.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The amount of *****ing they did over this. They got gifted a top 5 pick, but they spent all night crying.

To be fair, 2 of the last 3 drafts they've had a pick with the highest odds of winning the lottery and ended up picking 4th overall instead both times. I'd probably be a little bitter too.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The amount of *****ing they did over this. They got gifted a top 5 pick, but they spent all night crying.

Honestly I wouldn't blame them for thinking the gods might have owed them one after getting bumped down from 1-4 two years ago and they get bumped down three spots again. The most relieved person in the hockey world after last night besides Shero, is Dorion - who didn't get Billy King'ed :P

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Bleedred old buddy named HC in LA
I always welcome a BAD coach going to a division rival of my favorite teams.

And LA doesn't look like they'll be all that competitive the next few years anyway, unless they clear some salaries and Blake does some work.

I don't care if Edmonton still sucked after he left, this guy is bad, unless you have a stacked roster. And what you have a stacked roster, what coach isn't good? Even Hartley, Carlyle and Bylsma all have cups this century as head coaches.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
@Bleedred : Sorry, but I have to root against the Sharks now that you changed your avatar. I can't recognize you anymore :skeptic:

2umd3j.jpg

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ok... WTF???

I just don't understand these expansion rules. Not even one little bit.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It means they’re burning a protected slot on him in the expansion draft if he plays in the playoffs but won’t have to if he just practices.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It means they’re burning a protected slot on him in the expansion draft if he plays in the playoffs but won’t have to if he just practices.
Well ya, I know what it means. I just don't understand why he'd be eligible for the draft.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I just don't understand these expansion rules. Not even one little bit.

Anyone who plays an NHL game this year is going to be theoretically eligible, as well as anyone over 20 whose first North American pro season was this season - if Makar plays one game, he will have played 3 professional seasons by 2021. Anyone whose first pro season is next season will not be eligible.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Anyone who plays an NHL game this year is going to be theoretically eligible, as well as anyone over 20 whose first North American pro season was this season - if Makar plays one game, he will have played 3 professional seasons by 2021. Anyone whose first pro season is next season will not be eligible.
Oooh... if he plays a game in the playoffs. Oh duh. I thought they meant next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad