Around the League 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
God I hate the Rangers. Everything just comes so much easier to them.

Today they got Adam Fox, one of the best players in the world outside the NHL and will be a big time defenseman in the league.

They have Shestorkin, Kravtsov and Rykov on the way from Russia this summer.

They will get Kakko.

And they will probably end up with one of Panarin/Karlsson on July 1....

God I hate the Devils. Everything just comes so much easier to them.

They got Jack Hughes, one of the best players in the world outside the NHL and will be a big time center in the league

They have Boqvist coming over from Sweden and Ty Smith coming up from the WHL.

And they will probably end up with one of Skinner/Eberle on July 1....

How'd I do?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Today they got Adam Fox, one of the best players in the world outside the NHL and will be a big time defenseman in the league.

They will get Kakko.

i heard from a ranger fan that rykov isn't coming

Reactions: Nubmer6

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
What is with Harvard kids not wanting to sign with the teams that drafted them? Spoiled brats?

Vesey, Kerfoot and now Fox.

Let's hope Walsh doesn't go down that route.
Let's be honest here, we can hate them because they sign with the Rangers/not us, but if you or I were offered a Harvard degree at an 85% discount...you'd stay 4 years too...it just so turns out that when you do that you get to pick your spot on where you start your career.

I know I'd sign up for that

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Let's be honest here, we can hate them because they sign with the Rangers/not us, but if you or I were offered a Harvard degree at an 85% discount...you'd stay 4 years too...it just so turns out that when you do that you get to pick your spot on where you start your career.

I know I'd sign up for that
Fox signing with the Rangers makes sense, beyond the whole "NYC" idea (though i'm going to assume it was his favorite team growing up - just look at him, he looks like a fan!)

the rags have 0 d-corps depth. Fox signing with them made as much sense as it did when butcher signed with us

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
What is with Harvard kids not wanting to sign with the teams that drafted them? Spoiled brats?

Vesey, Kerfoot and now Fox.

Let's hope Walsh doesn't go down that route.

fox was drafted by calgary who traded him to carolina. it wasn't his choice not to sign with the team that drafted him. walsh will have more of an opportunity here than fox would have on carolina. it's not the same situation

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
however we've also signed santini, wood and davies out of college and landed butcher so let's see what happens

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

They will get Kakko.

If you hate them so much you should enjoy it as much as I do when they inevitably F it all up.

Because that's how they roll in the largest toilet on Broadway. And yes, I am taking port authority and the last nudie booths in to account.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I understand what you’re saying. Where the Leafs stand currently, they have zero leverage. If they can derive some leverage by way of an intense bidding war, I’d tend to agree with you that their cap status won’t have much of an effect on the return. We’re not going to know until it happens, obviously.

My comments pertain more to the Leafs fans that are scoffing at a 2nd + small add for either guy. I think that’s more than fair (especially for Johnsson). Not a shot in hell they get the 1st round pick they’re seeking.

Yeah I don't have much contact with dumb Leafs fans these days, but the Leafs do not have zero leverage. The leverage they have is that teams want good young players and since every team wants that there's not enough of them to go around. I agree they're not getting a 1st for Brown or Johnsson, but I could see a 1st for Kapanen and something. The team isn't going to implode as a result of the cap trouble they're going to run into. They'll lose some depth but make up for it with futures.

Bickell/Teraveine

That's my point. The Leafs don't have a Bickell. They're capped out because they have too many good players and a few bad contracts, but nothing like a deadweight Bickell sort of thing.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I’m just excited for the mid 90’s rivalry to return since it’s good for area hockey. Hopefully we’ll get to see a winter classic between us and them within 2-3 years. I hate to say it, but I like what they’re doing over there.
It is not and never has been good for Devils hockey. I would argue the inverse.

The rags being buried at the bottom of the scrap heap for ~20 years (a la Knicks or Icelanders) with the Devils competing on the regular would grow this franchise significantly more than knocking each other out every other season and the rock still being 60/40 47 years in to the teams existence.

Those rivalries were 'cool' when I was 24 and drunk. Now I don't care to rehash it and want the next generation to see a garbage franchise across the river and take pride in the one in their backyard.

Reactions: Davegarri

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

They got Jack Hughes, one of the best players in the world outside the NHL and will be a big time center in the league

How'd I do?
Splendidly if I do say so myself.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

How'd I do?

Remarkably well actually.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Yeah I don't have much contact with dumb Leafs fans these days, but the Leafs do not have zero leverage. The leverage they have is that teams want good young players and since every team wants that there's not enough of them to go around. I agree they're not getting a 1st for Brown or Johnsson, but I could see a 1st for Kapanen and something. The team isn't going to implode as a result of the cap trouble they're going to run into. They'll lose some depth but make up for it with futures.

That's my point. The Leafs don't have a Bickell. They're capped out because they have too many good players and a few bad contracts, but nothing like a deadweight Bickell sort of thing.
Some would say Marleau is close.
He's not Bickell but he's not Matthews either

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Some would say Marleau is close.
He's not Bickell but he's not Matthews either

Close? He has 1 year left and is still somewhat productive. Plus, he has a big cap hit, but after July 1, he’ll only be owes $1.25 million. For a cash saving, cap floor team, that’s actually a valuable contract.

The biggest issue is with Marleau’s contract is the no movement clause.

Horton is a bigger problem IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad