Around The League 2018-19 IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lots of people blamed a weak defense and poor goaltending last season.

You don't even need to read this article from May last year, the headline says it all.

Islanders' defensive disaster might have wasted final season of John Tavares

The reality is there was never anything wrong with the personnel, only the coaching and decision making.

There are some doozies(articles)on Nick Leddy too...you can almost replace his name put Severson in his place

Reactions: Nubmer6

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
what the hell is a Bogden Kiselevich

The kind of thing that gets followed by a tweet that says Ray Shero has let teams know that depth defenseman Ygor Yakovelev is available.

I guess it is a testament to the relationship the teams have with the actual human players and their families that even moving the peripheral guys on the rosters takes a bit of a toll on the people involved.

Camille the Eel

Lots of people blamed a weak defense and poor goaltending last season.

You don't even need to read this article from May last year, the headline says it all.

Islanders' defensive disaster might have wasted final season of John Tavares

The reality is there was never anything wrong with the personnel, only the coaching and decision making.

There are some doozies(articles)on Nick Leddy too...you can almost replace his name put Severson in his place
Boychuck being healthy is a big thing too. And getting Lehner in to shore up the goaltending. And a slew of young players developing. All their recent # 1 picks performing well.

But yes, Trotz above all. If we ever needed proof of the difference coaching can make, look at the Isles. Trotz is absolutely the gold standard right now (ha ha had written goal standard). He's had success everywhere. Look for instance at the performance he got out of Nashville before they became a mega force.

Reactions: Bleedred

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Very interesting conversation on NHL radio this morning regarding the New York Islanders. last year the Islanders were 31 out of 31 in goals-against average currently they're ranked number 1 in the league what's changed?

Trotz also brought in Mitch Korn who was his longtime goaltending coach in Washington/Nashville. Korn had a good track record of developing guys in Nashville with Pekka Rinne being the obvious guy, but even before that they got decent years from journeymen like Chris Mason, Dan Ellis, Anders Lindback.

Braden Holtby had a rough season with Olie Kolzig as his goalie coach (from what I recall, Kolzig made Holtby play deeper in his net which he never got comfortable with). Korn came in and Holtby's numbers rebounded. Apparently Korn was Dominik Hasek's goalie coach in the early/mid 90s as well.

Reactions: Bleedred and Aethon

Shakir ONeal

Jimmy Hughes
Sep 21, 2017
wonder if hynes is still here if we miss the playoffs badly last year...could've had a shot at Trotz with Shero having a presumably good relationship with him

Camille the Eel

Trotz also brought in Mitch Korn who was his longtime goaltending coach in Washington/Nashville. Korn had a good track record of developing guys in Nashville with Pekka Rinne being the obvious guy, but even before that they got decent years from journeymen like Chris Mason, Dan Ellis, Anders Lindback.

Braden Holtby had a rough season with Olie Kolzig as his goalie coach (from what I recall, Kolzig made Holtby play deeper in his net which he never got comfortable with). Korn came in and Holtby's numbers rebounded. Apparently Korn was Dominik Hasek's goalie coach in the early/mid 90s as well.
Coaching the assistant coaches is a big part of what a head coach does in order to succeed. So to speak.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Looks like the nhl and nhlpa cant even see eye to eye to schedule the world cup in 2020... that's NOT a good sign to avoid another lockout if they cant even agree for something minor like that.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Looks like the nhl and nhlpa cant even see eye to eye to schedule the world cup in 2020... that's NOT a good sign to avoid another lockout if they cant even agree for something minor like that.
I would say a lockout is inevitable, as long as Fehr is in charge. He wants to fight Bettman again.

Even if he wasn't running things, there'd probably still be a lockout like the two times before he was the PA president.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Considering Fehr and Bettman are the biggest reasons for labor strife in two different sports, it'd hardly be surprising if we missed another half season the next CBA battle.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
it’s just stupid, we know both sides are willing to do it as a negotiating tactic just don’t punish the fans and figure something out

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
lol @ dougbob murray for thinking MDZ is gonna help them

can't believe the guy is only 28 though, he's been in the league for so long

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events