Around The League 2018-19 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think he could be a 55-60 point player still, when used better than he's being used now.

He could possibly hit 70 in a good year, but I think even if he did hit that this year, he likely wasn't hitting that next year. It would have been a one time thing. His points per 60 probably isn't that bad.

That said, we all know this guy. Would it really surprise anyone if he decided to skip country again over to the KHL after this debacle? I think Willie's likely gone after this year. I don't see him (or really any of the interim's/hires coming back next year. Even Hitch probably retires again or gets replaced after Chiarelli is fired) coaching there next year.

Maybe he gives it a go next year with them and a new head coach, when he'll be 36 for the entirety of the season.

Signing him for 3 years was probably too much though, it makes him immovable in a situation like right now. They might even be hoping for another disappearance to the KHL for him. Blake might already be planning how to get Kovalchuk to make his next departure, if he doesn't do it voluntarily. He might even be calling up Putin himself asking him to try and talk Kovalchuk into coming back to the KHL or face permanent deportation from Russia.:laugh:

And not because he can't play the next 2 years, as much their cap is really in a bad way and they have too many old guys and he's immovable because of the current situation and he has 2 more years left after this.
Aren't they on the hook for him even if he goes back to the KHL because it's a 35+ contract?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Aren't they on the hook for him even if he goes back to the KHL because it's a 35+ contract?
Ouch! Good catch! They probably are.

In that case, They’d probably try to block him from going to the KHL if that happened, rather than not contest it like we did.

Stuck With Nico

Registered Otaku
Sep 28, 2017
New Hampshire
i don't think kovalchuk is washed up. i think he's being misused over there, and their whole team is trash. willie D is not making things easier for them

I tend to agree with his misuse. He's been a 4th line staple apparently. If you want to get anything out of him at this point in his career he needs to be at least on the 2nd line. But yeah, that team is a dumpster fire right now.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Lol flyers claim McKenna, how is this guy still in the league?

If the Flyers think McKenna solves their goaltending problems, then they have more problems than I first thought. He is barely an AHL backup at this point. Did Neuvirth hurt himself walking to the fridge or are they sending Hart back down to the AHL?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
they might've messed up with his development. hextall was in the right, and i think they'll eventually see it. i expect them to throw out stupid contracts soon, start to suck year-in year-out, and become the oilers of the Metro

There was nothing to suggest he was ready given his 3 GAA and .900 save percentage in the AHL. At least Blackwood was doing well in the AHL before arguably rushing him up.

Reactions: OmNomNom

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If the Flyers think McKenna solves their goaltending problems, then they have more problems than I first thought. He is barely an AHL backup at this point. Did Neuvirth hurt himself walking to the fridge or are they sending Hart back down to the AHL?

The former

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I am not so sure about that. Quite a few posters here have advocated for the Devils to overpay for UFA's to speed up the rebuild. The quickest way to get to where the Kings are now is to overpay UFA's based on past performance.

they overpaid their own players, not UFAs

Kovalchuk is really the only big name UFA they have

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
they overpaid their own players, not UFAs

Kovalchuk is really the only big name UFA they have
Kings fell into the same trap Chicago did, they paid a bunch of guys for what they have done instead of what they will do. It's a massive mistake in the salary cap era.

That is the same reason free agency is a massive risk, as has been discussed endlessly on this board forwards peak around 23-25 and defensemen a few years after that and generally it slowly declines until 30-32, and you are essentially paying a 28-30 year old big money for many more years than their peak will last.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
they might've messed up with his development. hextall was in the right, and i think they'll eventually see it. i expect them to throw out stupid contracts soon, start to suck year-in year-out, and become the oilers of the Metro

Hextall had a plan. We should be happy he got canned and now they are directionless.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Flyers picked up McKenna? What the hell is wrong with them?

Whatever happened to Brian Elliott? He got injured in that game against us like 6 weeks ago or more. Thought he'd be back by now.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
If McKenna is the best goalie available. That just shows you the state of nhl goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad