Around the League, 2018-19 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
really hope he can stay healthy. guy had so much potential before the avs happened

Well he is French Canadian so the Habs definitely would be the team that signs him.
I'm surprised they never signed Beauch, they could create a pairing of Weber/Beauch that moves at 1 mph & everyone just skates around them.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Well he is French Canadian so the Habs definitely would be the team that signs him.
I'm surprised they never signed Beauch, they could create a pairing of Weber/Beauch that moves at 1 mph & everyone just skates around them.

beauch came up in the habs system

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Ok, Grant signs for 650.......1 year with Pens.......

Somebody please explain Rowneys three year higher cap deal to me?

What does Rowney bring?

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Ok, Grant signs for 650.......1 year with Pens.......

Somebody please explain Rowneys three year higher cap deal to me?

What does Rowney bring?
The only thing that makes sense is that they fell in love with tape on him from the ECF against Ottawa. He was an absolute beast on the forecheck. He was very underwhelming last year.

Reactions: pbgoalie

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
The only thing that makes sense is that they fell in love with tape on him from the ECF against Ottawa. He was an absolute beast on the forecheck. He was very underwhelming last year.
Thanks......
Well, Grant was a great surprise, hopefully this signing will be, but it feels a lot like a Bieksa more than Grant discovery.....would love to be wrong

Reactions: froods

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So, let me ask you: do you think Murray failed to offer the same type of deal despite believing grant is the better player?

I think he either didn’t offer the term or doesn’t feel that Grant is the better player. I don’t know though - I don’t pretend to understand the mind of a man who immediately hands Kevin Bieksa a NMC.

Edit - there’s also the very real possibility that Grant simply doesn’t want to play here, either because of taxes or the head coach. But players almost always want term over money, and 4th liners just don’t turn down 3 year contracts.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think he either didn’t offer the term or doesn’t feel that Grant is the better player. I don’t know though - I don’t pretend to understand the mind of a man who immediately hands Kevin Bieksa a NMC.

Edit - there’s also the very real possibility that Grant simply doesn’t want to play here, either because of taxes or the head coach. But players almost always want term over money, and 4th liners just don’t turn down 3 year contracts.
GMs make judgement calls on players all the time. Bieksa was a terrible call in retrospect.

But I mean, the GM of the Stanley cup winner two out of the last three years just gave jack Johnson a five year deal. I have my issues with Murray but people around here act like GMs around the league are calling plays from a different playbook, and they aren't.

The most logical explanation is grant priced himself out, or Murray and his staff like rowney's tape more. That's it.

I'll be very curious to see how these two players perform next year, and make my opinion based off of that.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
So, let me ask you: do you think Murray failed to offer the same type of deal despite believing grant is the better player?

What DVM said is pretty spot on. My guess is that Murray was negotiating with Grant's agent about a similar deal. Grant's camp was probably asking for 3 x 1.75, and Murray got frustrated or something and offered his last offer to Rowney's agent. Obviously that's a lot of spec on my part, but Murray's reaction to the whole Wiz scenario a few years ago sticks with me. His comments after signing him to a 1 year deal were complete frustration and he immediately traded him for a poor return. Basically it seemed like he let his emotion get the best of him and he made a rash and poor decision.

Otherwise the logic doesn't make sense. There is a possibility that Grant didn't want to re-sign here (I don't buy that at all, but I'm not going to say the possibility is completely impossible). However, I don't see a scenario where a 28 year old who's struggled to say in the NHL turns down a 3 year 1+ deal for a 650k 1 year deal. I think Murray and the agent were negotiating and Murray got fed up and made a haste decision with Rowney because he was sick of dicking with it. It was either that or he simply sees something in Rowney that he's never shown before. Ideally he was more patient and kept working with Grant to get him re-signed.

Regardless the fact that we signed Rowney (easily a worse player) from Pittsburgh for 3 years at 1million+ and they turn around and sign grant for 1 year at 650k makes me f***ing sick to my stomach.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
What DVM said is pretty spot on. My guess is that Murray was negotiating with Grant's agent about a similar deal. Grant's camp was probably asking for 3 x 1.75, and Murray got frustrated or something and offered his last offer to Rowney's agent. Obviously that's a lot of spec on my part, but Murray's reaction to the whole Wiz scenario a few years ago sticks with me. His comments after signing him to a 1 year deal were complete frustration and he immediately traded him for a poor return. Basically it seemed like he let his emotion get the best of him and he made a rash and poor decision.

Otherwise the logic doesn't make sense. There is a possibility that Grant didn't want to re-sign here (I don't buy that at all, but I'm not going to say the possibility is completely impossible). However, I don't see a scenario where a 28 year old who's struggled to say in the NHL turns down a 3 year 1+ deal for a 650k 1 year deal. I think Murray and the agent were negotiating and Murray got fed up and made a haste decision with Rowney because he was sick of dicking with it. It was either that or he simply sees something in Rowney that he's never shown before. Ideally he was more patient and kept working with Grant to get him re-signed.

Regardless the fact that we signed Rowney (easily a worse player) from Pittsburgh for 3 years at 1million+ and they turn around and sign grant for 1 year at 650k makes me ****ing sick to my stomach.
Have you seen rowney play, or have you read his hockey db card?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
GMs make judgement calls on players all the time. Bieksa was a terrible call in retrospect.

But I mean, the GM of the Stanley cup winner two out of the last three years just gave jack Johnson a five year deal. I have my issues with Murray but people around here act like GMs around the league are calling plays from a different playbook, and they aren't.

The most logical explanation is grant priced himself out, or Murray and his staff like rowney's tape more. That's it.

I'll be very curious to see how these two players perform next year, and make my opinion based off of that.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he SHOULD have given that contract to Grant, I’m saying he almost certainly DIDN’T.

I have no issue with signing Rowney over Grant next year. I have some concerns with signing him for 3 though.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he SHOULD have given that contract to Grant, I’m saying he almost certainly DIDN’T.

I have no issue with signing Rowney over Grant next year. I have some concerns with signing him for 3 though.
And I share that sentiment and think that's completely reasonable, but I'm not ready to raise hell over it until I see how they play. I have no idea what rowney brings to the table.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
And I share that sentiment and think that's completely reasonable, but I'm not ready to raise hell over it until I see how they play. I have no idea what rowney brings to the table.
Yeah, I haven’t known enough about Thompson, Grant, or Rowney to have an opinion about them when they were signed. I do wonder why they never manage to get the same guys back at the salaries they wind up signing for elsewhere, but don’t put all of that on management.

3 years for an unproven 4th line player just makes you wonder though.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Thompson was age, term injury history. Grant we don't know.

I personally think Grant took a deal now but asked for something different. The Ducks took another player and Grant run out of opportunities and took the deal. Would you wait and see as a GM? Isn't that a complaint about Bob, that he waits and see too long?

In the end of the day, no team in the league wanted to offer more. There must be a reason for it.

Last edited:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Have you seen rowney play, or have you read his hockey db card?

Not a lot of games to see when he’s played 77 games total and he’s 29. Not writing him off, but there’s no question, it’s a joke that he was given that contract and grant signed for what he did, never mind it being 1 year vs 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad