Around the League, 2018-19 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
On Voynov... his case was dismissed, but prosecutors argued, and rightly so, that it was impossible to determine if Voynov had completed all aspects of his probation. I think that is an issue.

Supposedly he completed domestic violence sessions in Russia, whatever that might mean over there. But no one knows if there was any more violence. Pretty stupid to dismiss the case based on a trust me plea and another country's "official" information.

John

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I didn't realize how much more he was getting paid to go to the Islanders. That a no brainer. He'll have a chance to really cement his legacy as a top coach in this league if he can turn that team around and into a contender too.
Depends if that team doesn't do a firesale or not. They also lost DeHaan.
Even if they end up tanking after a firesale he'll be getting paid 4mil a year to drive the tank into the ground.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
On Voynov... his case was dismissed, but prosecutors argued, and rightly so, that it was impossible to determine if Voynov had completed all aspects of his probation. I think that is an issue.

Supposedly he completed domestic violence sessions in Russia, whatever that might mean over there. But no one knows if there was any more violence. Pretty stupid to dismiss the case based on a trust me plea and another country's "official" information.

John
I doubt Russia's program is much of anything.
I have a friend over in that area of the world, She says Russia is very anti-woman in regards to its laws, that its the wife beater country of europe. It'll probably be the year 2200 when Russia has equality.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

John
People should also keep in mind that expungement (dismissal, as California calls it) doesn't erase a conviction for immigration purposes automatically. And even when it does, the conduct underlying the conviction is still fair game when an adjudicator examines an applicants moral character.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I wouldn't trust any information from any sources overseas, particularly Russia, without being able to verify the information. I once had to help a Japanese national employee who had gone back to Japan with a community service sentence from a DUI conviction. We finally got the court to agree that an American minister in Japan could verify the community service work. I had to get statements from the minister and present them to the court to get the court to agree that aspect of the sentence had been fulfilled.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
GTFO with that ****. Voynov needs to stay in Russia where it's acceptable to beat your spouse.
So, to you for example, it's one mistake = that's it -> CHAIR.

I thought americans were very spiritual - interesting.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

What he did is not one mistake. He's a shitty person that this organization needs to stay far away from. There's already not much to look forward to with this team, adding a un-remorseful wife beater is the last thing we need to be doing.

And apparently wanting him to stay in Russia is the same asking for his death? Got it...

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Marta Varlamova, Voynov's wife, told police the couple started arguing during a Halloween party. Voynov removed her costume glasses and stomped on them, then, outside the venue, he punched her in the left jaw, according to the report.
When asked by police what the argument was about, Varlamova "stated that she could not remember," the report said.
The dispute continued in the bedroom of the couple's Redondo Beach home, Varlamova told police. Voynov, she said, choked her with both hands three times.
"Voynov pushed her to the ground approximately six to seven times with both hands, telling her that he wanted a divorce and to 'Get out,' " the report said.
Varlamova told police that Voynov then kicked her five to six times while on the ground. She said she screamed for him to stop.
When she rose, the report said, Voynov pushed her into the corner of a flat-screen television mounted on the wall, opening a gash above Varlamova's left eye. Varlamova said the couple's bedroom was "covered in her blood."
"Voynov 'got scared' and the attack stopped," the report said.

Speeding is a mistake. Drunk driving where you don’t actually kill anyone is a mistake. Dabbling in illicit substances is a mistake.

This isn’t a mistake, and looking at a typical domestic abuse situation, this wasn’t the only time it is likely to have occurred.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What does this even mean?
I think he means religious, the whole forgiveness thing, giving the player another chance etc.
Which is why I think only a team like the Panthers which acquired Hoffman would give him a chance if he even gets an offer from a team should LA make him a FA, cause Florida is in the bible belt states.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I would like to apologize. I should not post when drunk, but still do it anyway. Eeeey Finland.

Also after reading more about Voynov, I admit I was wrong. So there - that's all.
They make wonderful Vodka in Finland I heard. I wonder what Selanne's fav brand is.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It's only worth the headache if you are in a Kobe Bryant situation where you're talking about a superstar, generational player. A guy like Ray Lewis in the NFL.

Voynov isn't good enough to be worth the baggage. Someone will pick him up but I pray it's not us.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If karlsson does end up in Tampa then I'm glad. Stevie Y was my favorite player growing up and I like pretty much all of their guys.

Plus he stays out east and leaves the sharks striking out once again.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
If karlsson does end up in Tampa then I'm glad. Stevie Y was my favorite player growing up and I like pretty much all of their guys.

Plus he stays out east and leaves the sharks striking out once again.

I can't fathom how they could possibly get him. What assets do they have to pull that off? Just Wilson yet again pumping his own teams' tires.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Maybe taking Ryan along with him?

They barely have the room to add Karlsson alone right now and I would guess an extension is pretty much out of the question. That would leave them with over 50 million invested in 7 players. Add in Ryan and you're at 60 for 8.

Just along the same lines as them apparently being the runner up for Stamkos or the favorites for Tavares. Doug Wilson is great at using the media to make it look like they're always in on the action. The statement he put out about Tavares was a great touch.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
From what I've read only Vegas is seriously willing to take Ryan and their offer will obviously reflect that. Melynk has to decide if he wants to save $29M over four years or if he wants to try and rebuild/retool his team. He can't have both. And he better do something before the market shrinks as teams make other plans, spend money, and move on this summer.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If Tampa gets Karlsson and does not win this year man that would be rough for them. That top 3 D would essentially be the equivalent of what we iced in 2007 (2 out of the top 3 in the game and a low end no one/high end no 2 in McDonagh/Beauchemin) and depending on who they give up in the deal they would have even better forwards than we had.

PaddyMcStackin

Goalier Than Thou
Apr 18, 2018
Hellebuyck locked up for 6 years at $6.16 AAV. If Gibby performs similarly to last year, he's looking at $5+mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->