Around the League, 2018-19 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
These Hughes brothers are legit, completely dominated the WJC Showcase game today. Canucks better hope they get the #1 overall pick next year to unite them, it could turn that franchise around.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Skinner traded for scraps. If only we had cap space, we could have easily matched that offer and he would have been a great fit on our left side.

Reactions: Duck Off

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
These Hughes brothers are legit, completely dominated the WJC Showcase game today. Canucks better hope they get the #1 overall pick next year to unite them, it could turn that franchise around.
So they go from the Sedin twins to the Hughes brothers? That'd sure be something.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Skinner traded for scraps. If only we had cap space, we could have easily matched that offer and he would have been a great fit on our left side.
I feel like we can move perry when we need too.. the return wont be great and we prob take a cap dump but if it means getting someone like Patches/stone/duechene or any other high profile wingers that are somewhat on the market id do it.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I liked Ceci a lot in his draft year, and I still think that he has untapped offense, but that arbitration award is something that I would have to consider walking from.

Reactions: Getz2perry

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I love Leafs fans:

In one trade thread, Nylander is a future #1 center who we should pay through the roof for because he is a center only being held back by JT and Matthews.

In another thread, we can’t trade Kadri because we have no other centers after JT and Matthews (not that I would ever trade Manson for Kadri. I just found the Nylander stuff amusing).

Reactions: Paul4587 and dracom

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

Interesting thoughts from Kovalev on the current NHL - he's spot on the money as well IMO. What he says especially rings true when you look at Anaheim under RC and what happens with some of our more dynamic players who are seemingly muzzled to play the 'safe' game.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I love Leafs fans:

In one trade thread, Nylander is a future #1 center who we should pay through the roof for because he is a center only being held back by JT and Matthews.

In another thread, we can’t trade Kadri because we have no other centers after JT and Matthews (not that I would ever trade Manson for Kadri. I just found the Nylander stuff amusing).
"Love" leafs fans? Come on now. They're consistently awful is what I'll give that fanbase. On these boards alone I've seen less than a dozen decent ones.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
This board overrates Ryan Ellis by quite a bit in my opinion, but that AAV is very reasonable for the Preds.

agreed that he gets a bit overrated, but that contract is damn good job by their GM. He got no type of NTC which is huge. I wouldn't call it a "steal", but that's a big win for the team IMO.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’d take Ellis over Fowler personally. Not by a lot though

Yeah when I saw that deal I thought price and term wise it was awfully similar to Fowlers except without the NTC so I naturally started comparing the two. I take Ellis of the last two years over Fowler but Cam has the longer track record.

Neither is a guy I would give 8 years to though.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Yeah when I saw that deal I thought price and term wise it was awfully similar to Fowlers except without the NTC so I naturally started comparing the two. I take Ellis of the last two years over Fowler but Cam has the longer track record.

Neither is a guy I would give 8 years to though.
Can't be overlooked that Ellis exclusively plays with Josi/Ekholm. Not to say Ellis isn't good of course, and I mean he will likely be playing with 1 of the 2 of them for most of his career. I'm not saying Fowler is for sure better than him, but I'd like to see Ellis play with someone like Bieksa and see how good he really is.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yeah, put Ellis with Bieksa and give him the most minutes on the team at almost 26, then put Fowler with Lindholm and give him 4th most at about 2-1/2 minutes less per game, then compare them. Fowler isn’t a top 30 guy who can carry a pairing, but he’s also not being given a fair top pairing guy for pretty much his entire career.

Reactions: Sojourn

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah, put Ellis with Bieksa and give him the most minutes on the team at almost 26, then put Fowler with Lindholm and give him 4th most at about 2-1/2 minutes less per game, then compare them. Fowler isn’t a top 30 guy who can carry a pairing, but he’s also not being given a fair top pairing guy for pretty much his entire career.

I don't think this can be emphasized enough. D-pairings involve two players. It's kind of right there on the tin. Fowler has consistently been asked to carry some of the weaker partners on our D line, while also being asked to carry some of the heaviest responsibilities. Then he's been criticized for confidence issues, not taking enough chances, playing too conservatively...

There is an argument that, at least some of that, is him. A good argument, too. His confidence comes and goes. But you can't put a player with an anchor, and then wonder why it's impacting his game. That's like attaching a parachute to a race car, and wondering why its lap times suffer.

Reactions: Duck Off

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Etem is basically done, he will get an AHL contract from them most likely or go to Europe. He didn’t produce in the AHL, has barely played the last 2 seasons and is already 26.

Crazy how the 2010 draft that was once so promising has only really yielded Fowler as an impact player.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Etem is basically done, he will get an AHL contract from them most likely or go to Europe. He didn’t produce in the AHL, has barely played the last 2 seasons and is already 26.

Crazy how the 2010 draft that was once so promising has only really yielded Fowler as an impact player.

The 2010 draft ended up being really weird overall, not just for the Ducks:

• Out of 21 goalies selected, only 5 have had more than 25 NHL starts in 8 years. 3 of them have made it past the 100 start threshold.
  • Out of 68 defensemen, only 14 have played more than 100 NHL regular season games. If the cutoff is increased to 200 games, the number drops to 9. Only 3 of them have scored more than 90 points in their career.
  • Out of 121 forwards, 22 have more than 100 points, 13 have more than 200 points and 5 have more than 300 points.
Basically, there are 25-30 players in the entire draft that turned out at least OK. That's really bad, considering that the 2010 draft class boasts names like Hall, Seguin, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Johansen, Stone, Skinner, Fowler, Faulk, Klingberg, Andersen, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce