Around the League, 2018-19 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
That ference article from 31 thoughts on Friedman had a couple points about Dallas Eakins and how he was dealt a crap hand but how he believes he was just the whipping boy in Edmonton but was actually a good coach.

Makes me feel better that there's a player who's worked with Eakins closely and has good things to say about him.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
That ference article from 31 thoughts on Friedman had a couple points about Dallas Eakins and how he was dealt a crap hand but how he believes he was just the whipping boy in Edmonton but was actually a good coach.

Makes me feel better that there's a player who's worked with Eakins closely and has good things to say about him.
Interesting read all in all about the whole situation in Edmonton over the years. Here's a transcription for those interested: Edmonton Oilers: Andrew Ference’s Controversial Comments from the 31 Thoughts Podcast

EDIT: And the podcast.

Reactions: Ducks DVM and Kalv
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Someone should put up a tablet with all 3 of Stamkos' one timer goals from last night's game on a permanent loop in Getzlaf's locker stall. Maybe it will finally get through that giant follicle challenged dome of his to one time the damn puck on the PP.

Reactions: Beretta 390
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Someone should put up a tablet with all 3 of Stamkos' one timer goals from last night's game on a permanent loop in Getzlaf's locker stall. Maybe it will finally get through that giant follicle challenged dome of his to one time the damn puck on the PP.
I don't think he has a one timer in his skill set. Even early on in his career when he was a second unit point man, he'd wait and wind up for a bomb.

Reactions: Doothpick

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ovechkin has 25 goals 2 weeks before Christmas

Every year I think it’s the year he stops competing for rockets and every year (except the years he plays hurt) he proves me wrong. I hope he hits 50 again and wins another.

That hatrick tonight though was something else haha. Two of the worst goals I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
There goes Calgary starting another long winning streak where they won't lose a game for a month it'll feel like. Thank goodness the Oilers managed to beat them.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
no coach would have had any success with those early-mid 2010s oilers teams. not even scotty bowman

even when eakins was the HC there and was eventually fired it was so obvious that he was just the scapegoat. ralph krueger was the only coach that got something out of those oilers teams and for that he truly deserves another shot at the NHL (if he ever decided to leave southampton)

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
no coach would have had any success with those early-mid 2010s oilers teams. not even scotty bowman

even when eakins was the HC there and was eventually fired it was so obvious that he was just the scapegoat. ralph krueger was the only coach that got something out of those oilers teams and for that he truly deserves another shot at the NHL (if he ever decided to leave southampton)
Seriously, no matter who was behind that bench those teams were so mentally shot it wouldn’t have made a difference. Even with (arguably) the best player in the world, that fan base is still score watching nightly for a playoff spot before Christmas even arrives. That says a lot.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
So, apparently Hurricanes' owner said: "We won't be drafting defence in the first round as long as I'm here... I've got to have more offence... If we lose 5 to 4. I'll have fun at least".

There's a main board thread about it.

Sounds like good times ahead in Carolina. Maybe he's just running his mouth and having fun, I don't know. But that is such a dumb thing to say.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
So, apparently Hurricanes' owner said: "We won't be drafting defence in the first round as long as I'm here... I've got to have more offence... If we lose 5 to 4. I'll have fun at least".

Sounds like good times ahead in Carolina. Maybe he's just running his mouth and having fun, I don't know. But that is such a dumb thing to say.

When is the last time that we've discussed Carolina in this thread? A majority of people's behavior is just for attention, and this seems to be the case here.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Carolina is among the worst run NHL franchises imo.
They've been rebuilding since they won the Cup in 06 & have no #1st overall pick in that time & they hanged onto Staal for too long instead of trading him & should have traded Cam Ward when he still had value after 2011-12 season.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

And this is what happens when owners decide to meddle in hockey operations, say what you want about our owners but I'm damn happy the extent of their 'meddling' is having BM on a budget (when we're not contending) and everything else is up to the guys they hired to run the hockey side of things.

Good luck Carolina getting any sort of half decent GM - anyone with any ounce of self respect wouldn't go to that gong show.

Last edited:

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Alex Chiasson just scored his 14th goal--breaking his career high--in just his 27th game in Edmonton. He's on pace for 38. As much as I despise Edmonton, god, someone get Connor McDavid a winger that can actually perform to his ability.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Ovechkin will have 35 goals by January 1. I used to think there was no way he could break Gretzky’s record but I’m beginning to see a path to it for him. Guy is aging like a fine wine. If he can get 50+ the next 3 years, it’s pretty doable for him to set the record

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Oilers have looked better defensively under Hitch. We’ll see how long it lasts

Guy knows a lot about hockey

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
And with the Oilers resurgence the Pacific now has 5 playoff teams and we are in a wildcard spot.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018

Not sure if anyone listens to the Spittin Chiclets podcast, but they were talking about Dallas Eakins being a control freak coach. Like he would make his players do workouts after games, controlled everything they ate, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg