Around the League, 2018-19 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Unless its a Russian Goalie: Khudobin, Bobkov, Bryzgalov.
Bobkov is probably the most recent Russian to be drafted by the Ducks, it's been 9 years.

Come to think of it, Russian goalies have been pretty reliable in not wanting go home to russia & play in KHL like their forwards have.

Yeah and Bryz was drafted and waived by Burke so not even really a Murray move. Ducks have been pretty anti-Russia since Chistov basically.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah and Bryz was drafted and waived by Burke so not even really a Murray move. Ducks have been pretty anti-Russia since Chistov basically.
Except for when Bryz returned to Anaheim for the 2014-15 season, then the following June they acquired Khudobin. Bobkov was drafted in Murray's first draft in 2009 but yeah since then no Russians in the draft.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
We were apparently very close to getting Shipachev last season, but he just wanted to go back to Russia.
Well the Ship had sailed & shipped off back to Russia.
One of the funniest Russian names in the NHL. Another is that one guy named 'NameStinksOv' that almost sounds like its a random generated name lol.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It's actually crazy Nylander might sit out the season, can't help but think he's getting some really bad advice right now. Wonder what happens in the off-season when Marner and Matthews both need extensions too.

How long until Toronto regret that Tavares contract?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
It's actually crazy Nylander might sit out the season, can't help but think he's getting some really bad advice right now. Wonder what happens in the off-season when Marner and Matthews both need extensions too.

The more the insiders talk about it, the more likely it seems he will sign; even though it be hilarious if he sat a year because it would upset Leaf fans. Doubt they’ll have similar issues with Marner and Matthews though, those two are dramatically more important to their success than Nylander so they’ll give them whatever they want.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

I don’t think they will regret it for a while. Tavares is worth his money and makes them a cup contender

He’s not that old either

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
The more the insiders talk about it, the more likely it seems he will sign; even though it be hilarious if he sat a year because it would upset Leaf fans. Doubt they’ll have similar issues with Marner and Matthews though, those two are dramatically more important to their success than Nylander so they’ll give them whatever they want.
The thing is, Toronto are just stuck between a rock and a hard place. They can't afford to give Nylander a huge contract as they would be stuffed in negotiations with Marner and Matthews, but if they don't give him the contract they lose one of their most valuable forwards too.

I'm not sure Toronto are able to give Matthews/Marner whatever they want - their cap situation is looking pretty ugly next season. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a stalemate again.

I don’t think they will regret it for a while. Tavares is worth his money and makes them a cup contender

He’s not that old either
Oh, Tavares is absolutely a great player no disputing that. But 11m per year? That's pretty eye watering and it's not like Toronto were weak in the middle. And money is going to become extremely tight from next season with Marner and Matthews needing new contracts and Nylander's contract as well if he stays in Toronto.

I like Toronto's forwards, but they wouldn't be in my top 3 contenders this season. That defence is just not that great, and much like us with Gibson are getting bailed out by Vezina level goaltending when Andersen starts to falter I think Toronto are going to struggle.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The thing is, Toronto are just stuck between a rock and a hard place. They can't afford to give Nylander a huge contract as they would be stuffed in negotiations with Marner and Matthews, but if they don't give him the contract they lose one of their most valuable forwards too.

Oh, Tavares is absolutely a great player no disputing that. But 11m per year? That's pretty eye watering and it's not like Toronto were weak in the middle. And money is going to become extremely tight from next season with Marner and Matthews needing new contracts and Nylander's contract as well if he stays in Toronto.

I like Toronto's forwards, but they wouldn't be in my top 3 contenders this season. That defence is just not that great, and much like us with Gibson are getting bailed out by Vezina level goaltending when Andersen starts to falter I think Toronto are going to struggle.
I think 11 million for what Tavares brings is fair for both sides. He makes Kadri the best 3C in the game by far and gives them a Poor man’s Crosby/Malkin with him and Matthews

There is a simple solution to a lot of their problems: get Nylander signed today and trade him for the best defenseman you can get by the trade deadline. That would greatly improve their outlook as it pertains to this year

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I was going to say that same thing. With Marner, Matthews, and Tavares, I see Nylander as an asset they can use to improve their team in other ways. Their defense is just not all that good, and they are being saved by goaltending and an elite offensive game. That’s the kind of thing that could bite them hard in the playoffs. They need to improve their blue line. Rielly is still not good enough defensively, and it seems Babcock has no faith in him handling more than 22 minutes consistently. Yet.

They probably aren’t going to get a high end defenseman for Nylander, but they should be able to get a good top 4 guy.

Reactions: Deuce22

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Sherman, set the way-back machine
I think 11 million for what Tavares brings is fair for both sides. He makes Kadri the best 3C in the game by far and gives them a Poor man’s Crosby/Malkin with him and Matthews

There is a simple solution to a lot of their problems: get Nylander signed today and trade him for the best defenseman you can get by the trade deadline. That would greatly improve their outlook as it pertains to this year
He’s not going to return much if he’s overpaid on a long contract. He’s going to have the reputation of being a problem/not a team player, will remove your team’s ability to tell your own RFA players that they should take prove it or market value contracts, and hasn’t proven he can play away from other star players/outside that freewheeling no-defense Toronto style.

What happens with Steel/Terry/Comtois in 3 years? No more Manson/Montour/Rakell/Ritchie contracts happen. Do not want.

Reactions: KeepItDeep

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Tom Wilson with yet another sketchy hit, the league decides not to suspend him, so we get to play him Sunday.

Thanks NHL.

In fairness I thought that match penalty was rough. Looked completely incidental and didn’t touch the head.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
San Jose loses again, looking extremely underwhelming. It's actually amazing that despite having no discernible identity and a complete inability to score goals, we might have a shot to win this shitty division.

Sharks are probably going to live to regret that fresh extension they just gave Martin Jones this offseason.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’ve seen Wilson skate, he was come,etc,t capable of not hitting him at all. That to me looked like the “unintentionally intentional” type hit.

It should have been a 2 min interference penalty. Wilson is a dirty player and it’s only a matter of time before he’s suspended again but this wasn’t a hit that’s suspension worthy.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
San Jose loses again, looking extremely underwhelming. It's actually amazing that despite having no discernible identity and a complete inability to score goals, we might have a shot to win this ****ty division.

Sharks are probably going to live to regret that fresh extension they just gave Martin Jones this offseason.

Chabot making the loss of Karlsson seem very underwhelming.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Nylander loses 2 months salary for that? Toronto probably intentionally dragged it out to get him at the lower cap hit for years 2-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad