Around the League, 2018-19 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I still don't think it's a good deal for Toronto. Not if they are going to wait so long. They're going to have like $40 million wrapped up in four players, and potentially a Nylander who is less than happy.

Either way, as soon as Marner and Matthews get signed, they are going to start hurting for depth. If they don't win in the next two years, they may actually get much worse over time. This is like Chicago all over again, except it's after Chicago won their Cups, and was forced to shell out the cash.

That's the risk here. Chicago was able to shell out the cash after they won a bunch. Once they did so, they stopped being the elite team they were, because they had no depth to support their talent.
This IS Edmonton.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Nylander loses 2 months salary for that? Toronto probably intentionally dragged it out to get him at the lower cap hit for years 2-6.

I don't think there was ever any question that it was in Toronto's best interest to wait as long as possible. The cap hit for this season is irrelevant to them. Lowering it for final years helps them a ton, regardless of whether they keep him or trade him. I hate the Leafs, but I think Dubas handled this beautifully.

I still don't think it's a good deal for Toronto. Not if they are going to wait so long. They're going to have like $40 million wrapped up in four players, and potentially a Nylander who is less than happy.

Either way, as soon as Marner and Matthews get signed, they are going to start hurting for depth. If they don't win in the next two years, they may actually get much worse over time. This is like Chicago all over again, except it's after Chicago won their Cups, and was forced to shell out the cash.

That's the risk here. Chicago was able to shell out the cash after they won a bunch. Once they did so, they stopped being the elite team they were, because they had no depth to support their talent.

I think it's genius for Toronto. This signing sets them up for a cup run this year, and if they decide to trade him next offseason, they set themselves up to receive a fortune. Low cap hit, and if they pay that salary, they're going to get a premium.

I do think they'll need to trade him once they have to sign Matthews and Marner though. Still, I think this would sets them up really well. Sucks because I f***ing hate Canadian teams.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
seattle franchise approved. will begin play in 2021-2022 season

arizona will move to the central division

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Good news for Anaheim and the ED. Granted that will mean some of the young players will have to be protected, but all the NMC's will be off the books by then (other than Kesler who I assume will be on retirement LTIR by then).

Lupul1990

Aug 30, 2006
Good news for Anaheim and the ED. Granted that will mean some of the young players will have to be protected, but all the NMC's will be off the books by then (other than Kesler who I assume will be on retirement LTIR by then).

It turns out Kesler's NMC lasts only until 2020/21. In 2021/22 he has to submit a list of 8 teams he will not accept a trade to.

:banana:

Anaheim Ducks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps - hover over 'NMC' next to Kesler's name

Reactions: mightyquack

Lupul1990

Aug 30, 2006
It looks like we might be trying to make a deal once again. One of Montour/Manson will probably be left unprotected if we want to protect Steel, Terry and Lundestrom. Seattle might also pick Ritchie, Cogliano, Perry or Silfverberg (if the latter two stay with us), but my money would be on a defenseman. If we don't make any significant trades in the next two years then I guess we will be dangling some prospects again and maybe even package Kesler along. Possibly something like Jones or Morand + Kesler? Or maybe some future draft pick. Or maybe we will just let them pick a 30-year old Manson (his age in 2021) with 1 year left until he becomes UFA.

My initial protection list for the Ducks:
Getzlaf (assuming he extends earlier)
Henrique
Rakell
Kase
Steel
Terry
Lundestrom

Fowler
Lindholm
Montour

Gibson

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Can we expose Fowler? If so easy protect lindholm Montour and Manson

PaddyMcStackin

Goalier Than Thou
Apr 18, 2018
Anybody else think Seattle starting play in 21-22 has more to do with the NHL not wanting to gift wrap a negotiating point to the PA? Gary is the last guy who will have his hand forced. Seattle CANNOT begin their first season under threat of a lockout. Imagine if Seattle's first season was delayed and shortened to 48 games. That would be a massive misfire for NHL Seattle and Gary.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I think that the delay in entry to 2021 has more to do with the league's concern that the renovation of the stadium won't be ready for the start of the 2020 season than a possible lock out.

PaddyMcStackin

Goalier Than Thou
Apr 18, 2018
I think that the delay in entry to 2021 has more to do with the league's concern that the renovation of the stadium won't be ready for the start of the 2020 season than a possible lock out.

Call me a skeptic, I'm not buying the Arena excuse one bit.

/tinfoilhat

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
47572299_10155809070807466_1091716287903563776_o.png

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Lol Arizona is absolutely screwed having to go to that division. I actually feel bad for them.

I know things can change quickly in sports but right now the Central has some really good young teams

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Lol Arizona is absolutely screwed having to go to that division. I actually feel bad for them.

I know things can change quickly in sports but right now the Central has some really good young teams
In 3 years Arizona might be actually much better and some of those teams much worse. Like Blues and Hawks. I wouldn`t be too worried as a Yotes fan

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
From Complete Hockey News on FB

''The fire alarm went off at the Minnesota Wild’s hotel and lasted a half hour. The hotel was evacuated, but Wild coach Bruce Boudreau was having none of it and stayed in bed.
“I wasn’t going to walk down 15 flights of stairs. I didn’t smell any smoke. I said, ‘I’m chancing it.’”''

Lol, Bruce

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Anybody else think Seattle starting play in 21-22 has more to do with the NHL not wanting to gift wrap a negotiating point to the PA? Gary is the last guy who will have his hand forced. Seattle CANNOT begin their first season under threat of a lockout. Imagine if Seattle's first season was delayed and shortened to 48 games. That would be a massive misfire for NHL Seattle and Gary.
Absolutely. I was 99.99% sure Seattle wouldn't enter the league before 21-22 for this very reason.

Edit: Well, not just because of the negotiating point but simply because there is a chance that there will be a lockout. They can't bring Seattle into that mess.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I really wish it was Edmonton and Calgary going to the Central and Colorado coming to the Pacific (with Arizona remaining). In terms of travel, that would balance the Central division travel demands a bit more with the Pacific and would actually give the Pacific an easier travel schedule than the Central by a fair bit.

I say this without getting into what teams are good and what teams aren't, and what players are fun to see more often than others, because that all changes much faster than divisional makeup.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I really wish it was Edmonton and Calgary going to the Central and Colorado coming to the Pacific (with Arizona remaining). In terms of travel, that would balance the Central division travel demands a bit more with the Pacific and would actually give the Pacific an easier travel schedule than the Central by a fair bit.

I say this without getting into what teams are good and what teams aren't, and what players are fun to see more often than others, because that all changes much faster than divisional makeup.
This. At least one of Edmonton or Calgary would have made more sense to go the Central, Arizona is just a short drive from California while Edmonton is a very long drive from Vancouver.
I'd pick Edmonton to go the Central over Arizona, it won't matter which division Edmonton is in they still won't make the playoffs.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Come on Seattle Krakens!!!

Other possible names:
Seattle Nirvanas
Seattle Mudhoneys
Seattle PearlJams
Seattle Foo Fighters
Seattle Grunge stars
Seattle Cobains
Seattle Paxils
Seattle Lithiums