Around the League 19: And Down the Stretch They Come...OK, Who Hit the Pause Button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Yeah, I don't think it's the best market, but hard to judge too harshly when they've been to the playoffs in consecutive seasons once in their history, much like us. Five playoff appearances in like 25 seasons ain't good.

No wins = no fans. It's that simple. Win some games, make the playoffs, and you'll get fans in no time. Act like cheapskates like the Florida ownership is rumored to be doing right now, and the fans will stay FAR away, as they should. Commit (and I mean actually commit, not do one season of spending and another season of dumping) to spending boatloads of cash on players like Tom Dundon has for us, and put an exciting product on the ice, and attendance will shoot up like a rocket.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
We need a stronger word than shade for that. Maybe throwing an eclipse.

But yeah, that shows what the players really think about that market. It needs to go. We need a second team in Toronto. If there can be two teams in LA and three in NYC, there can certainly be two in Toronto.

Hard NO on this suggestion.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Yeah, I don't think it's the best market, but hard to judge too harshly when they've been to the playoffs in consecutive seasons once in their history, much like us. Five playoff appearances in like 25 seasons ain't good.

This.

It's hard to blame Panthers fans for not filling up their arena when they haven't even won a damn playoff series since 1996, let alone the 5 appearances in 25 years which included an 10 year drought.

This goes for the Coyotes as well.

And, for the record South Florida IMO is a better Hockey market than it's given credit for. West Palm Beach tends to pull in high tv ratings for NBC during the playoffs/finals. They sell out when the Leafs and Habs come to town (Yes, Snowbirds, but still). IIRC they sold out their 2012 and 2016 home playoff games. I think they and Arizona would be a different story if they didn't suck year after year with no light at the end of the tunnel.

If I'm an NHL executive, I'd rather have a franchise (with competent ownership) in South Florida (population 6 million) than a second Toronto team or Quebec City. Same if I'm a player. Even speaking as an NHL fan, I have zero interest in a return of the Nordiques (especially after the way they acted towards us on false rumors) or Toronto 2. But thats just me.

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Gauthier just made Erik Johnson look like a pylon, used his reach to go around Francouz, and put the shot off the post.

Never change, Goat.

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Serious question is Francouz a top 5 goalie in the league right now? Holy crap he’s good.
They’ve gotten pretty lucky with the goalies. Grub’s for a pick and this guy as an FA.

I always think of how much flak Sakic took from so many around here and in the media about sitting on Duchene forever waiting for a deal they said wasn’t coming. Not only that deal, but almost everything Sakic has done has been a good move. Kadri, Donskoi, Nichushkin, Calvert, Bellmare. They’ve built a good team around the kids.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
What a game. COL wins it in OT a few seconds after Zibanijad drilled the crossbar. Francouz is so damn good. The amount of skill on the ice tonight was amazing. I'd actually love to see the Rangers in the playoffs (if the playoffs happen, and as long as it's not at *our* expense, obviously).

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Getting in their head IS HALF OF THE BATTLE. THEY MUST KNOW THEY HAVE ALREADY LOST.

On a side note, I appreciate the cackle. Is it witch-like OR DO YOU HAVE YOUR OWN BRAND?

approximately this:

source.gif

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
What a game. COL wins it in OT a few seconds after Zibanijad drilled the crossbar. Francouz is so damn good. The amount of skill on the ice tonight was amazing. I'd actually love to see the Rangers in the playoffs (if the playoffs happen, and as long as it's not at *our* expense, obviously).
Both teams have been a lot of fun to watch, and I agree about the Rangers. They’re a playoff team right now, they’ve got momentum and they’re fun to watch. The Avs are missing MacKinnon, Rants, Kadri, Burokowski, Wilson and Calvert and Grubs. Still winning games.

Burokowski has 20 goals. Another good trade Sakic took a little heat for overpaying.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
This is stolen from reddit, but here is how the playoffs would break down based on points percentage:

Atlantic:
1. BOS (.714)
2. TBL (.657)
3. TOR (.579)
Metro:
1. WSH (.652)
2. PHI (.645)
3. PIT (.623)
East Wildcards:
WC1. CAR (.596)
WC2. NYI (.588)
Central:
1. STL (.662)
2. COL (.657)
3. DAL (.594)
Pacific:
1. VGK (.606)
2. EDM (.585)
3. VAN (.565)
West Wildcards:
1. NSH (.565)
2. CGY (.564)
Playoffs:
BOS v NYI
WSH v CAR
TBL v TOR
PHI v PIT
STL v CGY
VGK v NSH
COL v DAL
EDM v VAN

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
i'm actually a bit shocked by this poll. lol. i mean i always figured we'd have a puncher's chance against them, but we're really right up there with the pens for them?!

maybe it's more hatred than fear, I dunno, but it's gonna be HILARIOUS when we inevitably face them again. Can't wait to troll DC with my svech jersey /petr hat again. :: cackles heinously ::

After bad boy Warren Foeglehound runs around breaking bones + our elite PK dey know what up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad