Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
While I don't mind splitting up our top line "To spread it out" putting the only other forward with that skill on the top line instead creates the same problem (first line has 3 of our top 4 forwards, second line has 1). Realistically I'd rather see one of:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Quine

or

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Quine
Tkachuk-Monahan-Bennett.

Keep 2 of the forwards on each line and spread out Quine and Bennett on the other two

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So no opinion on why they are waiving Rieder?

It's not like the Flames are full of prospects ready to take the spot.

Dube is the only one I can think of and he kinda sucks at the moment.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So no opinion on why they are waiving Rieder?

It's not like the Flames are full of prospects ready to take the spot.

I saw speculation on this board in another thread that it might be a precursor to a trade.

Reactions: DFF

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I saw speculation on this board in another thread that it might be a precursor to a trade.
People speculate trades with every little move. FA signing? Trade! Waived? Trade! Recall? Trade! Dress a regular scratch? Trade! Someone moves up in the lineup? Trade! Brad Treliving picks his nose? Trade!

Most likely is it is flexibility because Quine requires waivers again either tomorrow or the day after.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
People speculate trades with every little move. FA signing? Trade! Waived? Trade! Recall? Trade! Dress a regular scratch? Trade! Someone moves up in the lineup? Trade! Brad Treliving picks his nose? Trade!

Most likely is it is flexibility because Quine requires waivers again either tomorrow or the day after.
I was just pointing out that there had been discussion about the Quine demotion.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Yeah it's almost like the idea of a discussion board is to discuss things, including possibilities.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Heat are full of guys who have played really well to start that they could give a cup of coffee to. Dube is the obvious one sure, but I don't think Gawdin for example could be much worse than Jankowski.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah it's almost like the idea of a discussion board is to discuss things, including possibilities.
Hey if you want to run around on a hamster wheel feel free. But hearing the same stupid crap every time there is a minor move gets old.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Just found out that in the 2003 draft if Phaneuf wasn't avaliable the Flames would've taken Mike Richards. Imagine that, we might have won a cup in the Iginla era.
Yup and if we won the lottery in 2015, we 'd have mcdavid and won the cup in the gio era?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Yup and if we won the lottery in 2015, we 'd have mcdavid and won the cup in the gio era?
I know what you're trying to do but we made the playoffs that year and literally couldn't win the lottery so...

I was just remarking on a neat what if,that I didn't know about. Every 2-3 months the Kucherov one comes up so I thought this was a cool what if.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I would like the idea of trying Hanifin and Andersson together if that 2nd pair continues to be a liability. I think I heard the idea on the fan and it makes a lot of sense to me. Both Hanifin and Ras are probably going to be here long term, so might as well get them used to the idea of playing together (both are also very good young defense men as well, if works it could be a great pairing).

It allows Kyl to the play with Hammer and I think that’s a good pairing as well since kyl can roam much more with Hamonic playing the traditional stay at home type position.

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Hamonic

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Flames would have rushed him and his development trajectory would have been altered (for better or worse) as a result.

We would have made him Lombardi 2.0

There's a lot of ifs and or buts in the Iginla Flames era. Not taking Getzlaf. Trading up for Kidd and not taking Brodeur. Not trading Phaneuf to Philly for Giroux who was not favored at the time in the AHL, etc.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Just found out that in the 2003 draft if Phaneuf wasn't avaliable the Flames would've taken Mike Richards. Imagine that, we might have won a cup in the Iginla era.

I also think that if we had played Phaneuf in the finals to deal with all the injuries on the d corps, we'd also have a cup.

Imagine Phaneuf bombs from the point all finals series and his penchant for physicality in the early years.

I also think that we win a cup with the roster if Sutter is coach and not GM.

But alas...

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I also think that if we had played Phaneuf in the finals to deal with all the injuries on the d corps, we'd also have a cup.

Imagine Phaneuf bombs from the point all finals series and his penchant for physicality in the early years.

I also think that we win a cup with the roster if Sutter is coach and not GM.

But alas...
Sutter was both coach and GM. And I'm not sure a 19 year old Phaneuf would have been that big difference maker in that series.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I thought the team tried to get Phaneuf in, but Phaneuf refused to sign before the playoffs were over (I recall hearing that recently during an interview with one of the guys back then.. maybe Montador?). It apparently caused a few of the older D-men to not really want to do anything with him after he had signed.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sutter was both coach and GM. And I'm not sure a 19 year old Phaneuf would have been that big difference maker in that series.

??? he was just a little bit of a tier below Ovi and Sid in the Calder race two seasons later and scored 20 goals in his rookie season.

I thought the team tried to get Phaneuf in, but Phaneuf refused to sign before the playoffs were over (I recall hearing that recently during an interview with one of the guys back then.. maybe Montador?). It apparently caused a few of the older D-men to not really want to do anything with him after he had signed.

Plausible. The lockout was the season afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad