Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Q&A: Flames GM Brad Treliving on playoff disappointment, off-season plans - Sportsnet.ca

Brad Treliving:
We’ll see how the weeks and month unfold. The general statement is we’ve got to get better. Not all of that is just airlifting in people. We think there are some areas we can improve on internally and we’re going to be better off for the experiences we went through.
We’re in a competitive market and a competitive business so we don’t want to announce we’re going to do this, that and the other, but there are certainly areas we’ve identified to improve.
Aka the center position

We’ve taken significant steps and it’s our job to continue to improve the team because everybody else is getting better.
It’s not lost we accomplished some good things — we’ve built a strong team.
But you have to continue to get better.
Probably won't be sweeping changes brought forward like last year but personally I wouldn't rule out another big trade on draft day

We don’t question anything about Johnny’s will, want or drive.
He had 99 points in the regular season — those guys are going to have attention paid to him. We have to find ways to better support him and lessen the load.
The top guys are always going to have huge responsibility when the game is the most critical.
It’s another learning experience. Everybody talks about experience, but you have to go through these things to get the experience.
He’ll be better equipped the next time he gets in that situation.
I have zero concern about anything to do with Johnny. He’s a driven guy who has proven to be a top guy in this league.
During the regular season we were a deep team and I thought we had support though the lineup, but you have to have that at the most important time too.
This is about as explicit as Treliving will ever be with the actual issue....

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Q&A: Flames GM Brad Treliving on playoff disappointment, off-season plans - Sportsnet.ca

Brad Treliving:

Aka the center position

Probably won't be sweeping changes brought forward like last year but personally I wouldn't rule out another big trade on draft day

This is about as explicit as Treliving will ever be with the actual issue....
You're referring to the Hamilton trade, I don't think it was a sweeping change. Treliving could do a big deal like that this year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
You're referring to the Hamilton trade, I don't think it was a sweeping change. Treliving could do a big deal like that this year.
We had a lot of turnover last year. On top of the Hamilton trade, we brought in/promoted Ryan, Neal, Czarnik, Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington plus an entirely new coaching staff. I don't think we'll see as many changes this summer but I still think Treliving makes another draft day trade

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If Treliving says we aren't making a 'big change' that is pretty much 100% confrimation that we will be making a big change. Now I will patiently await the annual alcohol related metaphor explaining how he definitely wouldn't make a move that the media is hinting at.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Treliving:

No, I don't think we're going to make a change. Also, if a big change gets put together we'll make it.

Gotta stop trusting Tre :laugh: If the guy gets the deal/player he wants, he makes it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If Treliving says we aren't making a 'big change' that is pretty much 100% confrimation that we will be making a big change. Now I will patiently await the annual alcohol related metaphor explaining how he definitely wouldn't make a move that the media is hinting at.

He's probably not lying. He's probably cooking up a change that's either gigantic, or completely nothing.

Big? Pfft. Been there, done that. It's time to start getting his name in on some super stars rather than just run of the mill stars of the league.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Makes sense for Foo. Don't think he was gonna get a real chance here (not that he'd earned one). Playing in the KHL gives him a shot at growing as a player still. He would also be the premier guy on the Chinese Olympic team, you'd have to think.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Cool opportunity for Foo to get a chance to play in the Olympics.

He didn't/doesn't have an NHL future so why not go over there make similar, maybe more, money and try to make the Olympic team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good on Foo.
Wasn't an NHL level talent, but if that guy can carve out a professional career overseas, good on him. Everyone deserves a shot at their dream.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I am surprised, outside of his name and his size there doesn't seem to be much there. Pretty pedestrian numbers from the Finnish league.

Although it likely doesn't cost much so worth a try to see if he can improve with the organizations own coaches.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I am surprised, outside of his name and his size there doesn't seem to be much there. Pretty pedestrian numbers from the Finnish league.

Although it likely doesn't cost much so worth a try to see if he can improve with the organizations own coaches.

Considering the minutes he played, those numbers are good. Would be a perfect 3rd line RW for you guys.
- def. an upgrade to your bottom 6

Probably starts in the AHL, because of the 2-way contract status thou.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

He’s big, he protects the puck, he hits and he has a nose for the net. There is room in our organization

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Considering the minutes he played, those numbers are good. Would be a perfect 3rd line RW for you guys.
- def. an upgrade to your bottom 6

Probably starts in the AHL, because of the 2-way contract status thou.

He starts in the AHL because he is an AHL talent at best. He put up pedestrian numbers in the Finnish league, so not exactly a ringing endorsement and certainly not close to a 3rd line NHL player.

I doubt he is an upgrade to our bottom 6 in the AHL and debatable whether he is an upgrade to the ECHL bottom 6 as well.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
He starts in the AHL because he is an AHL talent at best. He put up pedestrian numbers in the Finnish league, so not exactly a ringing endorsement and certainly not close to a 3rd line NHL player.

I doubt he is an upgrade to our bottom 6 in the AHL and debatable whether he is an upgrade to the ECHL bottom 6 as well.

uhhh I'm not a Liiga expert, but 49 points in 60 games is 'pedestrian' to you??? maybe I'm just misinformed about the Liiga's scoring but that seems pretty damn decent.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
uhhh I'm not a Liiga expert, but 49 points in 60 games is 'pedestrian' to you??? maybe I'm just misinformed about the Liiga's scoring but that seems pretty damn decent.

I wouldn't say that 49 points in 60 games in the Finnish league is anything impressive for a potential NHL player, but that doesn't really matter as Tuuola didn't come close to getting 49 points in 60 games.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017

3 years isn't long term, it's mid term. And I don't think that one can be held against Treliving. Stone had a pretty severe Medical issue that affected him badly for a huge stretch, and our prospects were just ready pretty fast and beat him out.

And Raymond was signed as a stopgap in a rebuild, mid term as well. And I still think that injury early on in his first season here really set him back. I still think he looked good the first couple weeks of his first season.

And at least Tre is willing to try to fix his mistakes. He isn't stubborn.

But yeah if we buy out Stone I think its just a lot of factors coming together. Stone was fine his first season of the deal. Rasmus just took his spot, and Valimaki was ready sooner than anticipated.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Is there any indication that they will buy out Stone? I don't see why they would, he is still a useful player if we keep and should be able to be moved to another team, unless his injuries don't allow him to come back which would mean he should go on LTIR.

I don't have a huge issue with the Brouwer buy out , and even signing although I didn't love it, what I am not a fan of is that Treliving went and signed another 30+ power forward to a big deal after seeing Brouwer fall off, and other similar guys fall off as well.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Stone signing was dumb when it happened, it's not hindsight to say spending 3.5 million a year on more than a 1 year deal for a guy to play on your bottom pairing wasn't a good idea. Bottom pairing D men are recyclable you don't give them mid term deals unless they're going to grow into top 4 D men.

But he has only one year left at this point so if he needs to be moved for god sakes retain 50% and trade him. I've never understood why Calgary's ownership is against retaining, for one on a contract like this you'll end paying less than if you bought it out and if you buy him out you're still paying him not to play for you so I've never understood that excuse people use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad