Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Step 1. Trade TJ Brodie for picks to appease all of the Flames fans that start frothing at the mouth at the mere sight of his name
Step 2. Buy out Michael Stone
Step 3. Roll with a RHD depth of Andersson, Hamonic, Prout/insert random over-the-hill free agent here in 19/20

Yeah can't see how that would go wrong at all

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Is that a thing?

I see discussion about including him as part of a package to upgrade the top six forwards, but not picks.
Here, yeah, there is talk about moving him to upgrade our forward group and even if I don't agree with it, I can't say that it wouldn't make sense for the right kind of return.

But, there are other places with a highly vocal group of fans that are hoping to dump him for just about anything

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
A while ago I looked at Anton Stralman's stats, and I was sure he was drafted or played for Flames early in his career. Of course he did not. I was trying to look if it was some other Swedish D that played for Calgary, then bounced around the league a bit before becoming a solid d. Couldnt find any, so did I just remember Stralmans career incorrectly, or is there some other Swedish Dman that I was thinking :help:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A while ago I looked at Anton Stralman's stats, and I was sure he was drafted or played for Flames early in his career. Of course he did not. I was trying to look if it was some other Swedish D that played for Calgary, then bounced around the league a bit before becoming a solid d. Couldnt find any, so did I just remember Stralmans career incorrectly, or is there some other Swedish Dman that I was thinking :help:
We traded for Stralman in July 2009 and then moved him to the Rangers in September before he had even played a game, if that's what you were looking for

Reactions: Kahvi

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
"too deep"

Isn't that the year we traded for Ian White and Steve Staios and rocked players such as Staffan Kronwall, Adam Pardy, and Aaron Johnson.

Good talent evaluation there Flames. uuuggghhhhhh

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I mean, at the time they had a top 5 of Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Regehr, Sarich, and Giordano.

Doesn't mean you don't open up a spot for a player if he is ready, which is what the current Flames are doing with guys like Ras, Vali, Kylington. This is the year Phaneuf was also traded for nothing, a few years later Regehr would be dealt for nothing, Sarich barely moved at this point and Bouw was horribly utilized.

But your point is valid.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Foo getting qualified is interesting. No other surprises.

Foo might be the KHL thing.
Don't we retain rights? Like he goes over there, for a 4-5 years... maybe wants to go back to the NHL if he succeeds. We have a front row seat?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, they must want to hold on his rights. Might as well I guess; doesn't cost them anything.

In more, sure why not news:

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah, that's a bad look lol. Pretty sure Mason was a widely criticized pick at the time for this reason.
McDonald was a highly rated goalie and Demko was coming off major surgery. It was a pretty even split about who was rated over the other.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
McDonald was a highly rated goalie and Demko was coming off major surgery. It was a pretty even split about who was rated over the other.

It really wasn't.

Demko was rated over McDonald on nearly every list. In fact even you go and watch the clip of him being selected all the analysts were pretty surprised that McDonald was the first picked goalie.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Will go down as one of the worst drafts in Calgary history.

Flames blow 2 2nd's on horrible picks (I hated them both the day of), don't draft local boy Brayden Point who goes in the 3rd, and to top it off we get a 3rd liner with the 4th overall while guys like Pasta, Larkin, and even Ehlers and Nylander are all stars or at least proper top 6 wingers and were taken after. For God sake, Baertschi has better stats than Bennett.

I mean Bennett's saving grace is he shows up in the playoffs and shows his potential, but it would be nice if he could show that over 82 games and not 5.

Flames drafting up until 2014 was straight trash. Be lucky to get 1 NHL player a draft. Things are starting to look up as 2015 gave us 2 possibly 3 guy in Ras, Mangi and Kylington. 2016 we got Tkachuk, Dube, and Fox who we traded but will still be a NHLer, 2017 we got Vali and then bust city but we also had no 2nds or 3rds and 2018 we had nothing until pick 105 so I don't blame the Flames if it goes bust city.

As for worst draft in Flames history though, it's all about relativity, we still got an NHLer in Bennett, where there are multiple years during the Sutter era where not one NHLer came out. However when you factor in having the 4th overall pick, 2 2nds and only getting a 3rd liner, yeah, Flames f***ed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad