Jan 9, 2009
Monahan a third line centre.

Damn.

giphy.gif
OKG>>>>>:banana::devdance::pickle::walrus:

Reactions: Janks

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Tbh I don't mind Monahan with Neal on the third line. Monahan is an underrated passer. I think him and Neal might complement each other well and help each other get going.

The only question mark is putting Czarnik on the third line. Rather, I wish he swapped Frolik with him trying an extreme small speedy line and line with more weight. Granted, maybe they are thinking of swapping out Czarnik with Bennett when he is healthy in this combo. Neal - Monahan - Bennett is a weighty skilled line which might be necessary against some teams.

Also, didn't someone warn us Ryan was going to be Bill Peters #1C in the off-season when we signed him haha looks like its offical :sarcasm:

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Nice to know the coach isn't afraid to put our top center elsewhere and switch things up. It seemed like an unheard of thing to do with our previous stick-throwing wizard of a coach.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
All I learned from yesterday is that OKG is close to being a genius. If only that 3rd line had Monahan on LW...Seriously though, I fully support this move. There is no denying Monahan has been hot garbage for a long time now.

I'd love to see some Canes fans comments, lol. So it has indeed happened, the prophecy has come true. Derek Ryan is our #1 centre o_O

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd have had:

Johnny - Ryan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett/Czarnik - Monahan - Frolik
Mangi - Janko - Hath

Monahan needed a wake-up in the worst of ways. This is it.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd have had:

Johnny - Ryan - Neal
Mangi - Janko - Hath

That’s what I’d like to see, as well. Depending on which one of Bennett and Czarnik are in, I might have Frolik on the left side.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I'd have had:

Johnny - Ryan - Neal
Mangi - Janko - Hath

My personal take:

Johnny-Ryan-Lindholm -- gives johnny a good shooter to pass to, no disrespect to ryan and frolik. I think that Ryan's passing ability also gives johnny good shot opportunities, so this sort of makes him more of a double threat.
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik -- this line just works. No need to break it up IMO.
Mangiapane-Monahan-Bennett -- I think Mangi has been on a great hot streak, and he sort of brings a johnny-lite element to the game. Monahan could thrive facing lesser d matchups, and I feel like he and Bennett have always gelled well together
Neal-Janko-Hathaway/czarnik -- this achieves two things: 1, it gets bennett away from janko (I think they suck the life out of each other), and 2. gives Neal a chance to face really bad d-matchups and hopefully mentor Janko along more closely as I feel he has languished a bit in the last half of the season.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't believe we have a "hockey rules" thread so I thought I would ask a question here...

Is it against the rules for a player to flip the puck OVER the net while he is behind the net? I've never seen it done so I assume it is?

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I don't believe we have a "hockey rules" thread so I thought I would ask a question here...

Is it against the rules for a player to flip the puck OVER the net while he is behind the net? I've never seen it done so I assume it is?
It is not

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

It's not against the rules.
Just the goalie is normally there to stop it, and the likelihood of the puck getting to the other side for a shot, not over the crossbar is minimal. It's what you'd consider a very low likelihood play.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Unsure of where to post this, but
So, something that I've been about something a lot lately. Is Monahan injury prone, specifically with his hands/wrists? We've all seen his play just fall off of a cliff since the all star break. He's had a couple injuries in his hand area now too IIRC.
So it begs the question, is Monahan injury prone with his wrists? And if so, how will it negatively affect the team moving forward? Because if he does have weak wrists, then it could seriously negatively affect him in the short and long term. Just a random thought, but it's gotten me thinking...

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
April 11th eh? I wonder if 10 days of R&R would help Monahan.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Tre just said on the Fan that the top 4 D are all out tonight (Gio, Brodie, Hanafin, Hamonic) and will be replaced by some call-ups from Stockton including Vali. He also said Quine and Benny will draw in tonight - which I'd assume maybe time off for some of the top line?

Kylington-Andersson
Valimaki-Stone
Fanta-Prout

Still better than Edmonton

Reactions: Rubi and Janks

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Tre just said on the Fan that the top 4 D are all out tonight (Gio, Brodie, Hanafin, Hamonic) and will be replaced by some call-ups from Stockton including Vali. He also said Quine and Benny will draw in tonight - which I'd assume maybe time off for some of the top line?

I am all for protecting guys from injury but.. really? I don't like that teams do this at all. Icing an AHL D pretty much.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I am all for protecting guys from injury but.. really? I don't like that teams do this at all. Icing an AHL D pretty much.
I kind of agree and kind of disagree. I think giving them the night off and seeing what we have is a good idea in case of playoff injuries, but it definitely doesn't help us build momentum into the playoffs.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I kind of agree and kind of disagree. I think giving them the night off and seeing what we have is a good idea in case of playoff injuries, but it definitely doesn't help us build momentum into the playoffs.

I agree that it is a good opportunity to see what we have depth wise. I dunno though, guys get injured in practice all the time too, should we hold them out of that as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad