Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Much as I love Backlund (and I do), having the ability to use him as the 3C in a shutdown capacity would go a long way in making us a real contender. In my ideal world we package Jank+ to a rebuilding team who can provide us with a higher offensive skill 2C.

Everyone loves Backs (not as much as you, i.e Bedroom posters), but he'd make that centre match-up a luxury in this league. How many teams could stack up against a team that has a legit first line; one of the best in the elague, a second line that can outscore you, because it has a premier PF that'd be a 1LW on almost every team in the league, and a third line with a selke-level centre on it?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Jankowski's game is better suited to the wing. He's just way more of a finisher than a playmaker

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Introducing the Alberta Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2019 | March 2019 | News

Hockey Alberta and the Hockey Alberta Foundation announced on Thursday the 2019 inductees who will be recognized at the AHHF Awards Gala on Sunday, July 21, at the Coast Hotel in Canmore:
  • Shirley Cameron – player, coach and builder of women’s hockey in Alberta
  • Theoren Fleury – NHL All-Star, Stanley Cup winner with the Calgary Flames and Olympic Gold Medalist
  • Kevin Lowe – six-time Stanley Cup champion with the Edmonton Oilers and two-time Olympic Gold Medalist (and he knows a thing or two about winning, if that's ever a concern)
  • Duncan MacDougall – four decades of involvement with at the grassroots level of the officiating program in Edmonton
  • Bob Ridley – long-time play-by-play voice (and bus driver) of the Medicine Hat Tigers
  • Medicine Hat Tigers (1986-1987 and 1987-88) – two-time Memorial Cup champions, and the only Alberta team to win back-to-back Memorial Cups

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
1st + Jankowski for Hayes would likely have got it done. I'd have done it if we can re-sign Hayes.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Jankowski is really finding a role on our team and I would like to keep him around. He's on pace to get another 7 points or so the rest of the way so should end up as a 12/20/32 player for us. I think there's upside for another 10 points there to be a 15/25/40 bottom 6 center and ace penalty killer. He is a definite asset.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Funny thing is Jankowski is putting up the same numbers Backlund did early in his career.

I think you can grow him to that elite #3, very good #2 centre you're looking for. Question is can the Flames wait?

Hmm I don't entirely disagree but at 24, Backlund put up 39 points and 18 goals through 76 games. Not so sure Jankowski can match that production.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Wasn't that basically the story for Guluztan's entire tenure? While I do think this is nothing more than a blip on the radar, it's been established slumps like that can go on for years. The Hurricanes under Peters did just that too.

Reactions: Mobiandi

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What I learned is chemistry and all the love talk is bullshit.

We need to continue to improve the team and the players need to be pushed. The moment they feel comfortable they lose. There are a few lazy bodies on this team

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
What I learned is chemistry and all the love talk is bull****.

We need to continue to improve the team and the players need to be pushed. The moment they feel comfortable they lose. There are a few lazy bodies on this team

That's an interesting point. Flames seem to struggle after breaks, or when they get back home after roadtrips.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That's a bizarre and unsurprisingly hysterical take. Watch Columbus for a second and see how massively disrupting their chemistry worked out.

There's a lot of grey when it comes to chemistry so binary statements are nonsensical.

Columbus was a 7th-9th team and still is. SJ and Vegas are on a winning streak now after the TDL.

Chemistry is overrated. Afraid to make change because of chemistry is garbage. Even BT does not believe in it. It's obvious he was trying to make some deals. You need to continously improve the team.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Columbus was a 7th-9th team and still is. SJ and Vegas are on a winning streak now after the TDL.

Chemistry is overrated. Afraid to make change because of chemistry is garbage. Even BT does not believe in it. It's obvious he was trying to make some deals. You need to continously improve the team.

While I agree with your post about Flames being too confortable, this is just making things simpler than they are. You say chemistry is overrated, but can you even define what team chemistry means? I mean I can't and thats one of the most interesting off ice things in hockey for me.

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
What I learned is chemistry and all the love talk is bull****.

And who in your opinion are these lazy bodies. I just want to keep an eye out for them next game.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Wasn't that basically the story for Guluztan's entire tenure? While I do think this is nothing more than a blip on the radar, it's been established slumps like that can go on for years. The Hurricanes under Peters did just that too.

Yes and no. While I'm not the biggest fan of Corsi OR PDO, a PDO that low is quite off.

The current worst PDO on the season is the Panthers at .985. Canes under Peters last year were .977. So a .908 even in a small sample size is interesting, but not a tell all either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad