Around the Dome 4 - Even More Flames News and Notes

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Moneypuck is going to be very reliant on advanced stats. Since the Oiler really rely on top-end talent and the powerplay they have awful advanced stats that they just overpreform thanks to just how good McDavid is (+ Koskinen has been really, really good for them before the Winnipeg game) which makes advanced stats think it's all snake oil. Same reason the Habs have always been super high up in the past.

As for the Ducks, who knows. Maybe Gibson is overpreforming, or their scorers don't have great underlying stats i.e. Getzlaf, Shattenkirk, and Terry and the advanced stats assume they are over performing.

The regular season you can win every game with your pp it just won't work in the playoffs.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The regular season you can win every game with your pp it just won't work in the playoffs.
I wouldn't at all be surprised if MoneyPuck puts a lot less emphasis on powerplay or might just focus purely on 5v5 advanced stats in determining their odds

Khrox

May 31, 2018
One of the things I like about this team this year is that we actually have goaltending that doesn't lose us games. It's nice to have a goalie who is the reason we win some games (which Marky is capable of doing), but in a twist over the years pre-Marky and post-Kipper, we've more often than not had goalies who lose us games (even when we're playing well).

And it's not just the Dutter effect. That does have some impact (there's a reason we have 6 shutouts in 17 games), but a lot of those games would likely have been wins even if we got scored on. Because Marky makes the saves he should for the most part. It's just nice to see. The combination of having a goalie that doesn't find ways to lose us games, and Darryl's system, has just been nice to see.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
One of the things I like about this team this year is that we actually have goaltending that doesn't lose us games. It's nice to have a goalie who is the reason we win some games (which Marky is capable of doing), but in a twist over the years pre-Marky and post-Kipper, we've more often than not had goalies who lose us games (even when we're playing well).

And it's not just the Dutter effect. That does have some impact (there's a reason we have 6 shutouts in 17 games), but a lot of those games would likely have been wins even if we got scored on. Because Marky makes the saves he should for the most part. It's just nice to see. The combination of having a goalie that doesn't find ways to lose us games, and Darryl's system, has just been nice to see.

Markstrom lost us more games last year than Rittich ever did under Gulutzan/Peters (and once Ward took over our systems were a mess). I'm not ready to annoint Markstrom as Kipper's successor just yet

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I don't see Flames games often, I've noticed Zadorov has just 8 penalty minutes so far this season.

Is it an indication of a more discipline play? Or just less physical play?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't think Sutter liked Monahan's game against the Oilers. He'll probably be off the fourth line for the next game

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Monahan is there because he really doesn’t fit anywhere else

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
By looks of those lines it should be a quick couple losses, unless Markstrom stands on his head.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Damn. Figured Ruzicka would be the odd man out with Ritchie back, but it really sucks all he gets for a pretty good 4th line showing is to go back to being scratched

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I dont' want to create a mess here but what are the odds that Tkatchuk resigns long term this summer? I know that Calgary has a lot of things they need to manage this offseason and of course, Tkatchuk is and should be their top priority but will it cause the possible departure of Gaudreau in regards to money being allocated towards MT's next deal?

I'm just asking because, if for whatever reason, the Flames can't agree to sign Tkatchuk to a long term deal, he would be the type of winger the Devils have been needing for years. Again, this post isn't made to stir the pot, just looking to see what the direct fanbase thinks about the overall direction the Flames are heading this summer.

Thanks and I'm glad to see your team at the top of the division at the Xmas break. Hope you guys can continue on the same run to finish off the year. It's always nice to see your team in the playoffs.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Can anyone confirm this? That's pretty bad if it's true. How long has GMBT been here now?

Just before the 2014 draft...

Bennett
Rasmus
Kylington
Mangiapane
Tkachuk (lol I thought i typed him already)
Dube
Phillips
Valimaki
Ruzicka
Wolf

Wolf and Phillips have only dressed for one game each.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad