Around Hockey XXII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Tampa lost/NJ lost/Calgary wins (and takes a point from Toronto)/Dallas gets a point. Fairly good night, as of this morning, here is the status of 1st round picks.

CBJ-dropped below the Flames to 8th worst record. Kings are 1 point behind Columbus with 3 in hand.
Tampa-dropped to 6th best record
Toronto-dropped from 2nd best to tied for 2nd best.

Don't forget Vancouver who are three back with 7 games in hand!

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Tampa lost/NJ lost/Calgary wins (and takes a point from Toronto)/Dallas gets a point. Fairly good night, as of this morning, here is the status of 1st round picks.

CBJ-dropped below the Flames to 8th worst record. Kings are 1 point behind Columbus with 3 in hand.
Tampa-dropped to 6th best record
Toronto-dropped from 2nd best to tied for 2nd best.

upload_2021-4-14_11-15-57.png

Point % is much better, especially if not all teams play 56 (like Vancouver). They'll go by point % in that case.

Reactions: EspenK

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Reactions: CPTN71

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Why would Foligno go after PLD? Does it help Toronto? It is pretty stupid to take a (supposed) grievance from one team to a new team that is eyeing a deep playoff run. Foligno hitting PLD leading to something like Forbort hitting Marner and having Marner get hurt is the exact opposite of what Toronto wants. (Now if PLD does something like go into the corner and hit Morgan Rielly late, then all bets are off.)

Beyond that, the most likely scenario I have heard on why PLD left makes me think Foligno and PLD will play their games and nothing will happen. I doubt they’ll grab dinner together, but there won’t be anything like a Nash/Bob issue or Nash/Calvert fight. And when people reflect on the great moments in the history of hockey, only CBJ fans will remember a Calvert/Nash fight from 2014.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Why would Foligno go after PLD? Does it help Toronto? It is pretty stupid to take a (supposed) grievance from one team to a new team that is eyeing a deep playoff run. Foligno hitting PLD leading to something like Forbort hitting Marner and having Marner get hurt is the exact opposite of what Toronto wants. (Now if PLD does something like go into the corner and hit Morgan Rielly late, then all bets are off.)

Beyond that, the most likely scenario I have heard on why PLD left makes me think Foligno and PLD will play their games and nothing will happen. I doubt they’ll grab dinner together, but there won’t be anything like a Nash/Bob issue or Nash/Calvert fight. And when people reflect on the great moments in the history of hockey, only CBJ fans will remember a Calvert/Nash fight from 2014.

It also assumes that 1) there is a problem between the two players beyond unresolved confusion and 2) that Nick would choose to resolve it with unnecessary physical play.

Any ‘whoa-ho-ho I can’t wait until Nick enacts his revenge on PLD’ is funny and really just about our revenge.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I watched that game. It was playoff style carnage. Josh was everywhere. His goal gave me chills.

You have to understand the context. McDavid had just scored on a breakaway and everyone was looking for the life to go out of the Habs because they have a putrid offense. Then Josh goes end to end to answer eleven seconds later.

Ah, yes, the biggest blunder of Jarmo's career. :ha:

We can reassess in five to seven years. The seven year contract is obviously the downside to keeping Josh so we'll have to see how that unfolds before we judge how big of a blunder it was.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The game I'm most excited to watch tonight is the Sens 'Nucks late game. The Sens have won two straight and the Jackets can pass the Sens in the draft lottery order soon. The Sens also are loaded with exciting young talent. Fun team to root for and it helps the Jackets tank.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
We can reassess in five to seven years. The seven year contract is obviously the downside to keeping Josh so we'll have to see how that unfolds before we judge how big of a blunder it was.

Very true. That said, at this point it seems like JA would have to have a career ending injury and/or Domi would have to return to what seems to be an unobtainable form for this to even be called a wash.

Or Jarmo could maybe pull off some sort of heist in a trade to get value for Domi.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Very true. That said, at this point it seems like JA would have to have a career ending injury and/or Domi would have to return to what seems to be an unobtainable form for this to even be called a wash.

Or Jarmo could maybe pull off some sort of heist in a trade to get value for Domi.

The Domi acquisition was a separate matter to my mind. He first had to decide whether to match Josh's demands, and once he decided not to match, getting anything above zero for a 1 goal player with a 7 year demand is noteworthy. We didn't expect to get anything.

As it happens, Domi has been far worse than zero. But he'll be gone soon and the ultimate bellwhether on the Anderson deal is whether he stays healthy enough to play his game at least most of the way through that 7 year term. That's very much up in the air.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Domi acquisition was a separate matter to my mind. He first had to decide whether to match Josh's demands, and once he decided not to match, getting anything above zero for a 1 goal player with a 7 year demand is noteworthy. We didn't expect to get anything.

The last part is simply just not true. He had like 12 teams after him. We asked for a lot and expected a lot. He picked the Domi deal because he thought we’d have PLD and Domi down the middle for years to come

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The last part is simply just not true. He had like 12 teams after him. We asked for a lot and expected a lot. He picked the Domi deal because he thought we’d have PLD and Domi down the middle for years to come

12 teams offering what? I don't know. Maybe Jarmo passed on a great offer from some team. But I think it's unlikely that there were many good roster players on offer. How many of those GMs were interested in paying Josh $38 million dollars? The reaction around the league after the contract was announced tells me that Bergevin was probably the highest bidder.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
12 teams offering what? I don't know. Maybe Jarmo passed on a great offer from some team. But I think it's unlikely that there were many good roster players on offer. How many of those GMs were interested in paying Josh $38 million dollars? The reaction around the league after the contract was announced tells me that Bergevin was probably the highest bidder.

I think Montreal was offering what Jarmo felt was the only center available. That’s why it was picked (remember it didn’t even get done until montreal added the draft pick)

Plenty of teams wanted Anderson. And plenty of teams would have signed that contract too. Those 12 teams knew what he wanted.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Montreal was offering what Jarmo felt was the only center available. That’s why it was picked (remember it didn’t even get done until montreal added the draft pick)

Plenty of teams wanted Anderson. And plenty of teams would have signed that contract too. Those 12 teams knew what he wanted.

I presumed that the other suitors were not going to give him that contract, at least not right away. They'd have wanted him for his last RFA year (especially for the playoffs) and then they'd see how he did. Those teams would presumably be offering futures not roster players. That's the course of action I wanted Jarmo to take - sign him for the year and see if it's worth extending him mid-season, and you either keep him long term, or get one last playoff run with him, or worse case rent him out for a first at the deadline. Obviously given that the club had already lost so much talent I can understand that they opted to get something for him last offseason.

Of course this is all guesswork, I don't see any hard info one way or the other on what those clubs were offering Josh.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jarmo didn't learn from his blunder with Johansen and did the same thing with Anderson.

Jarmo, simply put, is either hopelessly stubborn or not very bright.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Jarmo didn't learn from his blunder with Johansen and did the same thing with Anderson.

OK but to Major's point, Johansen isn't looking like much of a blunder these days..

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Jarmo didn't blunder with Johansen, but I wish he knew better about when to play hardball with young players. Players that have a lazy rep need to prove that they are working hard and taking steps forward before they get big contracts. Players like Josh Anderson don't need five years of evidence to show that they're willing to do whatever it takes for the team. We already knew that about him four years ago.

Similarly I have no quarrel with Torts being frank with players about their inconsistencies. But you don't ever tell a warrior like Matt Calvert that he doesn't work hard enough. He emptied the tank for us every game and Torts alienated him from the team.

To be clear, this can be a tough line to walk. Accountability is important, it's what great teams like the Bruins have been built on. But don't be a fool with your warrior type players.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Dubois has just pissed off the Leafs for his play around the net and Wayne Simmons got a penalty for going after him. So if you want to see a battle between Dubois and Foligno, you might get your chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad