Around Hockey XIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Congrats to former Spokane Chief Dustin Tokarski, on his first NHL shutout. First class kid who has had to work for everything he has ... cannot be happier for him.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
good day for us points wise...

also sportsclubstats wise...DET loss moves us to 84.7%

Last edited:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
OH MY GOSH, Unbelievable for Tokarski!!

:sarcasm:

Issue with my post?

Maybe you should hide your sarcasm until you understand where people are coming from. The Jackets would be lucky to find a goaltender such as Tokarski, a kid who has persevered over all odds to get where he is.

Dustin was cut from every midget team he tried out for, until his mother called and pleaded with a family friend to land him a spot on the Prince Albert Mintos. That year, Tic lead the Mintos to the Telus Cup. The following year, he walked into camp with the Spokane Chiefs as a list player, passed up three other guys and made the team (one of those guys was the goaltender the Jackets played just last night, Darcy Kuemper). By the end of his rookie season, the 5'10" underdog was the team's starter. The next year, he won the Memorial Cup. The year after that, World Junior Gold. Since his stellar junior career, he's been held back for whatever reason. Call it size ... call it numbers, whatever. He's won the Calder Cup in the AHL during that time, and has a huge fanbase everywhere he lands. Why? Because he's a graceful winner, a good kid, and a damn fine goaltender.

So excuse me if I somehow annoyed you by my post. You could learn a lot from someone like Dustin - namely, a little respect. Some of us appreciate the underdogs.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Issue with my post?

Maybe you should hide your sarcasm until you understand where people are coming from. The Jackets would be lucky to find a goaltender such as Tokarski, a kid who has persevered over all odds to get where he is.

Dustin was cut from every midget team he tried out for, until his mother called and pleaded with a family friend to land him a spot on the Prince Albert Mintos. That year, Tic lead the Mintos to the Telus Cup. The following year, he walked into camp with the Spokane Chiefs as a list player, passed up three other guys and made the team (one of those guys was the goaltender the Jackets played just last night, Darcy Kuemper). By the end of his rookie season, the 5'10" underdog was the team's starter. The next year, he won the Memorial Cup. The year after that, World Junior Gold. Since his stellar junior career, he's been held back for whatever reason. Call it size ... call it numbers, whatever. He's won the Calder Cup in the AHL during that time, and has a huge fanbase everywhere he lands. Why? Because he's a graceful winner, a good kid, and a damn fine goaltender.

So excuse me if I somehow annoyed you by my post. You could learn a lot from someone like Dustin - namely, a little respect. Some of us appreciate the underdogs.

Yeah, you misread my post. I was trying to be Pierre McGuire, no slight to you or Tokarski.

Sorry for the confusion

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
Biggest night of the season! HUGE slate of relevant games.

Devils (vs Bruins)

Rangers (at Senators)

Leafs at Red Wings

Flyers (vs Blackhawks)

Capitals (at Ducks)

Canadiens (vs Avs)

Assuming the Jackets win, as far as wildcard standings go:

- Devils loss would put them 7 points back with only 13 games remaining (1 less than the Jackets)

- Red Wings loss 5 P back with 14 GR (same as CBJ)

- Capitals loss 4 P back with only 12 GR (then: LAK, SJS, LAK, BOS)

If those teams all lose, the top 8 might not change between now and the playoffs. Which 2 of the CBJ/NYR/PHI make it in the Metro, and which 2 of the TB/MON/TOR make it in the Atlantic, very much remains to be seen, but I don't see any of those wildcard teams making up that kind of ground, in such a small amount of games, unless one of them gets extremely hot -- AND one of the current top 8 slumps a bit.

Let's go!!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeesh. If y'all thought I got frustrated with people around here during Scott Howson's tenure, you can probably imagine how I'm dealing with some of the Preds fans bemoaning their horrible, horrible "omg back to back no playoffs years!" fate.

Name removed to protect the guilty, in a discussion of why the Preds need to fire everybody and start tanking:
I know what the Blue Jackets tried didn't work. I know what the Preds are trying isn't working. What's the difference - other than a few playoff flameouts and a couple more regular season points?
Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Biggest night of the season! HUGE slate of relevant games.

Devils (vs Bruins)

Rangers (at Senators)

Leafs at Red Wings

Flyers (vs Blackhawks)

Capitals (at Ducks)

Canadiens (vs Avs)

Assuming the Jackets win, as far as wildcard standings go:

- Devils loss would put them 7 points back with only 13 games remaining (1 less than the Jackets)

- Red Wings loss 5 P back with 14 GR (same as CBJ)

- Capitals loss 4 P back with only 12 GR (then: LAK, SJS, LAK, BOS)

If those teams all lose, the top 8 might not change between now and the playoffs. Which 2 of the CBJ/NYR/PHI make it in the Metro, and which 2 of the TB/MON/TOR make it in the Atlantic, very much remains to be seen, but I don't see any of those wildcard teams making up that kind of ground, in such a small amount of games, unless one of them gets extremely hot -- AND one of the current top 8 slumps a bit.

Let's go!!

Anddddd everything in bold went wrong

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Yeesh. If y'all thought I got frustrated with people around here during Scott Howson's tenure, you can probably imagine how I'm dealing with some of the Preds fans bemoaning their horrible, horrible "omg back to back no playoffs years!" fate.

Name removed to protect the guilty, in a discussion of why the Preds need to fire everybody and start tanking:

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

Perhaps the biggest difference between the two has been drafting philosophy up front. To me, Nashville has always been a team that's taken the "safe" forward in a draft position and only conceded this one time with Radulov, who was clearly the best player on the board.

Outside of that, they've always been content to take a ton of two-way forwards, who can bang in the corners and top out at 20 goals. It's given them terrific depth most years and made them a tough team to play against, but they've never had anything resembling firepower. Nor have they ever sought it for anything longer than the short term, save for picking up Steve Sullivan.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=81896779

All in all, this night's been a disaster save for (at least) Toronto and Detroit not going into overtime.
What makes it worse is Chicago had a 2-0 lead and Philly came back to tie it. Even if they lose, coming back against the Hawks to earn an important point would be a victory for them(and a defeat for us).
We all thought they had a tough schedule coming but so far 5(maybe 6) out of 6 points against Pitts x2 and Chicago.

edit, f ing Philly wins with 5 seconds

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
At least Senators and Devils are in tough now, meaning they could play spoiler later.

plong123

Litebrite Stinger
Mar 3, 2008
All in all, this night's been a disaster save for (at least) Toronto and Detroit not going into overtime.

Yes, yes it has. And the Caps are winning, so it could be even worse. Basically today was a worse-case scenario kind of day. The good part is: We still control our own destiny.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The Flyers are on fire.... kudos to those guys if they keep winning with S. Mason and Emery no less, unreal.

And Vanek gets a hattie with his new Hab team.... wish we had gone after Vanek...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Basically the worst case scenario happened. Everything went bad for the Jackes aside from the Boston game. WSH beats ANA

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
Yeah, that was a disastrous night from top to bottom. The Devils loss puts them on the brink of being done, but the Caps, Wings and Rangers all helped their cause. We've still got 2 games in hand on the Rangers for 3rd in the Metro, but are now 2 points down. Also 2 games in hand on the Caps, but tied in points.

Until I'm proven wrong, I'm still going to believe that the Rangers and Jackets are the best of these teams from a puck possession and 200ft game perspective, and quite frankly that the Leafs and Caps are pretty bad teams (while Detroit is simply crippled and can't overcome their losses). Accordingly I expect the final standings to be NYR/CBJ 3rd in the Metro/1st Wildcard, with perhaps Toronto (based on current edge in points) as the 2nd wildcard. But ... that's just my meaningless opinion. If the Caps can continue on their western swing like they started then all bets are off.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah, that was a disastrous night from top to bottom. The Devils loss puts them on the brink of being done, but the Caps, Wings and Rangers all helped their cause. We've still got 2 games in hand on the Rangers for 3rd in the Metro, but are now 2 points down. Also 2 games in hand on the Caps, but tied in points.

Until I'm proven wrong, I'm still going to believe that the Rangers and Jackets are the best of these teams from a puck possession and 200ft game perspective, and quite frankly that the Leafs and Caps are pretty bad teams (while Detroit is simply crippled and can't overcome their losses). Accordingly I expect the final standings to be NYR/CBJ 3rd in the Metro/1st Wildcard, with perhaps Toronto (based on current edge in points) as the 2nd wildcard. But ... that's just my meaningless opinion. If the Caps can continue on their western swing like they started then all bets are off.

At what point are you proven wrong? Every "advanced stat" junkie out there thinks they're bad teams and has been expecting them to fall towards the league basement since the start of the year, but they keep winning. I think the advanced stat model falls apart when it tries to predict for teams with explosive scoring and sniping ability.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
At what point are you proven wrong? Every "advanced stat" junkie out there thinks they're bad teams and has been expecting them to fall towards the league basement since the start of the year, but they keep winning. I think the advanced stat model falls apart when it tries to predict for teams with explosive scoring and sniping ability.

Agreed. Despite tinkering around with all sorts of other numbers, a simple Pythagorean setup using goals for and against is substantially more accurate when it comes to prediction of future records.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Agreed. Despite tinkering around with all sorts of other numbers, a simple Pythagorean setup using goals for and against is substantially more accurate when it comes to prediction of future records.

[goals for]^2 + [goals against]^2 = [number of wins]^2 ?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm thinking Jacket J was just old schooling it. He'll be proven wrong when the Jackets and or the Rangers tank or one of the other teams get red hot and one of his teams doesn't make it. All of this advanced stats stuff is a bit of mumbo jumbo in my opinion. It still comes down to what you do on the ice. If it was as simple as predicting based on numbers then why play the games?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm thinking Jacket J was just old schooling it. He'll be proven wrong when the Jackets and or the Rangers tank or one of the other teams get red hot and one of his teams doesn't make it. All of this advanced stats stuff is a bit of mumbo jumbo in my opinion. It still comes down to what you do on the ice. If it was as simple as predicting based on numbers then why play the games?

Stats are just different representations of what you do on the ice. And in hockey they're not advanced like inferential statistics or something like that, Corsi for example is just a plus/minus for shot attempts. If all you have to guess the future on is a few games played, then Corsi over those few games is generally more predictive of future wins and goals than wins and goals in those few games are. Over 60 games? Wins and goals over 60 games are way more predictive of future wins and goals than Corsi is.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Stats are just different representations of what you do on the ice. And in hockey they're not advanced like inferential statistics or something like that, Corsi for example is just a plus/minus for shot attempts. If all you have to guess the future on is a few games played, then Corsi over those few games is generally more predictive of future wins and goals than wins and goals in those few games are. Over 60 games? Wins and goals over 60 games are way more predictive of future wins and goals than Corsi is.

Yep.... in the end goals win games... not shots... yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad