Around Hockey XII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Hell Yes, I want an Arenas vs Wanderers final.

Hell I'd settle for a Senators vs Canadiens final.

Either of those would be better than the teams currently available, and match your definition of an "Original" team.

Why do we as hockey fans use such an incorrect term as "Original Six" Why are we so happy to forget the true original teams that were there at the team's founding? Why are expansion teams that came into the league 20 or 30 years after it's founding considered "Original?"

And this is the only sport that actively roots for this. No one ever says, "I want to see the Cardinals and Packers in the NFC championship, and the Browns and Steelers in the AFC championship. That's real football, not these damned expansion teams who think they deserve the NFL!" No one gives a damn in the NBA or MLB how old the teams that meet are. It's just hockey.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
And this is the only sport that actively roots for this. No one ever says, "I want to see the Cardinals and Packers in the NFC championship, and the Browns and Steelers in the AFC championship. That's real football, not these damned expansion teams who think they deserve the NFL!" No one gives a damn in the NBA or MLB how old the teams that meet are. It's just hockey.

page10.jpg

I chalk this up to the idea that Canadians are a little goofy.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Saw this posted on reddit, apparently originally made by @camfan81. I laughed really hard, even though Vokoun doesn't really deserve this...

ibvyc5bUI9VLX2.gif

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Surprised there isn't more talk about the Duncan Keith incident from last night ... hope Jeff Carter enjoys eating from a straw for the next week.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
A Bruins/Blackhawks series would be awesome to watch, big, fast, skilled hard hitting teams. That would be a very painful series if it went 7

I'd love to see that.

I chalk this up to the idea that Canadians are a little goofy.

The Canadians are the source of a part of the original-six fetishism, I'll give you that. I think a lot of Canadians are ignorant about American hockey markets. We see it on these boards, and as a Canadian-American I can say it's evident up there. My uncle Bill was chair of the old Canadian Amateur Hockey Association and later Doug Maclean's boss at UNB. In his old age he grew to despise every thing the NHL did, from the expansions to the glow puck to the diving, and switched entirely to the Q. (BTW, he was Dougie's close friend. My folks like Dougie as a person a lot, but thought he was nuts).

Much of the original-6 fetishism comes from Americans who are anxious about the popularity of the sport. Bettman exemplifies that, and I felt it reached an apogee about ten, fifteen years ago. Personally I do like teams with lots of devoted fans, and that can lead to a sort of original 6 fetishism, but it doesn't make me like the Rangers more than the Flyers or anything like that.

I'll also admit that I still have issues with hockey in Florida. The idea of Mackinnon being drafted by the Panthers makes me feel a bit queasy. Maybe its the lack of snow, who knows.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 34m

If Pens lose series in 4 or 5 games the offseason storylines may be interesting. Some think Malkin becomes a trade target. Tough call.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 34m

If Pens lose series in 4 or 5 games the offseason storylines may be interesting. Some think Malkin becomes a trade target. Tough call.

I saw that and it seems a bit crazy to me. They only played one bad game this series against a hell of a Bruins team, so its not worth getting apoplectic and trading Malkin, unless you get a Shea Weber in return.

The Penguins problems now seem to be:

1) They loaded up on slowpokes in Murray, Morrow, and Iginla.

2) They don't have a good defence or enough great two-way forwards. Why invest so much in the league's best offence and not in the defence, and only have one great defenceman and your only deadline acquisition for the D is bottom-pair Douglas Murray?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Iginla's drop off has been amazing.

Bruins fans should be cheering Iginla for rejecting them because it meant \ they didn't get stuck with him.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Cant believe he got suspended for it

Meh ... I'm not happy about it, but I can understand where the league is coming from. They have to suspend things like this, even if it was retaliatory ... it's like the time James Neal boarded Dorsett ... he knew what he was doing. Keith clearly meant to give him a shot back, it's just unfortunate that it clipped him in the grill. I wish he'd gotten him harder.

Gregory Campbell.
Nothing else need be said.

Amen

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Meh ... I'm not happy about it, but I can understand where the league is coming from. They have to suspend things like this, even if it was retaliatory ... it's like the time James Neal boarded Dorsett ... he knew what he was doing. Keith clearly meant to give him a shot back, it's just unfortunate that it clipped him in the grill. I wish he'd gotten him harder.

Amen

Yeah....That was really dirty on Carter's part. Could've broken his hand.

On a side note, Dustin Penner's antics in this game tonight make the Hansen Bros like like choir boys.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Just a quick question. I am probably the only person around that hasn't looked at the hit. If that was Wiz instead of Keith would it have justified a lifetime ban for Wiz according to the wonderful disciplinary group we have in the NHL?

Just wondering, because I still laugh every time I think about Wiz dropping that guy. I need to look to see how it compared.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Just a quick question. I am probably the only person around that hasn't looked at the hit. If that was Wiz instead of Keith would it have justified a lifetime ban for Wiz according to the wonderful disciplinary group we have in the NHL?

Just wondering, because I still laugh every time I think about Wiz dropping that guy. I need to look to see how it compared.

Wiz' punishment was rediculously excessive. Cluster**** induced the hit, deserved it, and embellished it. Carter was being a little bi!ch by either trying to slash Keith on the hand or knocking his glove out of reach, but Keith clearly retaliated with an aggressive stick swing that, intentionally or not, caught Carter in the face, chipped teeth, and opened a wound. One game was the absolute minimum he could have gotten in a playoff situation. Wiz, Torres, Cooke, or one of the other physical guys of ill-repute might well have gotten more.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Crosby: 0 points, -2
Malkin: 0 points, -5
Iginla: 0 points, -4
Letang: 0 points, -5

Last edited:

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
Best TEAM in the NHL.....................................Bruins. Just my 2 cents. What a bunch of grinders..................with offensive skill. And Rask, wow, just wow.:amazed:

That being said, the Leafs had 'em dead to rights...........................

Stanley Cup Playoffs.....................best event in sports.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Best TEAM in the NHL.....................................Bruins. Just my 2 cents. What a bunch of grinders..................with offensive skill. And Rask, wow, just wow.:amazed:

That being said, the Leafs had 'em dead to rights...........................

Stanley Cup Playoffs.....................best event in sports.

Chicago will beat them in 6. Maybe 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad