OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

That's a pretty good western conference for ticket sales. Winnipeg gets Calgary and Edmonton more often.

Utah-Colorado-Vegas are all in a division together.

I wonder if Nashville moves to the Metro/East if they add teams to the west. They'd be in a division with Carolina, Columbus, Washington, maybe Atlanta, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Charlotte.

Last edited:

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Houston would do better than Atlanta. Then again, so would Indianapolis.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Utah Jazz have their G League team in the Maverik Center, the arena of the ECHL Utah Grizzlies. That's probably a good sign that the Grizz get bumped up to the AHL.

I don't really like when teams do that, but SLC is so isolated, and I like the Grizzlies brand (despite any events in 1996), so that's probably a good thing.

Anson Carter wanting to put an AHL team in Atlanta as well is something I don't like quite as much.

Hockey staff probably like the affiliates so close, but in most places they could put their AHL team only an hour or two away and reach a whole new fan base. I think it's actually kind of weird that so many NHL players say their favorite hockey player was someone in the NHL.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Utah would be a stronger base of support. Sorry Arizona, you tried and so did Atlanta. Some places are just natural hockey towns.

Like Tampa.
Tampa was obviously not originally a natural hockey town, but the success of franchises in Texas, Tennessee, Florida, California, and others are proof that hockey and the NHL can work in non traditional markets - if - you have the right people, and it's done the right way. Case in point the difference between Tampa being a model franchise thanks to people like Jeff Vinik and the Florida Panthers, only a few hours away who still can't figure out how to put butts in seats for some reason.

DnCBlPW.png

But our own history has both moments of failures and incompetence that could have tanked us, and moves that strengthened and stabilized us. In some ways we got lucky. So I sympathize with Coyote fans because they have seen it work in Phoenix. Now how they pull themselves up from below rock bottom, I don't know. The issues are numerous and they give the people in their state very little reason to care, let alone support them. But I hope it works out.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Tampa was obviously not originally a natural hockey town, but the success of franchises in Texas, Tennessee, Florida, California, and others are proof that hockey and the NHL can work in non traditional markets - if - you have the right people, and it's done the right way. Case in point the difference between Tampa being a model franchise thanks to people like Jeff Vinik and the Florida Panthers, only a few hours away who still can't figure out how to put butts in seats for some reason.

DnCBlPW.png

But our own history has both moments of failures and incompetence that could have tanked us, and moves that strengthened and stabilized us. In some ways we got lucky. So I sympathize with Coyote fans because they have seen it work in Phoenix. Now how they pull themselves up from below rock bottom, I don't know. The issues are numerous and they give the people in their state very little reason to care, let alone support them. But I hope it works out.
If Arizona has taught us anything, arena location is extremely important. Arena in east Phoenix = success. Arena in west Phoenix = death.

Sunrise, FL is a suburban rink surrounded by a parking crater. I think you can get away with that for the NFL, where there are so few games (and the games are mostly on Sunday), but not the NHL, or especially MLB.

They're also playing Ottawa in the pic, and Ottawa isn't a road draw.

TB was in a parking crater, but it still served downtown Tampa.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Utah Hornets, as Utah is the Beehive State.

Have always thought it should be the Utah Hornets in the NBA, the New Orleans Jazz, and then the Charlotte Bobcats or something else.
Hornets aren't bees.

I've been researching Utah a bit the past few days (that's where I got 'Hogbacks' from). Both pioneers and beehives have religious connotations. The Mormon influence on the history of Utah is undeniable, and about half the state is currently Mormon, although becoming more religiously diverse.

When the Jazz moved from New Orleans to Utah, the owners wanted to change the name, but it was too late in the off season, so they just ended up keeping it. It'd be interesting to know what they were considering changing it to.

There's been some pretty milquetoast names recently. Cleveland Guardians. Washington Commanders.

They could just call them the Salt Lake/Utah Scorpions because it sounds rad.

Stay away from snake names so the Kansas City Cobras can happen.

Last edited:

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
The Buffalo Sabres are the lynch pin of the entire eastern conference. Nothing makes sense anymore if they become the San Diego Sabres.
Bleh. Can't move Buffalo. Nor can Atlanta get a 3rd shot at it. It's just not a viable market.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Hanafin signed with vegas for 8 years. We go to make a trade, build up from within like we are currently, or sign someone that can help the top4/bottom 6 defense.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Hanafin signed with vegas for 8 years. We go to make a trade, build up from within like we are currently, or sign someone that can help the top4/bottom 6 defense.
Should the Coyotes move, I have to wonder what that means. Would any players ask to leave? Would Utah buy?

Their arena isn't that big, but I'd think that they'd immediately have the ability to become a cap team.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
You'd like the Kevin Weekes podcast appearance I posted. There might be some opinions on Atlanta you'd agree with.
My very first NHL game was the Atlanta Flames against the Flyers. It made me a fan for life. The best part was the Platt-Schultz fight and having seats behind the penalty box when the ref came by asking "who dose this tooth belong to."

If that doesn't make a kid a fan for life then they are brain dead. (It was Plett's)

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Should the Coyotes move, I have to wonder what that means. Would any players ask to leave? Would Utah buy?

Their arena isn't that big, but I'd think that they'd immediately have the ability to become a cap team.
What in kucherov's name does that have to do with Hannafin signing for 8 years in Vegas?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What in kucherov's name does that have to do with Hannafin signing for 8 years in Vegas?
It stemmed from the competition over those defensemen & forwards. For years, Arizona has been the default place mentioned for dumping bad contracts.

The Coyotes still have all those draft picks that they can either use or trade.

They're a wildcard right now, and we don't know what posture they'll take.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
It stemmed from the competition over those defensemen & forwards. For years, Arizona has been the default place mentioned for dumping bad contracts.

The Coyotes still have all those draft picks that they can either use or trade.

They're a wildcard right now, and we don't know what posture they'll take.
If they took Sheary we would free almost 2 million. WE should offer Jeannot around 2 million total for 2 seasons. That would shave about 3.6 million in dead weight from Sheary and Jeannot being overpaid for not producing. If we don't resign De Haan there is another million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad