OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

He's Sillinger'ing.

Erie (OHL), two years at Bowling Green, a semester a Michigan Tech, and now back into the portal.

NCAA hockey is going to be hurt as long as they're an equivalence sport. If there's a possibility of losing any athletic scholarship money, then it makes sense to at least enter the portal and see what's out there. Their current coaches have to know they're going into the portal, so there's an implicit threat to give them more playing time, scholarship money, etc.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Some interesting posts on Reddit about college hockey attendance.
www.reddit.com/r/collegehockey/comments/1blexke/analyzing_the_ncaa_regionals_format_part_5_moving/

If the NCAA is going to end up as the top of the amateur development pyramid, the business of college hockey has to be looked at. These half-full buildings aren't going to work. College teams can also fill in the gaps of growing the game wide. Places like Delaware or Gainesville may not stand out in any particular way for getting a minor pro team, but they can be valuable in expanding the reach of hockey into every corner of the country.

Turning NCAA hockey into a money sport, and a head-count sport, where everybody gets a full ride athletic scholarship, will keep more kids in hockey over football or basketball.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Bobby Ryan has been on some weird Twitter rant trying to convince everyone that women's sports are irrelevant.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Bobby Ryan has been on some weird Twitter rant trying to convince everyone that women's sports are irrelevant.

Women's sports seem to dip in and out of popularity over time. I wouldn't say they're ever irrelevant, but it's not like people talk normally about what happens at WNBA or PWHL games. It's always about the attendance, viewership, compensation, or a big news story like Brittney Griner.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Women's sports seem to dip in and out of popularity over time. I wouldn't say they're ever irrelevant, but it's not like people talk normally about what happens at WNBA or PWHL games. It's always about the attendance, viewership, compensation, or a big news story like Brittney Griner.
I can't name one female basketball player not named Brittney Griner.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I can't name one female basketball player not named Brittney Griner.
For current players, Diana Taurasi, but only in reference to how she doesn't make LeBron money.

The WNBA draws less than 10k a game, and doesn't have the NBA's TV deal (or ratings), so I'm not sure what they can really do.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The development site is a desirable one, but it probably wouldn't be good business for someone to outbid the Coyotes, ending with their relocation (and an angry fan base), just to build a Super Target.

Maybe also one of those combined Taco Bell & KFCs too.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Prospective Utah NHL owner.

I feel like the internet favorites are the Yeti and Swarm. I'd be fine with either.

Raptors and Cutthroats are probably both out. Utah Bighorns is too memeable. The Utah Blizzard gets into avalanche territory, and can run into an unfortunate Twitter trend. (#UtahBlizzard delays rescue attempts, at least 3 missing.)

The proximity to Denver is a question. It's not particularly close. It's a 500 mile, 8-hour drive, but if you call yourself the Utah Broncos, or the Utah Pioneers, it sounds like the Denver Broncos or Denver Pioneers.

No one calls themselves the Scorpions. The mascot may be too tough to figure out. Outlaws? Pronghorns?

This is what's tricky about everybody expanding. Many of the obvious, classic type names are already taken. Then you deal with other team mascots, and search engine optimization.

Would a Houston NHL team go with a space theme when both the Houston Astros and Dallas Stars already have fuzzy green alien mascots?

What about something living in the Great Salt Lake? Funny thing, multi-celled organisms don't do so well there. They did find a nematode recently.

There's also a legend about some guy moving two whales into the lake, but that's such a deep cut reference, I don't think you can do much with that. Maybe a mascot if they go with a name that doesn't lend itself to anything obvious. Something mysterious in the water is also Kraken territory.

Last edited:

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Pioneer Day is big in SLC and Utah generally. And of course, that's why SLC is where it is; when Young saw the Great Salt Lake and said, whoa, we're done pioneering. Nothin west of SLC but salt flats and desert for a 100 miles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad