OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

One of the PHNX guys, Steve Peters, was a long time video coach for the Coyotes. There was a point where he, and everyone else, were told to start looking for places in Portland. Gretzky stepped in and saved the team at the last second.

Without an arena, I don't think they'll be so lucky this time.

edit: Utah Archers and Utah Black Diamonds are out of the naming race, IMO. The Archers are a new pro lacrosse team and the Black Diamonds are a pro pickleball team. It's weird that people online were suggesting the Black Diamonds.

Ryan Smith could buy the team, or maybe even the league, and get the names, but...why?

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
There's talk about how the Coyotes franchise could be 'reactivated'. It's not completely out of the question. The Cleveland Barons merged into the Minnesota North Stars, and then unmerged to become the San Jose Sharks.

Rob Zettler was selected in this draft.

It feels a bit weird to allow the Neo-Coyotes to strip mine the Utah Adrenaline, but I suspect that they won't actually get a team in that time.

The ECHL does keep an eye on expansion/suspended teams, in order to be able to revoke their rights.
Representatives from all potential expansion franchises, markets that have been granted expansion franchises and franchises that have suspended operations must attend the league's annual Board of Governors Meeting between seasons and provide progress reports on their situations in order to keep their ECHL franchise rights. For dormant and existing franchises, the Board of Governors votes whether or not to extend a franchise's league license until the next Board of Governors Meeting.
The NHL should also be collecting any league dues from Meruelo in the meantime.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

It's not much of an update, and we basically know where this is all heading, but it's not the usual 'commitment to Arizona' tweet we've been seeing.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

screen-shot-2019-03-19-at-1.50.24-pm.png

• Haha
Reactions: Stammertime91

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The deal will transfer the franchise's hockey operations first to the NHL and then to Smith, who plans to move the team to Salt Lake City, and Meruelo will maintain business operations to move forward with a planned $3 billion project that will include a new arena in north Phoenix. Meruelo also will continue to own the Tucson Roadrunners, the franchise's American Hockey League affiliate, and plans to move the team to Mullett Arena in Tempe, the current temporary home of the Coyotes.
Meruelo owning an AHL team in Mullet is quite a decision.

They'd have to have already considered Utah-Chicago Wolves and Carolina-Phoenix as affiliates for next season.

This is the kind of stuff I think about. If an NHL team is in the pipeline, do you cut the affiliation? For example, Carolina-Charlotte. A perfectly logical affiliation, but they're not linked anymore. If Charlotte gets an NHL team, they wouldn't need to spend as long deprogramming their local fans, as the Hurricanes aren't really doing much to maintain their brand in Charlotte.

Utah-Phoenix will still have the Coyotes prospects. The tie isn't completely severed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Renopucker

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Happy for SLC. Devastated for Phoenix and their fans. I'm perfectly fine with Atlanta getting a team. Maybe it'll eventually force the league's hand to finally let us out of the f***ing Northeast Division

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Happy for SLC. Devastated for Phoenix and their fans. I'm perfectly fine with Atlanta getting a team. Maybe it'll eventually force the league's hand to finally let us out of the f***ing Northeast Division
It'll depend on how the schedules are supposed to work, but as it is, both TB and (especially) Florida benefit from having teams that are strong road draws. That wouldn't exist in a more normal southeast division.

Every division should have some marquee markets.

There seems to be more of a call to at least de-emphasize divisions, and go back to the conference format. That argument becomes stronger with more teams in the league.

When the league will expand is an interesting question. Utah had asked for expansion, but that's taken care of. Houston might be the ones to go to the top of the agenda, especially if the league also wants to eventually be the first winter major league team in Austin, TX. The NBA already has the San Antonio Spurs, and Austin might be too close for another team.

I haven't heard about Kansas City in a long while, but they've got the building.

What they would even call a Houston team, if not the Aeros or Apollos, is a good question. Austin would likely go by 'Texas', as in 2024, when you say Austin, people are going to hear Boston. I've taken to liking the 'Texas Ringtails' name, and they'd even be able to take the Texas Stars mascot in the expansion draft.

Austin Ocelots is another option.

Last edited:

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Jack Edwards retiring in Boston. By all accounts he is a very good man and he was great as an ESPN studio guy. He was also the worst play by play announcer in the league and the most annoying homer (they are all homers I know, but he was outrageously so). In any event, good riddance and good luck in retirement. I mean both sincerely.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Suddenly Florida looks like our opponent. Shit! Is Boston avoiding us?

Jack Edwards retiring in Boston. By all accounts he is a very good man and he was great as an ESPN studio guy. He was also the worst play by play announcer in the league and the most annoying homer (they are all homers I know, but he was outrageously so). In any event, good riddance and good luck in retirement. I mean both sincerely.
Florida and Colorado announcers are giving Jack a run for the homerism award.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad