Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Tony DeAngelo is open to being loaned to any AHL team, although Hartford (NYR affiliate) is out.

His best bet to play soon would be Europe, although I could see certain ECHL teams (not Orlando) taking him. The player turnover rate is so high in the ECHL, that it'd be kind of a blip on their radar.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Tony DeAngelo is open to being loaned to any AHL team, although Hartford (NYR affiliate) is out.

His best bet to play soon would be Europe, although I could see certain ECHL teams (not Orlando) taking him. The player turnover rate is so high in the ECHL, that it'd be kind of a blip on their radar.
If he plays in Europe, he has to void his contract. He is not going to do that.

Also since his contract is one-way, I doubt there is a clause allowing for an ECHL transfer. Basically - he's only playing in the NHL or the AHL if he wants to keep getting paychecks.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If he plays in Europe, he has to void his contract. He is not going to do that.

Also since his contract is one-way, I doubt there is a clause allowing for an ECHL transfer. Basically - he's only playing in the NHL or the AHL if he wants to keep getting paychecks.
Either option is possible as a loan. They've been doing it for other guys without an issue.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Either option is possible as a loan. They've been doing it for other guys without an issue.
I thought IIHF transfer agreements precluded playing in Europe while under contract in the NHL full stop. I may be wrong.

ECHL I could see as a possibility but damn - paying a dude 5.1m to play in the ECHL isn't going to help his trade value. He could score three points a game and I don't think it would move the needle much.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I thought IIHF transfer agreements precluded playing in Europe while under contract in the NHL full stop. I may be wrong.

ECHL I could see as a possibility but damn - paying a dude 5.1m to play in the ECHL isn't going to help his trade value. He could score three points a game and I don't think it would move the needle much.
A bunch of NHL contracts were loaned to Europe with the late start to the NA season.

ECHL isn't really about trade value, it's about playing somewhere while he's in a canceled phase of his career. He'd probably only spend a few games in the league, then AHL teams would see how bad the blow back actually is, and then he'd find an AHL taker. The first team to take him is going to take the brunt of the criticism anyway.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
A bunch of NHL contracts were loaned to Europe with the late start to the NA season.

ECHL isn't really about trade value, it's about playing somewhere while he's in a canceled phase of his career. He'd probably only spend a few games in the league, then AHL teams would see how bad the blow back actually is, and then he'd find an AHL taker. The first team to take him is going to take the brunt of the criticism anyway.
Were the contracts loaned? I don't know if that's the right term for it. The league had - at the time - not agreed to have a season yet, so it seems to me more akin to a lockout season than a loan during a played season.

The other thing is with the *type* of problems DeAngelo has, I kind of feel like you want him on an NHL team or not at all. This is a guy who needs a "strong veteran presence" to "keep him in line". Put him in a place where he can be the best player in the entire league? I don't know if that's the player I want my prospects emulating. He's not developing, so other than winning your AHL team some games, you are a) slotting a prospect lower than you normally would, and b) having your prospects around a guy who is pretty much universally considered a douche canoe.

I don't really see the upside.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Were the contracts loaned? I don't know if that's the right term for it. The league had - at the time - not agreed to have a season yet, so it seems to me more akin to a lockout season than a loan during a played season.

The other thing is with the *type* of problems DeAngelo has, I kind of feel like you want him on an NHL team or not at all. This is a guy who needs a "strong veteran presence" to "keep him in line". Put him in a place where he can be the best player in the entire league? I don't know if that's the player I want my prospects emulating. He's not developing, so other than winning your AHL team some games, you are a) slotting a prospect lower than you normally would, and b) having your prospects around a guy who is pretty much universally considered a douche canoe.

I don't really see the upside.
Ho-Sang is in Sweden and under contract with the Islanders. He changed which team he was loaned to only a few weeks ago.

The current NHL CBA is from 2013. I found this on another HF thread from that year.
11.19 Loan to Clubs Outside North America. The SPC of any Player may contain a clause that provides that, in the event his NHL Club Loans the Player to a club outside the NHL, during the period of such Loan, the Player shall have the option to be Loaned to a club of his choice outside North America. The clause may relieve the NHL Club of the obligation to pay the Player his Paragraph 1 Salary for the duration of such Loan if such relief is expressly stated in the provision, but the NHL Club shall otherwise be responsible for all other payments due to the Player by the NHL Club pursuant to his SPC. Such clause shall be subject to any applicable Player Transfer Agreement between the NHL and a hockey federation and/or the IIHF in effect, at the time of the Loan. The Player shall be permitted to make financial arrangements for compensation and other benefits with the club outside North America for the duration of the Loan, which financial compensation and benefits shall not be included in Averaged Club Salary, Actual Club Salary, League-wide Player Compensation or the Players' Share. The Club shall be required to provide to the NHL and the NHLPA in accordance with Exhibit 3 any loan agreement entered into in relation to such Loan by no later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on the day following the day the Club has received the executed loan agreement."

I'd rather see him in Europe, which may give him perspective of the world, and give him the veteran presence that the minors probably can't provide.

I'm just throwing teams out there, but Kladno in Czech 1.liga (2nd best league) has some vets. Jagr & Plekanec are two of the eight guys over 30 on the team.

Last edited:

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Tom Wilson going to have a hearing on his hit on Carlo last night. Looks like main point be about boarding. There was no penalty assessed in the match

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
How do you guys think this year's Sabres roster compares to our roster that got swept by Montreal and the one that went to the SCF against Chicago?

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
There must be a reason you're asking such a confusing question.
I'm not really sure what's confusing about it, but I'm watching the debate about the problem with the Sabres and I'm seeing a coaches camp and a players camp developing (or maybe it was there before and I just didn't care). That seems like a roster that should at least be putting up a fight.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Probably closer to the one that got swept by Montreal. Specifically, their goalie isn't much better than Lindback.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm not really sure what's confusing about it, but I'm watching the debate about the problem with the Sabres and I'm seeing a coaches camp and a players camp developing (or maybe it was there before and I just didn't care). That seems like a roster that should at least be putting up a fight.

It's just that, during that 2014-'15 regular season, I felt we had the best team in the conference. When the playoffs began, I expected that team to reach the Final. Now, if you want to say some of that is also a reflection of the rest of the conference, then so be it, but I would've never even pegged this Sabres team as a playoff team - in normal times or COVID times - let alone have close to the expectation I had for that 2015 Lightning team.

Even the 2014 Lightning finished tied for the 4th-best regulation record in the East that season. They would've had a much better chance against the Habs if Bishop hadn't gotten hurt in the last week of the season.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
It's just that, during that 2014-'15 regular season, I felt we had the best team in the conference. When the playoffs began, I expected that team to reach the Final. Now, if you want to say some of that is also a reflection of the rest of the conference, then so be it, but I would've never even pegged this Sabres team as a playoff team - in normal times or COVID times - let alone have close to the expectation I had for that 2015 Lightning team.

Even the 2014 Lightning finished tied for the 4th-best regulation record in the East that season. They would've had a much better chance against the Habs if Bishop hadn't gotten hurt in the last week of the season.
I think their goalie situation, at the very least, is bad enough that any more than a wildcard slot would have been wishful thinking. For me it's weird seeing that they're not even like those Edmonton/Toronto teams of the last 10 years that weren't playoff teams but at least they were scoring in those track meet type games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad