Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The most underrated aspect of McDavid's game is his patience with the Oilers organization. Not saying the guy is gonna wake up and pull a Patrick Roy, but it never ceases to blow my mind that Nugent-Hopkins has been dealing with this for 10 years and McDavid is 8 games into year 6.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's kinda dirty that Marchand's idol is MSL and he plays a lot like him...
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I f***ing love Marchand except for the dirty plays. I think he is a great post and a fun player to watch.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I f***ing love Marchand except for the dirty plays. I think he is a great post and a fun player to watch.

I find it wholly ironic a guy who's been trying to get attention his entire career becomes one of the leagues top scorers and hardly gets any recognition. He's the leagues 4th highest scorer after McDavid, Kucherov and Draisaitl over the past 4 years and the first 4 highlighted videos on youtube are about slewfoots, dirty antics and a "Brad Marchand gets destroyed reel" :laugh:

Reactions: Hoek

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I find it wholly ironic a guy who's been trying to get attention his entire career becomes one of the leagues top scorers and hardly gets any recognition. He's the leagues 4th highest scorer after McDavid, Kucherov and Draisaitl over the past 4 years and the first 4 highlighted videos on youtube are about slewfoots, dirty antics and a "Brad Marchand gets destroyed reel" :laugh:
Oh he is wildly underrated. Top 10 player in the league no doubt.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The NWHL-Barstool story is so petty that I don't think a reporter without an axe to grind has written on it.

It could be that it's fundamentally a media feud, and you wouldn't want to step in that. Basically 'drama'.

But the bloggers & NWHL are in bizarro world compared to a typical professional league. Sometimes you have to work with/for a company where you don't agree with the bosses opinions. The problem with Portnoy is that he has a platform. Usually top people of big companies are ghosts.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The ECHL is adding three teams over the next few years. No names yet.

Savannah, GA
Coralville, IA (likely Minnesota affiliate)
Trois-Rivières, PQ (Habs affiliate)

Savannah hasn't had pro hockey, as far as I can tell, so it's hard to gauge a potential fanbase. The ownership group seems to be using sort of a neon green and black for their logo right now, which makes me think amphibian. Savannah Gators or something. It may be too similar to the defunct Louisiana IceGators, as you don't really know how teams will move, fold, re-form, & change leagues over the years.

But what Savannah uniquely has is its name. They could be the Savannah Giraffes or Savannah Rhinos. I'm assuming that someone has thought of Lions already, and Zebras could be difficult to navigate with refs also being that. If there's a relatively mascotic animal that's in both GA/SC and the African Savanna, I think we've got a winner.

Savannah Guthries is also on the table.

Coralville (probably called Iowa) is more so the Coralville/Iowa City market. Basically the Tampa/St. Pete of cities less than two hours east of Des Moines. I'm expecting a relatively bland name, probably involving pork.

Trois-Rivieres is about halfway between Montreal and Quebec City. Extremely French names are possible.

Got any name ideas for these teams?

edit: the problem with Savannah Lions too are that the Atlanta Gladiators have a lion as mascot. Elephants and Rhinos could be appealing mascots though. Look at Stomper with the Oakland A's. (can't be called Stomper though, that's the name of Greenville's mascot).

Savannah Stampede?

Last edited:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
GDT: 1/30/21 - Marble League Ice Hockey

That first round match up between Hazers and Balls of Chaos was intense.

That semi finals match marred with some blatant goalie interference. Sad to see it end on a controversial play like that. I mean you can say the puck was in first but that kind of play is unnecessary.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Iowa Caucausers (Caucasians?)
Iowa Pidgins
Iowa Corn Hogs
Iowa Puck Hogs
Iowa Grain Guzzlers
Iowa Grain Barons
Iowa Threshers
Iowa Scarecrows
Iowa Hog Oilers (50/50 link)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hog_oiler
Iowa Reapers (potential IP issue)
Iowa Flying Pigs

I think I recall Rockford was almost called the Puck Hogs.

Turns out Iowa has bald eagles. Iowa Eagles. Thought it sounded nice, but I didn't think they really had them.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The ECHL is adding three teams over the next few years. No names yet.

Savannah, GA
Coralville, IA (likely Minnesota affiliate)
Trois-Rivières, PQ (Habs affiliate)

Savannah hasn't had pro hockey, as far as I can tell, so it's hard to gauge a potential fanbase. The ownership group seems to be using sort of a neon green and black for their logo right now, which makes me think amphibian. Savannah Gators or something. It may be too similar to the defunct Louisiana IceGators, as you don't really know how teams will move, fold, re-form, & change leagues over the years.

But what Savannah uniquely has is its name. They could be the Savannah Giraffes or Savannah Rhinos. I'm assuming that someone has thought of Lions already, and Zebras could be difficult to navigate with refs also being that. If there's a relatively mascotic animal that's in both GA/SC and the African Savanna, I think we've got a winner.

Savannah Guthries is also on the table.

Coralville (probably called Iowa) is more so the Coralville/Iowa City market. Basically the Tampa/St. Pete of cities less than two hours east of Des Moines. I'm expecting a relatively bland name, probably involving pork.

Trois-Rivieres is about halfway between Montreal and Quebec City. Extremely French names are possible.

Got any name ideas for these teams?

edit: the problem with Savannah Lions too are that the Atlanta Gladiators have a lion as mascot. Elephants and Rhinos could be appealing mascots though. Look at Stomper with the Oakland A's. (can't be called Stomper though, that's the name of Greenville's mascot).

Savannah Stampede?
Florida fan but just checking in: I grew up near Savannah. It’s actually a pretty decent location: the closest county in SC is high net worth and a lot of transplants from the North. There’s also a good number of colleges so I think they could perhaps attack 4K-5k a night in attendance

not sure about

Reactions: Felonious Python

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Haha we dodged a bullet on that one!
I wanted him to succeed so bad on draft day. As much as I was conflicted, it was very cool to have a Lightning player from Sewell NJ. My best friend lived there up until this past year so I’ve been to the area a good number of times. And he had the Hollydell ice arena with my colleges banner in the background of his nhl.com draft video. I wanted it to work out, but it was a huge mistake drafting him. If I’m a team in need of a dman right now, I wouldn’t touch him with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I wanted him to succeed so bad on draft day. As much as I was conflicted, it was very cool to have a Lightning player from Sewell NJ. My best friend lived there up until this past year so I’ve been to the area a good number of times. And he had the Hollydell ice arena with my colleges banner in the background of his nhl.com draft video. I wanted it to work out, but it was a huge mistake drafting him. If I’m a team in need of a dman right now, I wouldn’t touch him with a 39 1/2 foot pole.
The guy had giant red flags from the get go, I’m surprised Murray and co still wanted him. But then again Murray’s defense drafting is sub par at best.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The guy had giant red flags from the get go, I’m surprised Murray and co still wanted him. But then again Murray’s defense drafting is sub par at best.
Al Murray on character:
We view character very strongly. I know we did with Hockey Canada. It was a thing that could keep people off our teams and we did keep people off our teams that probably were more talented than other players, but we didn't feel we could trust them to compete and be good teammates and accept the roles that they were going to be asked to accept. When it came down to those character issues, if a guy is a bad person, we've taken players off lists in the past both with Hockey Canada and with the Kings and we'll continue to do that. If guys are questionable as far as their compete and whether they are good teammates and a potential player you can win with then we'll either drop them down the list or have them taken off the list as well. If you feel that a person has made some mistakes in the past and they acknowledge those mistakes and have learned from them and have shown a willingness to do things differently, you certainly want to give people a second chance if they want to show you that they want it. If there's somebody you feel is lazy or isn't a good teammate or doesn't sacrifice for the betterment of the team, those guys who have done so over a number of years or over a long period of time you're probably not going to change those people, so you're probably better off just to move on without some of those guys.

Lightning drafts D Anthony DeAngelo 19th overall
"That's definitely in the past," DeAngelo said. "It's been in the past for me for a while. But I still had to explain myself and be honest because teams need to do their homework and not go into it saying, 'It's not a big deal,' because it was a big deal and a mistake. I've learned from it, and I'm ready to change. And I'm going to bring a high-character, high-competitive guy to the organization."
"Time will tell. Ultimately, we believe in the boy," GM Steve Yzerman said. "He's 18 years old, and he's acted in situations that are unacceptable in society today. We believe he's a good kid, and we're going to give him the opportunity. But we're going to hold him to the expectations of all our players in Tampa. … Any improper conduct won't be tolerated. But he's 18 years old. I was 18 at one point and did a lot of things that wouldn't be considered acceptable today. Kids change, and we expect him to change. We believe he'll change and grow up."

They made a judgement call and unfortunately got it wrong. It's not bad to give people a 2nd chance. It's not wrong either to think we could help mold a troubled teenager into around a more professional and mature player and give him the right direction and resources to change to be a better person. You're betting on your culture, coaches, leadership, veteran players, and infrastructure you have in place to develop players, as much as you are on the individual taking charge of their own life. I trusted Yzerman and Murray on this one, but there was always a risk involved, so maybe that alone was reason enough to pass on DeAngelo.

I wonder what Sheldon Keefe thinks of DeAngelo now. He was his head coach in Sault Ste. Marie and traded for him when he had his big 89 point season. I think it would be a mistake to believe he could do what Tampa Bay, Arizona, and New York could not, but there is a history there, so he's not totally unaware of what he'd be getting.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You know... I actually find it refreshing when athletes are able cross into the political realm in a professional manner kinda like what OV and Malkin did with #PutinTeam, someone holds a charity fundraiser for their local police department or speaking at a social gathering for concerning issues of the day. It doesn't have to be team red vs team blue when you do these kinds of things. I guess it's just a pleasant change from the robotic, canned answers we get from them that they might as well have just recited from a script. And then there's DeAngelo setting up burner accounts to stop Twitter haters, joining a known cesspool in parler and that's after being a racist dirtbag.

Time to eat shit Tony. This is probably the end for you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad