Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
You know... I actually find it refreshing when athletes are able cross into the political realm in a professional manner kinda like what OV and Malkin did with #PutinTeam, someone holds a charity fundraiser for their local police department or speaking at a social gathering for concerning issues of the day. It doesn't have to be team red vs team blue when you do these kinds of things. I guess it's just a pleasant change from the robotic, canned answers we get from them that they might as well have just recited from a script. And then there's DeAngelo setting up burner accounts to stop Twitter haters, joining a known cesspool in parler and that's after being a racist dirtbag.

Time to eat shit Tony. This is probably the end for you
Looking at the thread on the trade board, I know people want to bring his political beliefs into the discussion (and please nobody do, per the rules here), but the stuff that has plagued him through his career really has nothing to do with that. Going back to 2013 & 2014 and what was documented about how he conducted himself in Sarnia, that was wayyy before anyone knew what his views were. The questions we were asking at the 2014 draft: can he keep his emotions in check, can he conduct himself professionally, can he be a good teammate? Coaches can't still be asking those questions 7 years later. Quinn was scratching DeAngelo back in 2019 over a "maturity issue." The kid's not a kid anymore and he's run out of time trying to get his act together.

Reactions: Hoek

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Looking at the thread on the trade board, I know people want to bring his political beliefs into the discussion (and please nobody do, per the rules here), but the stuff that has plagued him through his career really has nothing to do with that. Going back to 2013 & 2014 and what was documented about how he conducted himself in Sarnia, that was wayyy before anyone knew what his views were. The questions we were asking at the 2014 draft: can he keep his emotions in check, can he conduct himself professionally, can he be a good teammate? Coaches can't still be asking those questions 7 years later. Quinn was scratching DeAngelo back in 2019 over a "maturity issue." The kid's not a kid anymore and he's run out of time trying to get his act together.

It goes back so far for him I actually felt just trying to stay current would be enough on its own. When you take the time to add it up it becomes almost as much trouble as he is. When you've had 8 years to change and had how many "wake up calls" and opted to hit the snooze button, you're not talking about a kid who has a hard time growing up. You're talking about the stuff that DOES NOT change no matter how much time you give it. God bless her but I have a grandmother who has had 65+ years of horror stories and wake up calls to change and at 93 years old she's still the same person.

In short: Tony is that guy we all know where we just have to hope he's okay because he's otherwise too reckless and stupid on his own to otherwise live life in a healthy manner. But he happens to be very good at hockey and has made some good money for it

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

If I'm not mistaken, the major issue in Sarnia was a suspension by his own team for a racist-or-homophobic slur. They were never specific on it, but I know I read somewhere that those were the grounds. There were a bunch of other issues.

Some kids grow out of it, some get worse. This guy might well have ruined a multi-million dollar career because he can't stop being a d***.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
DeAngelo is 25 now. That brain is likely locked in.

I remember when teams didn't want to draft Rocco Grimaldi. The story on him was that he was 'too' religious (Christian). Pushy religious. As he got older, it was apparently the other very devout Christians in pro hockey who eased him down.

The problem with political (hierarchical) thinking like DeAngelo is that it's about pushing further into extremes. It's not about acceptance or modesty, seeing other people as equals. It's about 'owning the (other side)' i.e., lessers.

Last edited:
Reactions: gn2007

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
If I'm not mistaken, the major issue in Sarnia was a suspension by his own team for a racist-or-homophobic slur. They were never specific on it, but I know I read somewhere that those were the grounds. There were a bunch of other issues.

Some kids grow out of it, some get worse. This guy might well have ruined a multi-million dollar career because he can't stop being a d***.
Twice in his draft year.

OHL announces disciplinary action for DeAngelo | The Sarnia Observer
The OHL has come down hard on Sting defenceman Anthony DeAngelo for violating the league’s Abuse/Diversity policy.

The suspension is his second under the policy this season, although this time it was for comments directed at a teammate.

You Can Play Project an obvious partner for OHL | The Sarnia Observer
In 2013-2014, the OHL handed down four suspensions under the Harassment and Abuse/Diversity Policy.

Three of those four suspensions went to Sarnia Sting players.
Branch was not available for comment, but both Burke and Dubas said that they believe, and hope, that the league has cracked down on discriminatory slurs.

And Burke is quick to point out that OHL's Abuse and Harasment/Diversity Policy doesn't just cover slurs about a person's sexuality.

“It doesn't matter, homophobic, sexist, racist, whatever it is.”

Last edited:
Reactions: DFC

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Lmao. Gotta hope this is it for him. But hockey never runs out of chances to give to absolute assholes as long as they can play well. Deangelo's problem is that he stopped playing well enough to make everything else about him worth it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I spent a little while thinking about a name for the ECHL Trois-Rivières team. I figure they won't go by "Quebec" or something, as that indicates Quebec City usually.

Every other team in the ECHL is an English-speaking team, so picking a cognate would work best, or a word that's similar enough in both French and English that it's still understood. The problem is you don't get a ton of those that are both good hockey team names for that particular market, and also not conflicting with another team.

edit: Voyageurs is surprisingly uncommon for a team name. Basically French Canadians who traded fur by canoe. Appropriate given 'three rivers'.

The only big team that uses the name are Laurentian University and USports isn't as big a deal as NCAA is in the US. Laurentian is way up in Sudbury, 8:30 hrs away. That's nearly the same time it takes to drive from Tampa to Charlotte.

Trois-Rivières was also a very important town in colonial Canada, being essentially the home of Canadian industrialization. Ironworking could be an angle as well.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
That's it for DeAngelo in NY

New York Rangers GM Jeff Gorton says defenceman Tony DeAngelo has played final game for the team - TSN.ca
Gorton said Saturday's incident was a final straw for DeAngelo, who was a healthy scratch for the second and third games of the season following an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in their 4-0 season-opening loss to the New York Islanders, something that player "wasn't able to move on from."

"I told him if his name came up in [any further incidents] that he would be on waivers...I felt like I had to stay true to my word, the organization's word," Gorton said.
Earlier on Monday, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported that DeAngelo's agent Pat Brisson and Gorton were talking with teams with trade interest in the player.

Dreger notes that Brisson is confident they will get something done in the near future and that DeAngelo will remain at home in the meantime awaiting a deal.
What happened between Rangers and Tony DeAngelo, and what may come next

Elliotte Friedman on what happened Saturday night:
"Saturday night, Rangers-Penguins. Ten seconds before the winning goal is scored, Georgiev and DeAngelo have a mixup, a miscommunication behind the net. Sidney Crosby gets in between them, and the Rangers players who are already on the ice for a while and noticeably exhausted can't get off. Crosby scores, and the Penguins win in overtime."

"They go off the ice, Georgiev is sitting, disappointed -- like any competitive person, especially a goaltender, would be after a game like that -- and DeAngelo walks by him and makes a sarcastic crack to him, and Georgiev clocks him. They go at it, and their teammates break it up. Later that night, the Rangers call DeAngelo [or his agent] and they say, 'That's the last straw. You're going on waivers tomorrow.' And then at noon ET [on Sunday], that's what happens."

Last edited:
Reactions: gn2007

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Imagine a team being Montreal's bitch, yikes Vancouver that's like 20 goals against in 3 games.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The AIHL is a summer league (for us), so they start in like April.

The EIHL had 'suspended' a few months back, but it was pretty clear that there wasn't going to be a way to start for 20/21. This just makes it official.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not a good year to suck, the draft is going to be a crapshoot with all the short/non-seasons.

copperlion

Aug 6, 2019
I'm happy for Verhaeghe. He deserved a bigger role and he's taking the opportunity and running with it. Marchessault 2.0

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Lol someone messed with Tony's burner.

What feels fake is that the burner account shared a screenshot from a convo with Pat Brisson, and "Tony" felt the need to note that John Weisbrod (former IHL Solar Bears GM, btw) was Canucks AGM to his agent. Pat Brisson is one of the most powerful, well-connected agents in the business. I would figure he would know that.

But then I probably don't think like Tony DeAngelo in several ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad