Attachments

• ek stamkos in san jose.jpg
    ek stamkos in san jose.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 34

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Sharks don't exactly have a bright outlook. Their farm talent is some of the worst in the league, they are one of the oldest teams in the league if not the oldest, and they have no 1st round picks for the next two seasons.

He'd make more on 9M a year playing with his friends in Tampa while being on an ultra stacked club, than he would making 12M a year in SJ.

...at the very least he'll want an opportunity to be convinced where to go this off season.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think he's always been slightly overrated due to the advanced stats boost from playing with Doughty, but they got a good deal for at least 2 cup runs. I guess Gardiner is guaranteed to be done with them next year.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
muzzin i like seen him a lot when went to la twice dont think its doughtery either guy plays a bit like cernak with a nice edge generally in control making smooth plays like stralman but more physicality on boards at net etc..

if IF IF toronto could land a TRUE number one d man like karlsson or hedman or subban etc... not just offensive but someone whom is difference maker and makes less mistakes then their current people id put them even with us so I HATE this trade honestly.... with this trade I am betting they might get through the first round finally and we got to burst their bubble before this trade with how much trouble they had d wise etc.. imho I wasnt sure they were lock for playoffs but now I really feel we are going to have to send them home and they will get boston finally. just my two cents

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
muzzin i like seen him a lot when went to la twice dont think its doughtery either guy plays a bit like cernak with a nice edge generally in control making smooth plays like stralman but more physicality on boards at net etc..

if IF IF toronto could land a TRUE number one d man like karlsson or hedman or subban etc... not just offensive but someone whom is difference maker and makes less mistakes then their current people id put them even with us so I HATE this trade honestly.... with this trade I am betting they might get through the first round finally and we got to burst their bubble before this trade with how much trouble they had d wise etc.. imho I wasnt sure they were lock for playoffs but now I really feel we are going to have to send them home and they will get boston finally. just my two cents

They definitely got better. I think they are still looking for another D. If they get Gudas will be a tough team to play. I think a series against them could go either way tbh. I give us the edge due to our experience but they are there with us talent wise. Sometimes thats all you need.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Frolunda HC and Red Bull Munich in the Champions Hockey League Finals on NHLN at 12:30 pm today.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Is this absolutely bonkers to anyone else? Matthews just is not good enough to command that kind of money.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That's relying on potential a lot. The whole "hasn't put up 70 points" argument is dumb but he's not really done anything to warrant that kind of money. 46 points in 38 games this season. That's good production but not 11.5 million good. And even last season he was barely a ppg player.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
That's relying on potential a lot. The whole "hasn't put up 70 points" argument is dumb but he's not really done anything to warrant that kind of money. 46 points in 38 games this season. That's good production but not 11.5 million good. And even last season he was barely a ppg player.
I'm not looking at it like the "70 point" meme. That's just to get under Leafs fans skin.

But I see a guy who is what - maybe 10th best forward in the league - maybe? And he's about to be the second highest paid player in the league *AND NOT EVEN ON MAX TERM*.

I don't blame him. He has the Leafs over a barrel. He's the face of the franchise and their first superstar center since Sundin, so he's negotiating to max his payday. Get yours bro and all that. But this is a bad contract. (assuming McKenzie is right)

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
I'm not looking at it like the "70 point" meme. That's just to get under Leafs fans skin.

But I see a guy who is what - maybe 10th best forward in the league - maybe? And he's about to be the second highest paid player in the league *AND NOT EVEN ON MAX TERM*.

I don't blame him. He has the Leafs over a barrel. He's the face of the franchise and their first superstar center since Sundin, so he's negotiating to max his payday. Get yours bro and all that. But this is a bad contract. (assuming McKenzie is right)
Pretty nuts to think about Matthews will be paid more than Kucherov.

I don't blame him either. The Leafs don't want another Nylander situation. They will bend over backwards to pay Matthews what he wants.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com

I don't blame him either. I blame the Leafs fan base. As you said, he MAY be the 10th best forward in the league...maybe. Yet Leafs fan acts as if he is THE top forward to ever lace them up and he's going to charge them as such. Eh, couldn't happen to a nice fan base..

Reactions: JDBolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad