Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Damn 11.6 for Mathews. One thing is for sure, they arent handing out discounts in Toronto.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's not that outrageous, given the context. Eichel and Nylander both are getting 10 mil. He was definitely getting more than Nylander, and Nylander sat out part of the season to get what he got.

McDavid is a bargain at 12.5 figuring that.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The term seems random, what's up with that? Most star players get their 8 year deals usually.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
I mean you can have our guys up for extensions (Point) try and use that but really the bargaining stops when you look at Hedman, Stamkos and Kuch and say "do you think you deserve more than them?"

If guys value money over being on an annual competitor sure I guess.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I mean you can have our guys up for extensions (Point) try and use that but really the bargaining stops when you look at Hedman, Stamkos and Kuch and say "do you think you deserve more than them?"

If guys value money over being on an annual competitor sure I guess.
At some point we'll be out of all those contracts, we'll be in the new meta where everyone wants 11 million dollars for doing half of that, and JBB will get blamed for not being Steve Yzerman.

Last edited:

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Something, something taxes.

We should make avatars mocking the Leafs cap hell when all we've heard for so long is how screwed WE are. Seriously, two trades and we have cap to sign Point and Karlsson if JBB wanted to
By that logic, if Toronto traded marleau and zaitsev they’re in a perfect cap spot as well.

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
I look forward to all the Leaf fans coming here that will be shouting "we signed our players to shit contracts therefore Point will sign one as well!11!!."

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I look forward to all the Leaf fans coming here that will be shouting "we signed our players to **** contracts therefore Point will sign one as well!11!!."

Actually it would be insanely smart for TB to see if their next wave of guys would take discounts too. That would open our window a ton, especially if Toronto is paying their best players market value at the expense of their depth. In a cap world you have to decide, you want market value or a competitive team. Pretty sure Crosby/Malkin did it with their team too.

#CupsOverCash

Reactions: JDBolt

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Terrible contract. Confusing as well. I don't understand the thought process behind any of it. Buying up only RFA years for max $$$$$ makes no sense.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Terrible contract. Confusing as well. I don't understand the thought process behind any of it. Buying up only RFA years for max $$$$$ makes no sense.
He'll be an UFA after the contract ends, still way too much imo.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Exactly. Matthews got everything he wanted. Max $ and can test FA market once he becomes UFA. Toronto management got fleeced and then some.
And all that for an exceptional player, no doubt, but one who can't stay healthy. Per 60 stats are nice but they won't help ya if he continues to miss 20+ games per season.

Also, that receding hair line of his ain't good for ads and sponsors. :sarcasm:

Edit: He's got good financial advisors around him:

Last edited:
Reactions: CupsOverCash

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The difference is, the guys we trade are actually trade-able pieces that other teams would actually want (Miller/Killorn/Johnson/Palat)
I don’t disagree, but ether way if you trade the bad contracts, even if you have to attach a pick, you’re much better off.

As an aside marleau and zaitsev are being made out to be much worse than they are. Marleau had 27 goals last year, zaitsev would be better suited playing with someone who isn’t joke gardiner. They’re not as bad as they’re being made out to be by non leaf fans, neither are they as good as what the majority of leaf fans want to believe as they pile them together in unrealistic trades for stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad