Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Not worried about NYI at all. Philly does worry me, though.

Islanders are also suspect in the back. It's part of how TB managed over 40 shots on net against them last Friday even without Stralman. Another issue for New York is an issue we often have with Cooper here - Capuano gets crucified by Islanders fans for his lack of in-game adjustments. I have concerns about Cooper in the playoffs given how awful his track record is there? Capuano might be the most ideal man to face, then, in that environment, and it's probably not even close. Blashill would be a playoff head coach rookie, but he sure has several years of experience as an assistant under Babcock in coaching playoff hockey, so that would help him. Hakstol would be a playoff rookie but we've seen what he's done in getting Philadelphia to succeed with virtually nothing on the blueline at all other than Gostisbehere and (of late) Gudas.

Basically, under either scenario that exists, the ideal matchup is as follows:

1st place - NYI
2nd place - DET

It's basically impossible to face Detroit if the Lightning win the division. It's gonna be a Metro team, you have to imagine, if the Lightning win the Atlantic. Obviously, 2nd place would mean facing whoever wins out between the Wings and Bruins, and I'm certainly in favor of Detroit winning that battle. They still have one head-to-head left, in Boston, but I must say I don't know who wins that tiebreak if it comes down to that; they are tied on ROW's and the difference between them could be achieved through one of them picking up an extra loser point before the season is up.

A question, I guess - it is theoretically possible that the Islanders could be the #1 wild card, and finish with more points than the Atlantic winner (they would surely own the ROW tiebreak in the case of Florida winning the division). I know that, in 2014, the Habs had home ice against the Rangers in the ECF even though New York finished 2nd in their division while Montreal finished 3rd. I guess the question is - if that scenario occurs, and NYI has more points, who gets home ice?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Something's seriously wrong with Colin Campbell. What a clown. Also, Bob McKenzie's "involvement" in the league's player disciplinary matters is... mind-boggling.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Ah, St. Louis professional sports teams, continuing their flawless record of being completely useless when facing Boston professional sports teams tonight. Wonderful.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Boston and Detroit both won tonight :/

1. Florida - 95 pts / 5 games left
2. Tampa Bay - 93 pts / 5 games left
3. Boston - 90 pts / 4 games left
4. Detroit - 89 pts / 4 games left

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Boston and Detroit both won tonight :/

1. Florida - 95 pts / 5 games left
2. Tampa Bay - 93 pts / 5 games left
3. Boston - 90 pts / 4 games left
4. Detroit - 89 pts / 4 games left

This is one of the reasons we keep playing Bish and everyone else.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Pittsburgh is far and away the best team in the East. I would place a strong wager, and would have done so a long time ago*, too, that they'll win the conference.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean - it's not impossible that we drop out of the playoff race.

That would be a huge disappointment.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I mean - it's not impossible that we drop out of the playoff race.

That would be a huge disappointment.

Even before Boston lost, the Lightning were five up on them and four up on Detroit with a game in hand on them coming into the day; only 4/3 games left respectively for those two, none of them head-to-head.

It would be utterly impossible for TB to miss the playoffs from that position.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
With a magic number of 1 that's pretty much a clinch, no way the teams behind us don't drop a single point.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Hell, Detroit and Boston still have to play each other! One of them is going to drop a point, minimum. That means, if Boston wins out and finishes on 96 points, then Detroit maxes out at 96, too, and the Lightning win the tiebreakers over both.

So just one point out of the remaining eight out there does the deal. Lightning can't lose all four in regulation, can they?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
What's it going to take for Bishop to get any Vezina recognition this year? I see a lot of writers leaving him off their ballot completely. That's absolutely infuriating.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
What's it going to take for Bishop to get any Vezina recognition this year? I see a lot of writers leaving him off their ballot completely. That's absolutely infuriating.

It is infuriating. I understand Holtby getting the love he is, I don't agree with it because I feel his #s especially and obviously wins are inflated due to the team he is on, but I get it because that's what people see is his almost record breaking season.

Crawford, Schneider, Quick even see Lou, have no place ahead of Bishop. If he is not an official nominee I will be on the verge of rage.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Bishop has been the reason Tampa made playoffs 2/3 years he's been the starter. He has 3 straight years of 30+ wins and his numbers are usually solid, especially this season!

He deserves a Vezina and some recognition

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Never want to see a player get injured but Lee sure got a taste of Karma.

I don't mean Karma in the way that he deserved the injury, but it's sure as hell interesting that his slew foot caused Stralman to fracture his leg and then a week later he has his leg fractured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad