News Article: Army on the Offseason

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Skinner has 379 points in 579 games which is 0.65 points/game. Oshie had 310 points in 443 games as a Blue which is 0.70 points/game. Not seeing how Oshie is "nowhere close" to Skinner.
And that’s not taking into account that Oshie is actually good defensively, whereas Skinner is below average.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Oshie is a much better all around player than Skinner. Skinner is better offensively, he has really soft mits in tight, and his edgework is excellent. I would still take Oshie over Skinner, but I am sure many will disagree.

Last edited:

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
DA let his friendship with Hitch affect the club in the Oshie trade. DA has done more good than bad here, but that was a bad decision, and I'm sure he regrets it now.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
My biggest concern is that even if the Blues win the Tavares-sweepstakes, is that enough to get them past WPG or Nashville? There needs to be a purge of some of the least-productive guys and better guys brought in...on top of landing the biggest fish in free agency. Seems like a monumental task for a guy who has screwed up some of his higher-profile deals. (Miller/Oshie)

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
My biggest concern is that even if the Blues win the Tavares-sweepstakes, is that enough to get them past WPG or Nashville? There needs to be a purge of some of the least-productive guys and better guys brought in...on top of landing the biggest fish in free agency. Seems like a monumental task for a guy who has screwed up some of his higher-profile deals. (Miller/Oshie)

No, but Tavares and a Hoffman or Skinner would be. We'd still be a bit thin on RW/hoping that Fabbri will still be good and can stay healthy, but otherwise, I don't think there'd be a stronger roster in the league. Adding a PPG forward and 25-30 goal scorer is a giant shot in the arm. I'd be confident in that team even if we keep Allen in goal.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I mean, Vegas did.

I know they had luck on their side but while the Jets and Preds are good teams, I don't view them as these unstoppable monsters. Nashville looked fairly pedestrian actually...even Colorado gave them some trouble. Did you know that Nashville didn't have a single player that scored 30+ goals? They were the only "contender" that didn't have one. I think they are starting to become a bit overrated. 2017 is still the only year they've ever made it past the 2nd round. And Winnipeg could lose some depth - Stastny probably won't be back, they likely have to trade one of their RHD like Myers, etc.

I think the Blues can compete with anyone really if they add 2 top 6 forwards. They'd be right there in the mix in the West.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Tavares alone makes us a strong playoff team. Maybe not a Cup favorite, but we have a puncher's chance. Despite some poor goaltending play, we were still 6th best in Goals against. Our problem was our scoring. For much of the season, with injuries or trading Stastny, we had a 1st line, a 3rd line and 2 4th lines. We constantly had people playing up to fill in that missing 2nd line. Tavares-Tarasenko and Schwartz-Schenn are a top 6 regardless of who you put them with. Then we have the possibility that Fabbri can be a top 6 player and maybe Thomas,Thompson or Kyrou on Schenn's right. Our 3rd liner can then play 3rd line (bolstered by Thomas if he doesn't play up). Dunn will improve too, making our defense and PP better.

That is year 1. In year 2, we can make other moves, have our youth grow more. None of our core are hitting a downslide anytime soon, except for Steen. And ideally he would be pushed down to a 3rd line roll anyway. We need scoring. That is our #1, #2 and #3 needs far above goaltending. Tavares not only provides it on his own, but he also improves those he plays with. He made Anders Lee and 40 goal scorer. A healthy Fabbri and Tarasenko could put up 70 combined with him, plus his 30-40. With Schenn and Schwartz doing their thing (even if they have to do it with Jaskin as a worst case scenario), that is a strong top 2 lines.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
This is a very interesting thread. Every time I see that kid Dunn's name, I start believing like I could hold on to that feeling that this team has a future. Dunn's a hockey player with a future. I like our youth movement. Unfortunately, youth movements take time and they can be a gamble.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

If we get Tavares and Fabbri/Thomas/Kyrou can provide good 3rd line caliber production (as in like 40 points each), I'd say we are right up there with Winnepeg and Nashville. Lot of "ifs".

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Idk, I think Tavares is enough scoring punch to put us near the top of the league. Tavares, Tarasenko, Schenn, and Schwartz are a pretty potent top 4. Kyrou, Thomas, and Fabbri will all be in the mix and add scoring depth, and hopefully they can push Bergy, Sobotka and Steen into complementary roles that better fit them.

BitterSnail

Jun 11, 2018
Seattle, WA
Tavares takes a lot of weight off the older/less-producing guys (Steen, Bergie, Sobotka) to where hopefully they can slot into different roles and produce freely, since they don't carry as much weight on their shoulders. I think Nashville is going to regress a bit next season, they've played a lot of hockey over the last two years, and aren't as young as WPG just going off the top of my head. If we add Tavares and maybe some depth to where we have even three dependable scoring lines, I think its us and Winnipeg to fight for the division.

A lot of next season depends on if you can get Steen and Berglund into better roles, what their doing now isn't working, especially with those contracts.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Tavares takes a lot of weight off the older/less-producing guys (Steen, Bergie, Sobotka) to where hopefully they can slot into different roles and produce freely, since they don't carry as much weight on their shoulders. I think Nashville is going to regress a bit next season, they've played a lot of hockey over the last two years, and aren't as young as WPG just going off the top of my head. If we add Tavares and maybe some depth to where we have even three dependable scoring lines, I think its us and Winnipeg to fight for the division.

A lot of next season depends on if you can get Steen and Berglund into better roles, what their doing now isn't working, especially with those contracts.

I’d say a top 9 of this

Steen-Tavares-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou/trade
Fabbri-Thomas-Berglund

is waaaay better than a top 9 of this

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Stastny-Thompson
Steen-Brodziak-Berglund

We’d be the best team in the West IMO. Especially if we add another top 6 guy and have JK start in the AHL.

If Anders Lee can score 40 with JT, why can’t Tarasenko hit 45+? Or Steen back in the 30’s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad