News Article: Army on the Offseason

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
I don't think Joe Thornton would be a "major upgrade at center" and the missing link for the Blues to make a run at the Cup. Just saying.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So today on twitter, I made a little graphic saying ownership and all Blues fans want John Tavares in reference to that article. Then a Blues fan tweets me saying “LOL I just don’t get how you could think Tavares would solve the Blues problems”.

I took that to mean that he thinks it doesn’t matter if the goalie isn’t replaced. As it turns out, he thinks ROR is a better fit and will come cheaper than Tavares. He went on to say he’d offer Sobotka, Schmaltz and “maybe Blais or Berglund.”

.....I think I’m done with Twitter.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I don't think Joe Thornton would be a "major upgrade at center" and the missing link for the Blues to make a run at the Cup. Just saying.

You're right that Thornton wouldn't be "the missing link" to get us to the Cup.

That said; we ended the year with Kyle Brodziak as our #2 center. I love Brodz; but Thornton would absolutely be a major upgrade at C, even at age 39. Last year Thornton was pacing for 63 points. Even with a bit more decline factored in; he should still out-produce Brodziak by 20+ points.

He's not a guy I would offer too big of a contract to given his age; but IMO he's probably still the best of the 2nd line stopgaps available this summer(Staz and Bozak being the others).

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
So today on twitter, I made a little graphic saying ownership and all Blues fans want John Tavares in reference to that article. Then a Blues fan tweets me saying “LOL I just don’t get how you could think Tavares would solve the Blues problems”.

I took that to mean that he thinks it doesn’t matter if the goalie isn’t replaced. As it turns out, he thinks ROR is a better fit and will come cheaper than Tavares. He went on to say he’d offer Sobotka, Schmaltz and “maybe Blais or Berglund.”

Gotta imagine that's a highly competitive offer

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

And that's exactly what people in this thread said, verbatim. Well, only if verbatim means "except not at all what people said". I dunno, its kinda a big word. Thank you for clarifying that Thornton is not the savior of the franchise before I finished my multi-part plan for the Blues to become a dynasty. All I had was....

Step 1. Sign Thornton
Step 2. ??????
Step 3. Dynasty

But you saved me the trouble of finishing. My new plan is

1. Ask Hulderko who the missing piece is
2. Sign them
3. Dynasty

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
And that's exactly what people in this thread said, verbatim. Well, only if verbatim means "except not at all what people said". I dunno, its kinda a big word. Thank you for clarifying that Thornton is not the savior of the franchise before I finished my multi-part plan for the Blues to become a dynasty. All I had was....

Step 1. Sign Thornton
Step 2. ??????
Step 3. Dynasty

But you saved me the trouble of finishing. My new plan is

1. Ask Hulderko who the missing piece is
2. Sign them
3. Dynasty

If Thomas can center Tarasenko I honestly believe Joe Thornton would be a great center for Berglund as hard as that is for me to say. Would definitely slow the pace of the game a lot

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Blues Facebook comment section still takes the cake

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Obviously Armstrong knows he’s going to sign Tavares. All the other teams need not talk to JT :sarcasm:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
its his last shot at it, no way will army leave any bullets in the chamber.

go all in on JT and then some, core needs a shakeup. Berglund and Sobotka should both be moved IMO, along with Jaskin.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
From an obscure interview, both Kyrou and Thomas were considered for the Blues this last year. I wouldn't read a thing into the AHL situation as an indicator to his readiness. TC will be his opportunity. Same as it was for Walman and Dunn. Few had Dunn ahead of Walman, especially after Walman's Traverse city performance....
I always had Dunn ahead of him. I don't know where people ever got the notion that Walman was ahead because of a prospect tournament. He was still in college while Dunn was tearing up the AHL. Choice was pretty clear I thought.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I have very little concern about Army trading Kyrou and the 1st for a LW we don't need. I get that Steen has become public enemy #1 for a lot of people, but Army loves him. If we trade Kyrou instead of Fabbri, the organization is going to give Fabbri a chance to ease back into the NHL as a top 9 LW instead of asking him to change positions. Schenn and Schwartz aren't getting broken up. Given the way Army views the players on this roster, it would make zero sense for him to trade a 1st and top 3 prospect to fill a redundancy. He wasn't willing to pay the price for Hoffman at the TDL, so there is no reason to believe that he would suddenly pay a 1st and Kyrou for him at the draft.

I also have very little concern about Army missing on everything he tries to do. He might end up overpaying for someone, but there is basically zero chance that he just stands pat all summer. We have too much cap space and too many expendable futures assets for nothing to happen. We may or may not like the trade/signing/combo, but there is no reason to worry that the opening night roster will just be last year's final roster plus Fabbri and rookies.

As a comment on the article, it may as well have started with "Dear Mr. Tavares." Army generally isn't this candid and it is obvious to me that he did this article as part of a sales pitch to Tavares and other UFAs. He wants it known that we will make competitive offers and are looking to win and not rebuild.
I completely agree with this. I feel like people almost act scared for attention or just for the sake of being scared.

Why is anyone "terrified" Armstrong is going to make a colossal mistake or just do nothing? Either one has a very low chance of happening. This is his job, his team just missed the playoffs. He has to improve them. Even if Kyrou did get traded, it wouldn't be for a scrub so there's no real reason to worry.

Trading for a LW - He did mention Steen and Fabbri as C candidates if we miss out on getting one. So in his mind, he may look at getting a LW as the next best thing to a C, as he can slide one over. The two targets he was rumored to have been in discussions about were Hoffman and Patches. We had Steen then, and it didn't stop him from kicking the tires on those guys. You seem to have more faith in Army than I do. After-all, he built the roster with all of these redundancies.

Striking out - It wouldn't be the first time. In 2013, we missed on everyone we wanted and ended up with Derrick Roy. That to me is completely missing out. Free agents don't flock to St. Louis. The only big name free agent we have signed that did not play here before is Stastny who grew up here. If Army is reluctant to trade more than a first, he isn't getting anyone in trade. Not getting a good deal, deciding to wait for free agency, and striking out there is an absolutely realistic outcome. Likely, maybe not. But absolutely a possibility. If we start trying to make a trade after striking out at the draft and in free agency, the prices will suddenly go way, way up.
I don't think that comment about the LWs means anything. That's simply him saying yeah we have a need at center but I'm going to name a couple guys who have played center in the past just so I don't look completely desperate here. That's it. You'd have to be insane to think the Blues would ever count on Robby Fabbri to be a #2 center after coming off two knee surgeries. That isn't happening. He's staying on the wing or getting traded, those are the only 2 possibilities. And anyone who has watched the Blues, including Armstrong, knows Steen is miles better at LW than center. That's why he's slated to be a LW'er and only plays center in a pinch, not the other way around. If Armstrong was truly counting on one of these guys to play there, he would have never made the comment about looking for a center.

Nobody wants to be the Montreal Canadiens who don't have anything that even resembles a top 6 center on their roster. Saying "we have Schenn and nobody else" gives us zero leverage in trade talks.

As for the people saying "do we really want Thornton or Bozak if it comes down to that?" Uh, yes? As opposed to... Sobotka or Berglund? Yes, obviously we do. I'd take Bozak in a heart beat if he's the best option left, why not?

Last edited:
Reactions: Thallis

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I always had Dunn ahead of him. I don't know where people ever got the notion that Walman was ahead because of a prospect tournament. He was still in college while Dunn was tearing up the AHL. Choice was pretty clear I thought.
I did too but managment/writers and some posters had Walman ahead

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The most interesting thing about the article is talking about Fabbri as a top-6 player.

Again, more comments that indicate he views Thomas as being on the roster next season as well.

It's hard to see us not being active in moving at least a couple of players out in the next few weeks.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I still like Skinner, sounds like the price is reasonable. From reading what Cane fans are saying, they wont be surprised with an underwhelming return.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Steen was our RW band-aid this season wasn't he? I would assume that if a younger guy doesn't get that spot and we don't go outside the org for a RW that Steen will be back there again. Trading for a winger at the draft is a lot more likely than trading for a center unfortunately. It's likely that winger shoots left if we're playing the %'s. That's why I'm just assuming Steen will be back at No.2 RW. Hoffman continues to be an intriguing option especially given his 5.4 mil cap hit and goal scoring reputation. According to Sens fans he can play his off wing. I'm not necessarily advocating we go after him but clearly Army was interested and the Sens have that unique crappy owner thing going on that he can potentially take advantage of. Getting Hoffman I believe still allows us to go after Tavares and sends a very well timed message right before we would be offering him a contract.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis

I would quit twitter too, there is no way we add a player of Berglund's legend to that already over-payment ....:sarcasm:

Reactions: mk80

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I still like Skinner, sounds like the price is reasonable. From reading what Cane fans are saying, they wont be surprised with an underwhelming return.
jeff skinner is a superb player and would be a welcomed addition.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
lol, Skinner is quite same what Oshie was when he get traded from Blues.

Skinner has seasons with 31, 33 and 37 goals.

How many times did Oshie top 30 goals before he got traded(hint, it’s the same number of Stanley Cup’s that the Blues have won).

Sorry, but no. Skinner has already established himself as a premier scoring winger in the League. Oshie was nowhere close to that when we traded him.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Skinner has seasons with 31, 33 and 37 goals.

How many times did Oshie top 30 goals before he got traded(hint, it’s the same number of Stanley Cup’s that the Blues have won).

Sorry, but no. Skinner has already established himself as a premier scoring winger in the League. Oshie was nowhere close to that when we traded him.
Skinner has 379 points in 579 games which is 0.65 points/game. Oshie had 310 points in 443 games as a Blue which is 0.70 points/game. Not seeing how Oshie is "nowhere close" to Skinner.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I completely agree with this. I feel like people almost act scared for attention or just for the sake of being scared.

Why is anyone "terrified" Armstrong is going to make a colossal mistake or just do nothing? Either one has a very low chance of happening. This is his job, his team just missed the playoffs. He has to improve them. Even if Kyrou did get traded, it wouldn't be for a scrub so there's no real reason to worry.

I don't think that comment about the LWs means anything. That's simply him saying yeah we have a need at center but I'm going to name a couple guys who have played center in the past just so I don't look completely desperate here. That's it. You'd have to be insane to think the Blues would ever count on Robby Fabbri to be a #2 center after coming off two knee surgeries. That isn't happening. He's staying on the wing or getting traded, those are the only 2 possibilities. And anyone who has watched the Blues, including Armstrong, knows Steen is miles better at LW than center. That's why he's slated to be a LW'er and only plays center in a pinch, not the other way around. If Armstrong was truly counting on one of these guys to play there, he would have never made the comment about looking for a center.

Nobody wants to be the Montreal Canadiens who don't have anything that even resembles a top 6 center on their roster. Saying "we have Schenn and nobody else" gives us zero leverage in trade talks.

As for the people saying "do we really want Thornton or Bozak if it comes down to that?" Uh, yes? As opposed to... Sobotka or Berglund? Yes, obviously we do. I'd take Bozak in a heart beat if he's the best option left, why not?

Because there has been a rumor mill of LWers available mainly. We are also pressing for help up front.

Don't get me wrong Patches/Skinner/Hoffman are great players. But that would be us pretty much throwing more of the same out there while filling our holes with pieces that don't fit perfectly.

Look GMs don't need it reiterated to them that Steen has played center, or Schwartz has played center. There is a pretty distinct reasoning on why Kyle Brodziak was our number 2 center on the team when we were trying to make a playoff push. I'd be shocked if each teams pro scouting department. Didn't do their due diligence to realize that.

The fact of the matter is though if we are shipping off a Kyrou RW/C and other assets for immediate help it damn well either better be a center or a right wing. Because I think it's pretty clear seeing what we lack at ES and on the PP

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
skinner > tj chokie

im all for getting skinner and JT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad