News Article: Army on the Offseason

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This may be the most open I've ever seen Armstrong about acquiring outside help. He sounds aggressive.

I'm excited for these next few weeks.
Interesting that he mentioned JE as part of core and not Parayko. Could be nothing, as question mentioned Parayko (but also Tank who he did mention again), but sometimes in interviews like this what isn't said is as telling as what is.

Reactions: Brian39

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He also mentioned Thomas multiple times. Safe to say DA is excited about him. As expected, sounds like they would like to ease him into lineup at 3C, but would be major surprise if Thomas doesn't make opening night roster.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Interesting that he mentioned JE as part of core and not Parayko. Could be nothing, as question mentioned Parayko (but also Tank who he did mention again), but sometimes in interviews like this what isn't said is as telling as what is.
The guy who wrote the article did send a tweet that said he mentioned Parayko in another interview so he wouldn't read into it.

Maybe the more telling thing would be that he mentioned Thompson and Thomas but not Kyrou. That could also mean nothing.

But maybe it's just me but sometimes I get the feeling that the Blues just really like Thompson. I would kinda be more surprised if they traded him than I would Kyrou, not that I would agree with that decision however.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I love this article. It’s exactly what we’ve been wanting him to do, and I think he’s all-in on getting us back on track as a contender, but with an eye on the future too.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I really, REALLY hope Jordan Kyrou isn't traded. Thomas and Kyrou should be the untouchables of the big 4. Kyrou is basically the perfect RW for Schwartz and Schenn. Unless the guy they are getting is a top 4 player on this team, I don't see how it's worth trading Kyrou.

Also, please no to Bozak or Thornton.

EDIT: Reading the article a second time, I don't think he purposely left Parayko or Kyrou off the core or future list. I think he was just stating that Thompson and Thomas are viewed as centers of the future for this team while Kyrou is not. I have to think that Parayko is here for the long haul because Pietrangelo only has 2 years left on his deal.

Last edited:

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Thomas is currently our highest rated prospect and considered the most NHL ready out of the bunch. Thompson, already playing a year, I think is viewed ahead of Kyrou (from the front office POV) on the RW depth chart. I think the Kyrou omission is a bit more worrisome that Colts but this probably leans more towards him needing some time in the AHL if their was intention.

But overall I'd agree that this wasn't on purpose. Doesn't help my paranoia of him being moved for immediate help though!​

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Don’t trade the first! #donttradethefirst

#Don'tListenToThatGuy After all...

You are right and I am dumb

:D:sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I think its pretty obvious based on everything said since the TDL, that the first is gone if we can find an acceptable player in return. But I do think Armstrong doesn't want to pay much more than the first. I'd say instead of 1st + Thompson/Kostin/Kyrou like many of us think/expect, he is lo0oking Sobotka + 1st and maybe a lesser prospect like Blias/Foley/Stevens. I don't think you can get an acceptable player out of that. I'd say either Hoffman or Patches is worth more as a 1-yr rental, much less TJ, RoR, Kessel etc. We got Schenn for basically a first because of Lehtera. In our minds the deal was 1st for Schenn and first to dump Lehtera. But for Philly, Lehtera didn't have much negative value because they had cap space. To them, it was 2 firsts for Schenn and Lehtera was the grease to get the deal done. My biggest fear is definitely not Kyrou winning the Calder, cause that's not happening. Its that Armstrong does not find his perfect deal and does nothing. Then we strike out in free agency. Afterwards Army gets desperate early in the season and vastly overpays for whatever scraps are left available. I think that is quite possible and should be everyone's nightmare, both those who want a move and those who want to hoard prospects.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I think he mentioned Thompson and not Kyrou based on NHL readiness. I'm guessing the Blues have Thomas and Thompson as the two prospects closed to getting full time jobs in the NHL. Kostin is at least a year away too and he wasn't mentioned either.

Reactions: Celtic Note

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
In all seriousness, I think its pretty obvious based on everything said since the TDL, that the first is gone if we can find an acceptable player in return. But I do think Armstrong doesn't want to pay much more than the first. I'd say instead of 1st + Thompson/Kostin/Kyrou like many of us think/expect, he is looking Sobotka + 1st and maybe a lesser prospect like Blais/Foley/Stevens. I don't think you can get an acceptable player out of that. I'd say either Hoffman or Patches is worth more as a 1-yr rental, much less TJ, RoR, Kessel etc. We got Schenn for basically a first because of Lehtera. In our minds the deal was 1st for Schenn and first to dump Lehtera. But for Philly, Lehtera didn't have much negative value because they had cap space. To them, it was 2 firsts for Schenn and Lehtera was the grease to get the deal done. My biggest fear is definitely not Kyrou winning the Calder, cause that's not happening. Its that Armstrong does not find his perfect deal and does nothing. Then we strike out in free agency. Afterwards Army gets desperate early in the season and vastly overpays for whatever scraps are left available. I think that is quite possible and should be everyone's nightmare, both those who want a move and those who want to hoard prospects.

If you can get Patches or Hoffman on a 1 year rental for that price, it would be worth it to rid ourselves of Sobotka's contract. I do agree, that I don't think the first, Sobotka, and a lesser prospect is enough, but you never know because the other team may flip Sobotka again.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I wouldn't be shocked if Kyrou isn't on the opening night roster just so he can get a little bit of #1 line time down in San Antonio with Blues' coaches. The Blues will want to see what Thompson has done over the offseason and if Jaskin's tourney results can push him into a bigger role on the #3 line. Plus, what will Barbashev look like after a dose of reality hopefully changed his offseason program? Kyrou will be up before Christmas.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
#Don'tListenToThatGuy After all...

:D:sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I think its pretty obvious based on everything said since the TDL, that the first is gone if we can find an acceptable player in return. But I do think Armstrong doesn't want to pay much more than the first. I'd say instead of 1st + Thompson/Kostin/Kyrou like many of us think/expect, he is lo0oking Sobotka + 1st and maybe a lesser prospect like Blias/Foley/Stevens. I don't think you can get an acceptable player out of that. I'd say either Hoffman or Patches is worth more as a 1-yr rental, much less TJ, RoR, Kessel etc. We got Schenn for basically a first because of Lehtera. In our minds the deal was 1st for Schenn and first to dump Lehtera. But for Philly, Lehtera didn't have much negative value because they had cap space. To them, it was 2 firsts for Schenn and Lehtera was the grease to get the deal done. My biggest fear is definitely not Kyrou winning the Calder, cause that's not happening. Its that Armstrong does not find his perfect deal and does nothing. Then we strike out in free agency. Afterwards Army gets desperate early in the season and vastly overpays for whatever scraps are left available. I think that is quite possible and should be everyone's nightmare, both those who want a move and those who want to hoard prospects.
That is my fear too. The Blues don't get anything done and we basically enter the season with last years finishing roster + Fabbri and Thomas. We'd only really have one offensive center unless Thomas can accelerate to a #2 center at light speed.

My gut still says that we strike out on JT and Stastny and end up panicking and overpaying in dollars and term for Bozak. It would be Stastny's contract on steroids.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Given Armys contract extention, I dont see a brutal panick move. At least not in terms of top prospects. I could see a scenario where he moves multiple 1sts again. With the prospect depth though, it wouldn't be a brutal move

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
What I took from the no mention Parayko is that Armstrong named the best player we have at each position.

I agree with Oberyn that Thompson was specifically stated on the basis of NHL readiness. I think the fact that Kyrou didn't get any playing time in the AHL at the end of the season gives pause to his readiness as that would have been a great opportunity to see how he'd do in a higher league.

Reactions: Brian39

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
What I took from the no mention Parayko is that Armstrong named the best player we have at each position.

I agree with Oberyn that Thompson was specifically stated on the basis of NHL readiness. I think the fact that Kyrou didn't get any playing time in the AHL at the end of the season gives pause to his readiness as that would have been a great opportunity to see how he'd do in a higher league.

I've seen this mentioned a few times about Kyrou. People are reading way too far into that as a negative. Chicago wasn't about to insert a new player into their line-up in the midst of the postseason. Kyrou was assigned to Chicago around April 19, 2018. The AHL regular season was a wrap at that point. Chicago was swept 0-3 in the first round against Rockford losing 2-1, 5-2, 4-3. Sure Kyrou didn't see the ice after being assigned but there were only a total of 3 games played all in the postseason.

Entering 17-18, I could see the Blues having Thompson ranked ahead of Kyrou. However, after the monster year Kyrou just had, both in the OHL and at the WJC, the Blues may have them ranked differently now. Reviewing Thompson's 17-18 does provide a cautionary tale for us fans though. Expecting Thomas, Kyrou or any of these kids to be difference makers next year is no guarantee, particularly if they are relegated to 3rd and 4th line duty.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
The AHL situation was a disaster last year. The fact that we can now control the roles and situations of our top guys makes it a lot easier to send a guy like Kyrou start off in San Antonio. There he can learn to play our system, be allowed to make some mistakes, and still grow offensive confidence in a man's league. Almost wish FSMW would air the Rampage games.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I doubt that Jumbo Joe would leave SJ. If he did, I would be interested at 1 year from the perspective that he would be depth protection for Thomas.

Keep in mind 3 things when thinking about Thornton: (1) As stated, its highly doubtful he leaves San Jose unless they need the cap space for Tavares, (2) We wouldn't sign him unless we struck out on draft day trades and on Tavares, and (3) Next year's UFA C crop barring players re-signing could be damn good too with Seguin, Duchene, Pavelski, Couture, and Brassard plus some huge name D to take the pressure off of the Center market. Granted, for #3, at least a few of those guys will re-sign. But if we miss on TJ, RoR, Tavares, and Stastny, would you prefer Bozak or a year of Thornton and a shot at the Seguin apple. Again, I doubt he is on the market, but with the Kane signing and pushing for Tavares, SJ needs to find cap space. If they get Tavares and let Thornton go, he is a decent stop-gap for us.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
If we can’t land Tavares, and instead are running reliable 2 way centers out there, then I especially hope we keep Kyrou. His best chance of success is likely to be playing off that kind of centerman. It could mesh with his capacity to make creative plays at a high speed nicely.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

From an obscure interview, both Kyrou and Thomas were considered for the Blues this last year. I wouldn't read a thing into the AHL situation as an indicator to his readiness. TC will be his opportunity. Same as it was for Walman and Dunn. Few had Dunn ahead of Walman, especially after Walman's Traverse city performance....

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'm absolutely terrified that DA is going to trade Kyrou and the first for a left winger. Leaving us without room to make a run at Tavares and then having to watch Kyrou win the Calder this coming year. Absolutely terrified.
If Kyrou wins the Calder I will kill and eat a raccoon.

Wouldn't be upset if Kyrou is traded for an upgrade at RW or C. Agreed that trading him for a pure LWer wouldn't be smart, but I think some folks are starting to overrate Kyrou. Hopefully he makes a successful transition to the pro game next season (in either the AHL or NHL) and continues to have a long career in Saint Louis. I do have doubts about his skills, other than his skating, translating well. We shall see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad