Proposal: Armia for Mantha

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Mantha’s useless when he isn’t scoring, no argument. Armia is useless pretty much most of the time AND when he isn’t scoring, which is again most of the time.

The whole point literally IS that Mantha’s done in a year. The Caps cannot and will not take on bad contracts that are also continuing so they’re basically not interested in any deals with Mtl. Armia doesn’t just prevent them from making deals this season but next as well and Wsh is in no position to take on that uncertainty.
That's the one "good" thing about Armia is that he can at least PK and he's not too bad at it.

That's fair and why I said it would be better, or make more sense of a Hoffman - Mantha. Both are useless when not scoring, but Hoffman might be more durable and likely to be there at the deadline. He costs 1.2 mill less for the 1 season, but Mantha would likely get a round better pick at the deadline due to his size if he's healthy and both pretty much repeat their season.

I know some teams do the 2 year, but less cap hit for 1 year, but that hasn't been done in a bit, or at least that I can remember.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Pretty obvious I was making a joke about armia there? No need to be so sensitive.
Yeah I get that, but….
While I agree I gotta point some stuff out.

Mantha is f***ing useless when he isn't scoring

He's had 2 down years out of 3.

He's often injured.

The only reason he has more value than Armia is because he's done a year sooner. If he had another 2 years... oof. Then again, that cap hit hurts. Like Gallagher, the benefit is that he's more likely to be hurt than playing.
a supermajority of HfHabs posters are constantly posting the rosiest homer evaluations of their players without the slightest hint of irony so you’ll have to forgive me for pointing out that calling out a “Negative value” contract on another team is literally throwing boulders in a stained glass Centre Bell.

That's the one "good" thing about Armia is that he can at least PK and he's not too bad at it.

That's fair and why I said it would be better, or make more sense of a Hoffman - Mantha. Both are useless when not scoring, but Hoffman might be more durable and likely to be there at the deadline. He costs 1.2 mill less for the 1 season, but Mantha would likely get a round better pick at the deadline due to his size if he's healthy and both pretty much repeat their season.

I know some teams do the 2 year, but less cap hit for 1 year, but that hasn't been done in a bit, or at least that I can remember.
This is a reasonable take. It nicely encapsulates why Wsh prefers to keep Mantha in this circumstance.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
a supermajority of HfHabs posters are constantly posting the rosiest homer evaluations of their players without the slightest hint of irony so you’ll have to forgive me for pointing out that calling out a “Negative value” contract on another team is literally throwing boulders in a stained glass Centre Bell.
:eyeroll:

Relax dude.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Armia for Mantha

Two overpaid forwards.

Two inconsistent players.

Armia better defensively.

Mantha has a better offensive upside.

Mantha is paid 5,7 mil, but is a year away from UFA.

Armia makes 3,4 mil for 2 more seasons.

MTL will have some cap space next year, Washington would take the cap space.

Seems globally fair to me.
So Awful for washington.

just retain at 50% at the deadline and get an asset for Mantha.

Habs ain’t going to be able to easily get rid of their several bad contracts with term.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
All of the Montreal forwards are crap and cap dumps.

Edmundson for Mantha would make sense.

Both will get an asset at the deadline!

If Washington trades for a Montreal forward for Mantha……. They will lose value when it comes to the deadline and they are trading off UFA for picks!

Washington could use the veteran D and Montreal could use the size up front to hide the fact that all their forwards are smurfs! Even though Mantha doesn’t use his size!

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Always thought Armia is due to a break-out season. Hasnt happened yet though...

Id do it for Caps, although most of our fb will disagree. I like Armia and think he has similar tools as Mantha, but difference is cheaper contract (though an extra year) and even when off he is a bit more reliable defensively + good at PK. The down year is a red flag though.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
All of the Montreal forwards are crap and cap dumps.

Edmundson for Mantha would make sense.

Both will get an asset at the deadline!

If Washington trades for a Montreal forward for Mantha……. They will lose value when it comes to the deadline and they are trading off UFA for picks!

Washington could use the veteran D and Montreal could use the size up front to hide the fact that all their forwards are smurfs! Even though Mantha doesn’t use his size!

Edmundson for Mantha is a decent base. Capitals actually need an Edmundson type veteran LD and the cap savings would be welcome. Still think Mantha has slightly more value, realized either with Habs retaining on Eddy or a mid round pick

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

Yeah, we were f***ed by bad contract, and we had to enter a rebuild.
Speaking of which, this is exactly where Washington is going full speed too.
You talk about us throwing rocks from a glass house, how about you, bro?
How's the Caps and their amazing contracts doing?

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Edmundson for Mantha is a decent base. Capitals actually need an Edmundson type veteran LD and the cap savings would be welcome. Still think Mantha has slightly more value, realized either with Habs retaining on Eddy or a mid round pick
Nobody wants Mantha, he's a slug with no heart, makes me think of Drouin with a worse contract.
Poeple said Armia for Mantha because it's dead wood for dead wood.
No way your getting Edmundson retained for Mantha.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Nobody wants Mantha, he's a slug with no heart, makes me think of Drouin with a worse contract.
Poeple said Armia for Mantha because it's dead wood for dead wood.
No way your getting Edmundson retained for Mantha.

Keep dreaming, even coming off a bad season Mantha has more value around the league in a contract year. If you don't believe me look what Josh Anderson got from the Habs coming off 4 points in 26 games. GMs will overlook a lot when it comes to large top 6 forwards. Edmundson has missed almost 80 games the last 2 seasons and looks like he's getting pushed off the Habs roster with their abysmal defensive depth... not a good look.

If the Habs don't need Mantha we have less than zero reason to coax them into taking him or getting absolute trash like Armia in return. 30 other teams out there and a whole season to get him going if not

• Haha
Reactions: malcb33

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Keep dreaming, even coming off a bad season Mantha has more value around the league in a contract year. If you don't believe me look what Josh Anderson got from the Habs coming off 4 points in 26 games. GMs will overlook a lot when it comes to large top 6 forwards. Edmundson has missed almost 80 games the last 2 seasons and looks like he's getting pushed off the Habs roster with their abysmal defensive depth... not a good look.

If the Habs don't need Mantha we have less than zero reason to coax them into taking him or getting absolute trash like Armia in return. 30 other teams out there and a whole season to get him going if not
Looks like we can lock that tread then

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yeah, we were f***ed by bad contract, and we had to enter a rebuild.
Speaking of which, this is exactly where Washington is going full speed too.
You talk about us throwing rocks from a glass house, how about you, bro?
How's the Caps and their amazing contracts doing?
There’s one critical difference I’m sure you won’t understand. The Capitals gave out long-term contracts at reasonable value to Star Players Who Had Won Something. The Habs currently have no Star Players and Haven’t Won Anything.

Ovechkin 4 more years, Backstrom/Oshie/Kuznetsov 3 more years each.

Compared to.

Gallagher 5 more years, Josh Anderson 5 years, Armia and Dvorak 3 more years ea.

Yeah these two scenarios couldn’t be any more different. The Caps have set themselves up for a proper rebuild after having won a Championship. The Habs are set up to suck for quite a while until the anchors are off the books.

The Capitals contracts are still contributing, the Habs contracts never did.

Last edited:

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Montreal says no. Mantha's been found out that he's just too soft and lazy. St. Louis isn't interested in coaching players with those two attirbutes.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
There’s one critical difference I’m sure you won’t understand. The Capitals gave out long-term contracts at reasonable value to Star Players Who Had Won Something. The Habs currently have no Star Players and Haven’t Won Anything.

Compared to.

Gallagher 5 more years, Josh Anderson 5 years, Armia and Dvorak 3 more years ea.

Yeah these two scenarios couldn’t be any more different. The Caps have set themselves up for a proper rebuild after having won a Championship. The Habs are set up to suck for quite a while until the anchors are off the books.

You gave out overblown contracts to aging, out of their prime by a long shot superstars.

Compare it all you want, the results are still the Caps going full speed into mediocrity until the day those contracts are Up and you can than rebuild

Our rebuild is almost already finished; your gm was a fool who's Idea was to compete for 4 years with granpas.

That's the two scenarios

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Compared to.

Gallagher will he LTIRetired before his contract is up

Anderson is a good contract considering intangibles and that middle 6 F win about 5M a year anywhere in the NHL

Again Dvorak at 4.5 for a good 3rd line C who can net in 40-50 pts, how is that overpaid?

Armia is done in 2 years...

Habs will suck next year and be in the race in 2025. We have possibly the strongest pipeline in the NHL while Caps have something like zero prospects...

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Gallagher will he LTIRetired before his contract is up

Anderson is a good contract considering intangibles and that middle 6 F win about 5M a year anywhere in the NHL

Again Dvorak at 4.5 for a good 3rd line C who can net in 40-50 pts, how is that overpaid?

Armia is done in 2 years...

Habs will suck next year and be in the race in 2025. We have possibly the strongest pipeline in the NHL while Caps have something like zero prospects...
Connor McMichael
Aliaksei Protas
Hendrix Lapierre
Ryan Chesley
Ivan Miroshnichenko
#8 2023 (Eduard Sale)

not too bas as prospect in the pipeline.

Reactions: CapsFrontOffice

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
The only prospect that would crack Habs top10 in there is Miro
Oh please, he has nothing on Ryan Poehling, Cale Fleury, Cayden Primeau, Victor Mete, Noah Juulsen, Michael McCarron, Nikita Scherbak, Louis Leblanc, Jacob De La Rose, Nathan Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi, Danny Kristo, Matt D'Agostini, Charles Hudon and the dozens of other generational habs prospects that we have to hear about nonstop for years

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Armia is nearly 30 with two years left at $3.4 million. Mantha will be 29 to start the next season. Has one more year at $5.7 million.

I think Montreal says no thanks. At least when not producing offensively Armia can kill some penalties, etc.
I think lots of Habs fans way over value their assets. I remember a few yers ago Habs fans were arguing Josh Brooks was as good as Bouchard. Then there Edmundson for a 1st. I think the fairest deal would be Montreal retains 550K a year making it equal cap Montreal is clear of it all except 550K in 1 year. Washington gets to spread the cap over 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad