Proposal: Armia for Mantha

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Armia for Mantha

Two overpaid forwards.

Two inconsistent players.

Armia better defensively.

Mantha has a better offensive upside.

Mantha is paid 5,7 mil, but is a year away from UFA.

Armia makes 3,4 mil for 2 more seasons.

MTL will have some cap space next year, Washington would take the cap space.

Seems globally fair to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Bijelo

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I’d rather have Mantha. He’ll be playing for his next contract this upcoming season so you assume he’ll be at least somewhat motivated plus he gets a fresh start with a new coach and the Caps could get value for him at the deadline with retention if it comes to that. Not really interested in the extra year for Armia.

I wouldn’t hate it but the Caps have bigger fish to fry than Mantha who would be fine as an overpaid third like winger.

Reactions: ynotcaps and BHD

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Caps don’t really do Finnish players.

It’s been about 40 years since Washington had a Finnish player consistently playing in their lineup over 20 games.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Armia is nearly 30 with two years left at $3.4 million. Mantha will be 29 to start the next season. Has one more year at $5.7 million.

I think Montreal says no thanks. At least when not producing offensively Armia can kill some penalties, etc.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I think Mantha could still come back and score 30 goals in a healthy season on the right team. He’s 6’5, 235 with all the tools to do it. I’d take a chance on him as a free agent if I were a GM with some space for him. If Toronto lets bunting walk, I’d take a flyer on a Mantha if I was GM

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If they eat 50%, then have to fill that roster spot with a player, they are likely over Armia's cap hit anyway.
Depends on what Washington would want.

Would they rather have cap space this year and next year along with a mid round pick or Armia this year and next year?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I think Mantha could still come back and score 30 goals in a healthy season on the right team. He’s 6’5, 235 with all the tools to do it. I’d take a chance on him as a free agent if I were a GM with some space for him. If Toronto lets bunting walk, I’d take a flyer on a Mantha if I was GM
He’s had all those tools since he’s been 12. That’s the problem he’s always had. He’s not suddenly going to use his size no matter where he goes. He is what he is at this point.

He can score but it comes in bunches. The problem is, if he’s not scoring, he’s not doing much else, and that comes in long stretches most of the time.

They’ll get something for him at the deadline, because he can score. Cap fans should hope he has a really good first half next season and maybe they get a 2nd for him at the deadline. Teams know who he is though, so can’t see it ever being any more than that.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Mantha is the last type of player Toronto needs. And Mantha is 29. The secret is out about him being a gravely inconsistent player who doesn’t respond to external motivating efforts. Not sure you can wave his bio stats in front of teams to blind them anymore.

Reactions: Marshall

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Maybe fair I doubt Washington wants the extra year
It pretty much boils down to this. As bad as Mantha has been he still contributes on occasion and the hope is a new coach can at least get the offense out of him. If not, he’s done after the season.

There is objectively ZERO chance Washington takes on a player who scored nearly literally HALF what Mantha scored in a clear down year for Mantha, who also has an extra year.

That’s a no for Wsh dog.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
It pretty much boils down to this. As bad as Mantha has been he still contributes on occasion and the hope is a new coach can at least get the offense out of him. If not, he’s done after the season.

There is objectively ZERO chance Washington takes on a player who scored nearly literally HALF what Mantha scored in a clear down year for Mantha, who also has an extra year.

That’s a no for Wsh dog.
Agreed

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Not a chance, much rather see if Mantha rebounds with a new coach in a contract year. He was underrated much of last year until losing the plot in the end when the whole team quit on lame duck Laviolette

Something around Mantha and Anderson could be explored though

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

That’s a no for Wsh dog.
While I agree I gotta point some stuff out.

Mantha is f***ing useless when he isn't scoring

He's had 2 down years out of 3.

He's often injured.

The only reason he has more value than Armia is because he's done a year sooner. If he had another 2 years... oof. Then again, that cap hit hurts. Like Gallagher, the benefit is that he's more likely to be hurt than playing.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
While I agree I gotta point some stuff out.

Mantha is f***ing useless when he isn't scoring

He's had 2 down years out of 3.

He's often injured.

The only reason he has more value than Armia is because he's done a year sooner. If he had another 2 years... oof. Then again, that cap hit hurts. Like Gallagher, the benefit is that he's more likely to be hurt than playing.
Mantha’s useless when he isn’t scoring, no argument. Armia is useless pretty much most of the time AND when he isn’t scoring, which is again most of the time.

The whole point literally IS that Mantha’s done in a year. The Caps cannot and will not take on bad contracts that are also continuing so they’re basically not interested in any deals with Mtl. Armia doesn’t just prevent them from making deals this season but next as well and Wsh is in no position to take on that uncertainty.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad