Armchair GM V

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Our biggest concern is definitely upgrading the blue line. We have no one who adequately handle top line minutes or assignments. Dekeyser's the closest thing we have in that regard, but he struggles mightily at contributing to the offensive transition of the game.

The other thing, unfortunately, is we just have to let Larkin, AA, Mantha, and Svech develop. They seem to be the next generation of Wings.

However, Holland definitely needs to go from the 30th most active GM in the league to at least the 25th most active. This does not mean signing depth players to lifetime contracts, however.

1. Upgrade the defense by almost any means necessary
2. Let kids grow and develop
3. Stop signing players to terrible contracts.
4. ????
5. Success.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Our biggest concern is definitely upgrading the blue line. We have no one who adequately handle top line minutes or assignments. Dekeyser's the closest thing we have in that regard, but he struggles mightily at contributing to the offensive transition of the game.

The other thing, unfortunately, is we just have to let Larkin, AA, Mantha, and Svech develop. They seem to be the next generation of Wings.

However, Holland definitely needs to go from the 30th most active GM in the league to at least the 25th most active. This does not mean signing depth players to lifetime contracts, however.

1. Upgrade the defense by almost any means necessary
2. Let kids grow and develop
3. Stop signing players to terrible contracts.
4. ????
5. Success.

How many depth players has he signed to lifetime contracts? Abdelkader isn't a depth player on this team despite what you want to believe.

Upgrading the defense in one offseason is easier said than done. It's something that is built over time. Looking at the list of available ones in UFA doesn't exactly thrill me, either. I could see Alex Goligoski being a target (he's also from Michigan), but I don't consider him a long-term option. He'll be 31. Maybe Jason Demers? I think Dallas resigns him. Trying to find a top 4 defenseman through trade means waiving bye bye to players like Mantha and Svechnikov.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/defenseman/

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
How many depth players has he signed to lifetime contracts? Abdelkader isn't a depth player on this team despite what you want to believe.

I don't want to debate semantics, but a depth player for the purpose of this discussion would be a player who isn't a top line/pairing player. Abdelkader is a middle 6 tweener. And as far as terrible contracts that were clearly terrible on the outset? This is well trodden territory, but Howard, Ericsson, and Abdelkader were all clearly givenawful contracts. As far as contracts that were gambles and not immediately awful? Franzen, Weiss, and Kindl.(Which I don't condemn Holland for. I thought all three of those contracts were fine/good upon their signings, but still.)

Upgrading the defense in one offseason is easier said than done. It's something that is built over time. Looking at the list of available ones in UFA doesn't exactly thrill me, either. I could see Alex Goligoski being a target (he's also from Michigan), but I don't consider him a long-term option. He'll be 31. Maybe Jason Demers? I think Dallas resigns him. Trying to find a top 4 defenseman through trade means waiving bye bye to players like Mantha and Svechnikov.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/defenseman/

This has been something that needed to be addressed for five years though. Competitors who have also needed to address their blue lines have done so in that span. In some respects, it wasn't Holland's fault: Suter, summer of 2014, etc. But still, this is his job, and he's had five years to upgrade this decaying blue line.

I did mention in my post that the blue line should be upgraded by almost any means necessary, if that means trading a valuable prospect, that should be heavily considered.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Trade whoever. I don't care. Hold onto Larkin. Deal everyone else. They're all trash.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What? Dallas? Ottawa?

yes those teams have improved their bluelines

heck if we really look at it starting 2 years before lidstrom retired(or the time KH should have been preparing for life post lidstrom on the blueline) some of those teams have improved alot

dallas drafted klinberg in 2010 131st OA
carolina drafted faulk in 2010 37th OA

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Dallas has traded for Goligoski, Demers, and Oduya in the recent past.

The Ottawa reference has to be in regards to Phaneuf.

If that's called addressing your blue line we have done that

Because nobody you listed is good. Phanuef is probably the only one that's decent and that isn't adressing your blueline :laugh::laugh::laugh:

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
If that's called addressing your blue line we have done that

Because nobody you listed is good. Phanuef is probably the only one that's decent and that isn't adressing your blueline :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I disagree, any one of those players would be an upgrade for Detroits top 4. They aren't setting the league on fire but they all look more than competent on the 2nd pairing.

Excluding Dekeyser and Green the entire Detroit defense should be strapped to a rocket and shot to the moon.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I disagree, any one of those players would be an upgrade for Detroits top 4. They aren't setting the league on fire but they all look more than competent on the 2nd pairing.

Excluding Dekeyser and Green the entire Detroit defense should be strapped to a rocket and shot to the moon.

Id take them over Ericsson. But I would much rather get a top 2 dman. That pretty much makes our dfence above average

Kronwall is good with less ice time

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
You really think Johnny Oduya would make the Red Wings a better team?

I don't think he would be the difference in making the playoffs, but I would rather see him on the 2nd pairing than Ericsson.

Disclaimer: I have been so disgusted with the Wings dmen this season that I am probably a little jaded.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
You really think Johnny Oduya would make the Red Wings a better team?
You stay downplaying other players in the league while you prop up the utter mediocrity that we have on this roster. You do this time and time again. Would Oduya bring a Cup or ensure a playoff run...no. Is he an elite d-man? No. Does he bring abilities (skating ability, offensive instincts) that no other d-man on this team possess? Absolutely. Would he be a welcome addition? Hell yes.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You stay downplaying other players in the league while you prop up the utter mediocrity that we have on this roster. You do this time and time again. Would Oduya bring a Cup or ensure a playoff run...no. Is he an elite d-man? No. Does he bring abilities (skating ability, offensive instincts) that no other d-man on this team possess? Absolutely. Would he be a welcome addition? Hell yes.

And if he was here instead of Ericsson, would you ***** and moan that we have Johnny Oduya on our roster instead of some other player? Yes!

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
And if he was here instead of Ericsson, would you ***** and moan that we have Johnny Oduya on our roster instead of some other player? Yes!
Do you realize much of the issue many of us have with this roster and the blue line in particular is the redundancy of the players? Ericsson, Quincey, Marchenko, DD are more or less the same player with varying degrees of one attribute or another...basically "stay at home" guys with little to no skill or offensive instincts. So if Odyua was providing ANYTHING in terms of giving this team the ability to have a transition game or using his skating to help offensively I'd have much less to complain about than somebody like Ericsson who provides nothing in terms of skill or offensive support along with not being reliable or consistent in his own zone.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Craig Custance ranked every NHL team by age of core group and Detroit came in at 29th. We beat the Sharks!!!!!!!!

This is the list he used that comprised of Detroit's core.

Datsyuk
Larkin
Nyquist
Z
Mrazek
Kronwall

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
Craig Custance ranked every NHL team by age of core group and Detroit came in at 29th. We beat the Sharks!!!!!!!!

This is the list he used that comprised of Detroit's core.

Datsyuk
Larkin
Nyquist
Z
Mrazek
Kronwall

In all fairness, he should have Dekeyser, Green, Tatar & maybe Sheahan on that core list.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
In all fairness, he should have Dekeyser, Green, Tatar & maybe Sheahan on that core list.

Since Ken Holland trades 2 days in a year, how about we tarnish our reputation a bit and offer sheet some guys? Here's some targets:

• Nikita Kucherov (if Stamkos resigns): Guy has the most points at Tampa (54 in 65). If Stamkos is resigned, TBL is entering cap hell. I'm fine with 7m AAV - which would return 1,2,3 round picks. It's unlikely that we ever trade with divisional rival who has Yzerman as their GM, so no hard feelings. We're also probably one of the better teams that can offer him that money. Problem - convince Kucherov he needs money more than a cup.
  • Jacob Trouba: Guy was rumoured to want more money than Jets are willing to offer - perfect target for offer sheet. He has 17 points in 66 games, so he's no better at offense than our current D, but he's young and has potential. Problem - his AAV. You can't make it too small because Jets would match and you can't make it too big because we need to resign DDK who is better right now - hard to justify giving him less than Trouba in negotiations.
  • Lindholm/Vatanen: Anaheim probably can't fit both under the cap. Lindholm has 1st pairing potential, Vatanen has points - both of the things our defence lacks. Problem - Anaheim will probably trade Vatanen and match whatever we offer for Lindholm so chances of making it work are bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad