Speculation: Armchair GM Thread VIII - We've Tried Nothing! And we have all kinds of ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
This team needs another finisher or two in the worst way

2EFD3CFD-2D5B-43E9-B022-9D81A10F3AC1.jpeg

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
This team needs another finisher or two in the worst way

-snip-

In the past 20 games:

tkVQetL.png

wbcZuOZ.png

I think it's worth mentioning (given the sample size) the Kings have a higher CF% than the flames over their last 20 games.

It's imperative that we win the pacific so we can play the Blues instead of a good team.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Copp, and Rakell.

Monahan + first + for Hertl (7x7)

Gaudreau-Lindy-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Hertl-Rakell
Copp-Backlund-Coleman
Lucic-Ruzicka-Dube

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I very much want Giroux but I suspect the price tag could be nearing what the Flames rumored offers for Eichel were.

Honestly, I have a hard time seeing G or Hertl waiving for Calgary. It sucks, but I sort of have that gut feeling.

No point spending firsts, prospects and young players for Giroux if he’d only be here for 3-4 months.

Reactions: Janks and Nanuuk

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’m fine with giving up our first but I like our top 4 prospects. I was more kidding about adding 3 UFAs trade. I do think players like Copp, Hertl and Rakell just fit the Sutter system best. I like our blueline for the playoffs. We need depth up front. Call up Phillips and trade Copp

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Honestly, I have a hard time seeing G or Hertl waiving for Calgary. It sucks, but I sort of have that gut feeling.

No point spending firsts, prospects and young players for Giroux if he’d only be here for 3-4 months.

If us moving prospects and or picks can convince Gaudreau that we are trying to actually win a cup and get him re-signed then I think we have to do it. If he wants to leave then I'd agree with you but we need to start selling.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I know. And at age 34 I don't think I'd want him here for longer than that.

Flames deadline acquisitions will be a depth defenseman over 200 lbs and calling up Phillips / Pelletier to eat popcorn.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This team will add someone up front. I think Rakell makes sense and he’s a good player, but he’s not going to suddenly make us a contender. This team needs an impact C and dman.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Bond

May 10, 2012
Mony/Mani, Zary, Valimaki for Scheifele

Hanifin + Dube + 1st for Chych
Coyotes want futures, Hanifin and Dube are useless to them.

Maybe that gets Scheifele but only if the Jets trade him cause he isn't a fit on the team.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I dunno I guess he was fine? Played well for a 4 million dollar goalie. He was only here 2 years, if half your results are total crap then you weren't that great. There's a reason he didn't get another NHL job.

I will say Hartley's systems were demanding for a goalie definitely, much more so than Sutter's. Markstrom needs 5 more Ws to surpass Hiller's total that season of 26 in 52 starts. His GAA, SV%, and SO totals are all better than Hiller's were.
I didnt say their overall time was amazing, i said hiller's first year was great and i think its better than markstrom this year. The team was getting shelled the comeback kids year. russell-wideman and engelland-who ever was just getting hemmed in all night. .918 save percentagr is impressive af considering we were supposed to be one of the worst team in the league that year.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I didnt say their overall time was amazing, i said hiller's first year was great and i think its better than markstrom this year. The team was getting shelled the comeback kids year. russell-wideman and engelland-who ever was just getting hemmed in all night. .918 save percentagr is impressive af considering we were supposed to be one of the worst team in the league that year.

Hiller also only played 52 games that year Markstrom is on pace for about 65. Give Markstrom that much more time off and his numbers would improve as well its not a 1 to 1 comparison.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Hdca is a pretty useless stat for goalies imo. Like you can give up 100 high danger chances to Ritchie and he ain't scoring conversely you can give 1 to Draisaitl and he probably going to score

At the end of the day Markstrom has played more than almost all goalies and is still top 10 in both major categories and has given us a chance to win basically every night with little rest
Lets be real, ritchie wont have100 hdcf in hes career lol, and its bafflingly hes still playing. But regardless, unless we somehow so unique and only allowing hdca to elite players which def isnt the case, Markstrom is still facing some of the lowest quality shots in the league. It would then make sense that any decent goalie should be putting up some good numbers. Tbh ive barely seen any drop in ability to win when we start either vlad or markstrom.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Hiller also only played 52 games that year Markstrom is on pace for about 65. Give Markstrom that much more time off and his numbers would improve as well its not a 1 to 1 comparison.
Absolutely agreed vlad needs to play more. All these weird breaks has probably made it easier to start markstrom more, but vlad better be starting more with our stretch coming up.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Coyotes want futures, Hanifin and Dube are useless to them.

Maybe that gets Scheifele but only if the Jets trade him cause he isn't a fit on the team.

Well they are getting a 1st. I also don’t think any other team could offer up a dman of Hanifin’s caliber.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Well they are getting a 1st. I also don’t think any other team could offer up a dman of Hanifin’s caliber.
Why'd they want Hanifin in general though? Flames don't have the futures to compete with a lot of teams.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Why'd they want Hanifin in general though? Flames don't have the futures to compete with a lot of teams.

They want futures to rebuild. They need to hit the cap floor and they are aiming to sell right now at a premium.

Flames can offer Hanifin, but I think the Coyotes don't necessarily need to keep him. It's the value that the Flame can offer, and if you bring in a 3rd team, you can send Hanifin that way and the futures from the third team to Arizona.

For instance, I suggested a Flames/STL and Ari trade before where the Blues might think that Chychrun is too much of a luxury, but Hanifin is what they need (JBo replacement). STL needs a top 4 LD but they don't need a Porche, just a reliable fully loaded Honda. So, Flames pay the difference to upgrade Hanifin to Chychrun and Blues buy Hanifin and send the futures to the Yotes which is what they need.

Hiller fell apart due to vertigo kinda returning IIRC. I think at the time Baertschi also said there was a lot of Swiss related home sickness going on (especially for him) and all 3 Swiss guys were excited to get a chance to chat in their native language. I think it was Diaz, Barts and Hiller being the Swiss players and even then Barts said they spoke in different Swiss dialects (albeit it was close enough).

D core was:

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Diaz - Eggs
Smid (if not injured)/TSpoon/Potter etc.

Everyone was basically hemmed in except for the Gio-Brodie pairing IIRC. We had a ton of slow d first dmen. We were also undersized. That's why we had to stretch pass to address this major Achilles heel of our d corps in that era of the Flames IIRC.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
They want futures to rebuild. They need to hit the cap floor and they are aiming to sell right now at a premium.

Flames can offer Hanifin, but I think the Coyotes don't necessarily need to keep him. It's the value that the Flame can offer, and if you bring in a 3rd team, you can send Hanifin that way and the futures from the third team to Arizona.

For instance, I suggested a Flames/STL and Ari trade before where the Blues might think that Chychrun is too much of a luxury, but Hanifin is what they need (JBo replacement). STL needs a top 4 LD but they don't need a Porche, just a reliable fully loaded Honda. So, Flames pay the difference to upgrade Hanifin to Chychrun and Blues buy Hanifin and send the futures to the Yotes which is what they need.

Hiller fell apart due to vertigo kinda returning IIRC. I think at the time Baertschi also said there was a lot of Swiss related home sickness going on (especially for him) and all 3 Swiss guys were excited to get a chance to chat in their native language. I think it was Diaz, Barts and Hiller being the Swiss players and even then Barts said they spoke in different Swiss dialects (albeit it was close enough).

D core was:

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Diaz - Eggs
Smid (if not injured)/TSpoon/Potter etc.

Everyone was basically hemmed in except for the Gio-Brodie pairing IIRC. We had a ton of slow d first dmen. We were also undersized. That's why we had to stretch pass to address this major Achilles heel of our d corps in that era of the Flames IIRC.
Jesus rafa diaz, now that's a name I haven't heard forever. It was honestly a miracle we made to round 2 with that D core, Gio went down in feb too. Brodie op carried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad