Speculation: Armchair GM Thread VIII - We've Tried Nothing! And we have all kinds of ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
No Lucic's NMC expires on June 30, 2022.

And ya Backlund could prevent a trade too, but more likely we could find a suitor for him than Lucic because he's still valuable to contending teams and not just bottom feeders that are trying to hit cap floor. I'd rather move Lucic too but would consider moving Backlund if it comes down to it.

2022-23M-NTC, NMC

NM and NT are two distinct clauses

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Is Gudbranson gonna be signed for next season because Flames have no depth at RD? Quickly looking it's gonna be him or some other UFA for the third pair.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I think if Gudbranson signs a 3 years, 1.75 per, that’s the most the Flames can offer.
we say that...i see Sutter and Treliving saying hey he is not as bad as everyone says and he is worth $4M over 5 yrs forgetting that he was signed as a 3rd pair dman and is a good 3rd pair dman.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Does anyone have any thoughts on the team chemistry at the moment? I posted this in the Trade Rumours thread about contracts, but I'm curious about how you all feel about the following:

"I think people are overestimating people wanting to leave Calgary. I'm not in the locker room and neither is anyone else here, but I think this is the most 'together' the team has ever felt from a fan perspective (esp thinking of the Jarnkrok trade). I think the team is entirely onboard, love Sutter, and it would be a shame for them to split off the trajectory of the team rather than try to stay while they can compete. Unless these players can move to a team who is more likely to make a cup run, I don't think they end up getting moved. The idea of 'we can surround you with even better if we have more cap space' is surely enticing.

I'm obviously biased, but this team has been rejuvenated and there is immense value in sticking with a cohesive unit that you like to play with and want to win with.

Trade Lucic, put Monahan on LTIR and bring him back for next year's playoffs lol"

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
In the off season:
Tkachuk
for
Kyrou
Kostin
Scandella (Just to balance cap, and he'd be an upgrade over Badorov and any reasonable LHD we can get in free agency).
1st round pick.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
If push comes to shove id try to move mangi Ottawa or something for a top 5-10 pick and hope Pelletier cant replace most of hes 50+ pts. Not trading tkachuk to STL unless thomas++ is involved, dudes a 100 pt player

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I personally think a Kyrou+ for Tkachuk trade makes a lot of sense. Depending on Tkachuk salary demands.

I just don’t see him as a 10 million dollar player

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think a couple cap-saving measures worth considering is letting Gudbranson walk and replacing him with Gio at 1x~1-1.25 and trading Valimaki for picks

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Does anyone have any thoughts on the team chemistry at the moment? I posted this in the Trade Rumours thread about contracts, but I'm curious about how you all feel about the following:

"I think people are overestimating people wanting to leave Calgary. I'm not in the locker room and neither is anyone else here, but I think this is the most 'together' the team has ever felt from a fan perspective (esp thinking of the Jarnkrok trade). I think the team is entirely onboard, love Sutter, and it would be a shame for them to split off the trajectory of the team rather than try to stay while they can compete. Unless these players can move to a team who is more likely to make a cup run, I don't think they end up getting moved. The idea of 'we can surround you with even better if we have more cap space' is surely enticing.

I'm obviously biased, but this team has been rejuvenated and there is immense value in sticking with a cohesive unit that you like to play with and want to win with.

Trade Lucic, put Monahan on LTIR and bring him back for next year's playoffs lol"
Looch and his family love it here and I can see him preferring to retire and stay rather than relocating one more time. But as a Flames fan, I hope he plays here next year and continues to contribute to this club.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
In the off season:
Tkachuk
for
Kyrou
Kostin
Scandella (Just to balance cap, and he'd be an upgrade over Badorov and any reasonable LHD we can get in free agency).
1st round pick.

If Tkachuk is going to STL, there's no way I'm not asking for Thomas. If we need to add a top 4 LD to make that discussion go through and make the deal bigger... then that's what I'd do.

No idea on the balancer pieces, but something like this maybe?

Tkachuk + Hanifin + Monahan

Thomas + Kyrou + Tarasenko

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Tkachuk is going to STL, there's no way I'm not asking for Thomas. If we need to add a top 4 LD to make that discussion go through and make the deal bigger... then that's what I'd do.

No idea on the balancer pieces, but something like this maybe?

Tkachuk + Hanifin + Monahan

Thomas + Kyrou + Tarasenko

Our LHD is already not very good if either one of Hanifin or Kylington goes down, if Hanifin goes anywhere it's to upgrade on LHD.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Yea as a fan I can't say I want him anywhere near playing in this team next year
Looch hasn't been that bad for us this year at all. It is his salary that sticks in everyone's craw.

So if he plays next year I'll be grinding my teeth like everyone else during a lot of games and cheering like crazy when he makes a big hit, scores, or fights.

Reactions: Tofveve

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Looch hasn't been that bad for us this year at all. It is his salary that sticks in everyone's craw.

So if he plays next year I'll be grinding my teeth like everyone else during a lot of games and cheering like crazy when he makes a big hit, scores, or fights.
He’s had like 2 pts in his last 25 games. His puck handling isn’t really nhl caliber anymore.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

You can find a guy making league minimum that is atleast as effective if not more. Beyond being vastly overpaid he isn't an effective nhler anymore

Reactions: deleted user

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
You can find a guy making league minimum that is atleast as effective if not more. Beyond being vastly overpaid he isn't an effective nhler anymore
Oh he is effective alright. And a leader in the room. It is not his fault that he signed a big contract in good faith and is now seeing his skill on the wane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad