Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Version 974. Or, the boulevard of broken dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I honestly don't think there are any feasible upgrades on Elliott as we go into the offseason. All of the other "experienced goalies" are lateral moves imo. Best we can hope for is that we try to make a play for Grubauer and he steals the starter role

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I honestly don't think there are any feasible upgrades on Elliott as we go into the offseason. All of the other "experienced goalies" are lateral moves imo. Best we can hope for is that we try to make a play for Grubauer and he steals the starter role

You don't think bringing in an actual starter is an upgrade on a guy who was basically being tried out for a full-time starter gig as opposed to being part of a tandem?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
You don't think bringing in an actual starter is an upgrade on a guy who was basically being tried out for a full-time starter gig as opposed to being part of a tandem?

The only "actual starters" available are really questionable guys (other than Bishop). Fleury has his question marks, Halak has been waived in the past year, Lehtonen/Niemi aren't that great.

Elliott is just as safe of a bet as anyone out there imo.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Halak has been waived in the past year

Halak being waived was a dumb move. It came like a month after he single-handedly carried team Europe to the championship game of the world cup.

The politics behind it (threeheaded goalie monster on the Isle) had more to do with it than Halak not being the best goalie in that organization.

Halak is probably a better option than Bishop.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I would like a Grubauer + Elliot tandem for next season. So when/if Elliot falters Grubauer is there to push him. Elliot had a very successful second half and I want to believe the first half was a new team and we system, forgetting the playoffs. I'm not ready to give up on him and I don't think a Bishop or Fluery is an upgrade necessarily, especially for what they might cost.
But the flames do need a find a way to find a Talbot, or a Jones.
Gillies is probably 2 seasons away from this yet. Another full one in the AHL.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
What do you guys think it would take to get Craig Smith out of Nashville? He'd be a great fit with either monahan or Bennett and his contract is reasonable

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think we'll get a younger goalie (Pickard, Grubaeur or Korpisalo) and a veteran goalie (Halak, Johnson or Fleury). I don't see the Flames re-signing Elliot after his playoffs partially due to the conditional pick we'd have to give up.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think we'll get a younger goalie (Pickard, Grubaeur or Korpisalo) and a veteran goalie (Halak, Johnson or Fleury). I don't see the Flames re-signing Elliot after his playoffs partially due to the conditional pick we'd have to give up.

Agreed. If no pick involved, I think we'd consider re-signing Elliott. But since that factor is there, we'd probably choose Johnson.

Pickard/Johnson seems like a tandem we'd run. I think we consider bringing in a familiar face back vs completely two new guys.

That being said, I'm starting to think we trade with Vegas vs other teams. Acquiring said players from those teams involve needing to acquire a player that meets criteria. This means...

1. I'm guessing Vegas keeps the best young guy they can acquire (ie: Korpisalo), trades the extra young guy, signs a vet to platoon with as the other young goalie wouldn't make it to the minors and two super young guys on G is just asking for trouble. Sign a guy like Miller, Elliott, Halak whoever or acquire one of the two Dallas G or MAF.

2. I'm guessing Grubauer is not claimed by Vegas (D men would be more intriguing to acquire), Washington happy to keep Grubauer because they'll be dealing with a contract headache, so price to acquire him not worth it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
People forgot quickly. Elliott was horrible to start the season. Totally unprepared

He was garbage in 3 of the 4 playoff games. Has anybody ever won a cup with bad goalie?

I'd give Elliott 1M to come back as a back up. That's it. I dont ever want to depend on him. He was on his contract year and choked when it counts. How can you expect him to perform with a brand new contract?

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Agreed. If no pick involved, I think we'd consider re-signing Elliott. But since that factor is there, we'd probably choose Johnson.

Pickard/Johnson seems like a tandem we'd run. I think we consider bringing in a familiar face back vs completely two new guys.

That being said, I'm starting to think we trade with Vegas vs other teams. Acquiring said players from those teams involve needing to acquire a player that meets criteria. This means...

1. I'm guessing Vegas keeps the best young guy they can acquire (ie: Korpisalo), trades the extra young guy, signs a vet to platoon with as the other young goalie wouldn't make it to the minors and two super young guys on G is just asking for trouble. Sign a guy like Miller, Elliott, Halak whoever or acquire one of the two Dallas G or MAF.

2. I'm guessing Grubauer is not claimed by Vegas (D men would be more intriguing to acquire), Washington happy to keep Grubauer because they'll be dealing with a contract headache, so price to acquire him not worth it.

Regarding point 2: It's quite likely that Grubauer is very much a part of that contract/cap headache. If it comes down to moving Grubauer for assets versus not being able to sign Alzner, Kuznetsov, Oshie, Burakhovsky and company, I'm sure they take what they can get for their backup and use the money he'd get on a raise to keep a key part of their team who will actually play on a consistent basis.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The value of Elliott and Johnson is much greater than a 3rd round pick. I like Johnson and all, but let's not be blind here. Elliott is a significantly better goaltender.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
The pick is a third. For a, at worst, 1B goalie. I'm not understanding the fuss. Fleury is not the answer here and Bishop was quite poor this year.

I don't believe Elliot is the answer but he did have a good stretch. Just need a guy behind him that can pick up the slack whenever needed and Johnson was only capable of that some of the time.

Personally I wouldn't be opposed to entering the season with this exact tandem we had this past year if we can't get a Grubauer or other young goalie ready to make the jump.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
When I look at the UFA list of goalies, I don't want any of them and I wouldn't like to see the Flames pull off a trade to get an established starter and end up giving up anything significant. The Flames only need a goalie to be a starter and placefiller for about 2 seasons. Hopefully After that, someone internally will be ready to take the reigns. The thing is, Elliott could be fit in this timeline perfectly and could be had to a reasonable amount and term. The Flames could sign him for what he probably had for a contract last season or a marginal raise and give him a 2 year deal. I really think that he's going to have something to prove next season and will be playing with a chip on his shoulder. I would like to see Elliott get a second chance with the Flames because I think it could turn out a whole lot better than it ended this season.

As for Bishop, if he's wanting anywhere near the rumoured ask when the Flames inquired about him last off season, No thanks. I want no part of paying a guy to take up huge cap space and be around the the next 6 or 7 seasons who's age doesn't fit with the core group of this team.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
One goalie we should look at being a backup is Anders Nilsson. He had pretty impressive stats on a terrible Buffalo team this year.

Last edited:

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Bringing in any new goalie, unless super stud (which isnt available) would just be a repeat of this past season beginning. It would be a disaster!
This team is not built as a confident super force and a question mark in goal (again) would just lead to a shaky start.

There has never been a case where a new mid level goalie joins a building team and takes off.

Signing Elliott as the starter would be the smartest decision this team could make. He proved himself a starter during the season and building on that would be the right way to go.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
The more I think about it, the more rolling with a young guy and experienced guy next year seems like the right way to go about things.

Going with stopgaps while hoping and praying one of our prospects will become the guy just seems like a way to be having these discussions year after year.

Pony up for a Grubauer or someone of that type. While it's still a relatively big question mark, at least there is an NHL sample size to work with.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Regarding point 2: It's quite likely that Grubauer is very much a part of that contract/cap headache. If it comes down to moving Grubauer for assets versus not being able to sign Alzner, Kuznetsov, Oshie, Burakhovsky and company, I'm sure they take what they can get for their backup and use the money he'd get on a raise to keep a key part of their team who will actually play on a consistent basis.

Yes/No.

Moving Grubauer means they have to acquire another player to be backup and to expose. An extra two steps in trades on top of a plethora of guys to sign. Samsonov isn't in NA yet and Washington's other goalies aren't backup calibre yet IIRC. Moving Grubauer adds more work to Washington's side.

Sure we could send McCollum the other way, but then we'd have to sign Chad so we have exposure fodder. That's weird.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
If the Flames trade for a younger goalie it's probably going to be a deal with Vegas after that goalie is picked in the draft.

For example:

Fleury waives, and they take him
Grubauer exposed, and they take him
Pickard exposed, and they take him

That's just 3, they probably end up with a couple more even.

They can't keep all three of those guys (unless they keep three goalies up all season) because they'd lose Grubauer or Pickard on waivers easily trying to send them down.

They'd need to trade one, and likely for picks/prospects because in a soft goalie market they aren't likely to get a top 6 forward, or top pairing Dman for them.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Jets fans seem to overall like Paul Postma as a #5-6 guy. He's a UFA. So with that in mind he's a very conservative off season run at things -

Re-sign: Stone, Versteeg, Johnson
UFA signings: Ben Bishop (4 yrs, $25 mil, dollars for term deal), Postma
Expansion: Lose Chiasson
Promotions: Kulak, Jankowski

Bishop Johnson

Hamilton/Gio
Stone/Brodie
Postma/Kulak
Bartowski

Gaudreau-Monohan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg
Frolik-Backlund-Lazar
Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer
F.Hamilton, Bouma

I projected that lineup to be around $67 million cap. So some room to upgrade somewhere in UFA or expansion draft trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad