Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Post your terrible ideas here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The largest concern Flames fans should have is the lack of AHL graduates in the last 3 years.

Zero D-men have moved up to join the club full time.
Neither Hathaway or Freddie have taken a full-time spot as forwards.

Youth should be filling the 5/6 slots in the d-core and the young forwards should be occupying regular spots in the bottom six and moving up the depth chart as they progress.

Many will state these "prospects" haven't shown what is needed to make the line-up but when you look at the underlying numbers both T-spoon and Kulak have had better numbers than Wideman.

Rather than playing has beens like Bollig, Bouma, or even Stajan for that matter it would be wiser for the team to be nurturing its youth.

Calgary only needs to sign a #4 d-man and a starting goalie for the upcoming season. Any combination of T-Spoon, Kulak, Andersson, and Kylington needs to be afforded the opportunity to fill the bottom spots.

Janko, Klimchuck, Prybil and Shinkaruk should be vying for roster spots and finally Gillies should be given a shot to back-up the starter.

Part of the malaise in the development of the younger players is they see no signs that they could be occupying slots on the big club.

Next Treliving needs to overhaul the way these players in the AHL are developed. Calgary needs development in the minors like Chicago and Toronto.

I think we could see a couple of graduates out of this upcoming training camp.

Kulak is probably ready for a full time role on the bottom pair. Klimchuk was very close to making the team out of camp, and if I recall Treliving only sent him down so he'd play regularly instead of sharing a box of popcorn with Freddie.

Shinkaruk and/or Vey should have had the role Versteeg played but just couldn't take the job.

Gillies might see backup duties (hee hee duties) if the Flames get a 60 start goalie.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I wonder if there is any way Vegas signs Versteeg in the UFA window they get prior to the expansion draft?

If I was them I'd rather him over any other forward they can choose from our list of exposed players, and although Kulak might be a good choice they will have a ton of fairly decent 4-7 NHL Dmen to pick from.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Did you not read that I said some value in case we wanted to tank for Dahlin?

So by dealing Monahan for that return allows the team to tank? Honestly, the more I read of your posts the more I wonder if you know anything about this team. You do realize how much talent this team has, right? They are not one trade away from tanking. And for what? You're certain that Dahlin is the answer? And who do you build around with him?

(And for that matter shoot as well).

And here we go again with the handedness.

I think Skjei has a bright future and will grow quite a bit still. Kreider makes us bigger and tougher. If we could somehow bring in someone like Johnson for the RW role. I feel we have more balanced 1st line. I'm not sold on Gaudreau in the post season, he can put up a few points. But in general, come playoffs, his size makes him fairly ineffective. Small sample size obviously and against one, very large, team. So it's a risk, but Gaudreau comes off as a chicken **** to me. In that series, he was never first to the puck when he knew he'd get hit.

I don't disagree that Skjei has a bright future as a 2nd pairing guy, just like Kylington does. We already have our top 3 d set, we only need one more to fill it out and there are FAs that can do that.

Sure, Kreider makes us bigger and tougher, and takes away the offensive catalyst. So I say again, who drives the offence when Gaudreau is gone? It won't be anyone on the current roster or Kreider. You bring in a Kreider type (ala Maroon in Edmonton) to be that guy on Gaudreau's wing, you don't just deal him away. Do you know how many Gaudreau's there are in the NHL? At the first sign of adversity you don't drop him. That's how the Flames old management used to do things.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The largest concern Flames fans should have is the lack of AHL graduates in the last 3 years.

This is only the case for a) development and b) vets that had to play instead. With some of the expiring contracts you are sure to see that change. There are plenty of pieces on the farm that are NHL ready, they just need a shot. Klimchuk, Jankowski, Gillies, Kulak, Wotherspoon, etc.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I don't disagree that Skjei has a bright future as a 2nd pairing guy, just like Kylington does. We already have our top 3 d set, we only need one more to fill it out and there are FAs that can do that.

Sure, Kreider makes us bigger and tougher, and takes away the offensive catalyst. So I say again, who drives the offence when Gaudreau is gone? It won't be anyone on the current roster or Kreider. You bring in a Kreider type (ala Maroon in Edmonton) to be that guy on Gaudreau's wing, you don't just deal him away. Do you know how many Gaudreau's there are in the NHL? At the first sign of adversity you don't drop him. That's how the Flames old management used to do things.

I think if you find a suitable RW for the top line, with Kreider and Monahan you'll be fine. There is no denying Gaudreau's regular season success. But just watch every year what happens in the playoffs in all of the series matchups. I doubt he'll find success in the post season as he'll simply get knocked around too much. You can point to guys like P. Kane and say there is your analogy. But, even Kane looks like a giant compared to Gaudreau.

Also, if Skjei does in fact turn into a great top 3 dman, which I can easily see at this point, it allows you to look at Gio as being expendable at sometime in the near future. This could give us another great trading chip to bring in a top line talent. Hopefully one who isn't 5'6 and 150 pounds.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
This is only the case for a) development and b) vets that had to play instead. With some of the expiring contracts you are sure to see that change. There are plenty of pieces on the farm that are NHL ready, they just need a shot. Klimchuk, Jankowski, Gillies, Kulak, Wotherspoon, etc.

I think the fact we've had Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett and Tkachuk all make the squad as rookies bypassing the AHL is a big reason for that as well.
There are only so many rookies you can have on a roster at a time. You'd have thought a Dman would have taken a spot in that time though.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Live photo of RainierBeat when posting in this thread

2b6d8a389451debee7dc8ffade49261a90d44c3be21879f109d4cfbbe36a5631.jpg

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Bartkowski would make for an acceptable popcorn eating 7th defenceman but given Guluztan's fanboyism of absolutely awful depth (although every coach seems to have this problem), Treliving might just have to waive him.

No way Engelland should be brought back in any capacity. He's not a 15+ minute defencemen; he's not capable of defending against elite talent. He's 35 but he's still going to want a multi-year contract and it would be silly of Calgary to assume that risk. If the Flames can't do better than Bartkowski-Engelland next season there's something very wrong here.

Ideally the Flames would stop thinking they're the smartest guys in the room and start adopting practices that other organizations have shown to work, i.e., actually graduating deserving prospects, pairing the rookie with all star number one defenceman instead of the old, declining, all around terrible veteran and expecting miracles.

Brodie-Stone
Giordano-Andersson
Kulak/Wotherspoon-Hamilton
Wotherspoon/Kulak

If everyone lives up to their potential, that's Nashville/Anaheim deep and it plays to Guluztan's "roll the lines" mentality. Brodie and Stone take the hard matches a la the Vlasic/Hjalmarsson pairings in San Jose/Chicago leaving the other two with easier minutes. And if Giordano is really the number one defenceman everything thinks he is, he shouldn't have a problem playing with a highly skilled rookie and still excelling.

Frankly, this is the only way I can see the Flames graduating two young defencemen at the same time. Because there's no way they give an entire pairing to "unproven" players; they just don't have enough dry pants for that.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think the fact we've had Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett and Tkachuk all make the squad as rookies bypassing the AHL is a big reason for that as well.
There are only so many rookies you can have on a roster at a time. You'd have thought a Dman would have taken a spot in that time though.

Well, Brodie! His first full time NHL season was a year before Monahan's rookie season.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sigh... I had fury about this idea previously and would have rejected it without hesitation, but I really don't know anymore about 1RW options... Iggy as 1RW.

Thoughts:
- Optics of Iggy. Some fans want him back, some loathe him. (I am neither, just want best option of the average of cap/fit/shot/protection and chemistry). Some think he will be a distraction.

- Iggy was one of the few with heart on the Kings roster and punched faces when things got chippy. He took on Eggs for fricks sake. He could enforce and protect Johnny, but I don't know if his style (due to age) is a good fit anymore.

- Iggy is slow. But so was Hudler. Speed shouldn't (?) be an issue. Handedness is a thing. Might be a good PP spec.

- Might be better options than Iggy.

- Iggy might sign for Versteeg money, but I wouldn't count on it.

- Iggy probably would be problematic on the 1RW. Overplayed etc. He can't handle regular top line duties anymore (perceived).

- Bringing in Iggy blocks youth by slotting guys like Ferland back down.

Iggy cannot be any worse than someone Chiasson on the top line, could he?

And regarding the Amonte comments previously, Coyle is a cousin of Amonte... I think someone floated the idea of Bennett for Coyle a while back and it seemed 50/50 from both fan bases.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Iggy is good but he's definitely not #1RW material anymore.

Now would I want him in the bottom 6 instead of a Chiasson or Lazar? Chiasson is probably an all-round better player, but Iginla looks like Toews where you compare their intangibles. I still don't really understand why Lazar was acquired, and Iginla is probably a better hockey player than him, but Lazar has upside and needs somewhere to play.

RW's next year are pretty set imo, between Ferland, Brouwer, Frolik, Lazar, Hathaway, and maybe Chiasson and Versteeg. I don't know if there is room for a depth guy there, which Iginla would be.

I'd love to see him try to play #1RW though, who knows, maybe after some time washing the Colorado stink off he'd still be great.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Iggy would be the ideal replacement for Brouwer, should he get claimed

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I'd overpay for Oshie. He is playoff built and fits the core.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think Calgary should look to sign a decent top 6D. Whether that's Stone or otherwise, but someone who belongs in the NHL. Brodie made Engelland and Wideman look like competent NHL'ers. Neither of those guys even belong the in the NHL (honestly). A guy who can stay at home, has some size... Stone might be a perfect fit, but I feel Brodie may have helped Stone get a decent payday somewhere in the NHL.

The pickins is slim, though (ordered by icetime):

ETPBR2r.png

32wHYSL.png

1O5NFUF.png

4KTOIkk.png

KrA8RuH.png

AKozEgc.png

B6Ywfci.png

uXPyZAE.png

LiZQaoe.png

tphRBSn.png

jsj039Z.png

No big steals in this year's UFA market. All things considered Stone is the best compromise unless we want to move Brodie back to the right side to play with Del Zotto or pay out the wazoo for Shattenkirk. Brian Campbell is another option but chances are the Flames are looking to add a younger "big" defenseman (even though we're watching a team with Josi / Ellis probably en route to the cup but I digress)

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Alzner wouldn't be a bad option. I would be happy with him or Stone.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think I brought this up last year but I'll do it again.

If Scott Hartnell gets bought out (on the outs with Torts, has a NMC which is problematic for the expansion draft), do we look at bringing him on the cheap to be our Maroon style player next year?

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Bartkowski would make for an acceptable popcorn eating 7th defenceman but given Guluztan's fanboyism of absolutely awful depth (although every coach seems to have this problem), Treliving might just have to waive him.

No way Engelland should be brought back in any capacity. He's not a 15+ minute defencemen; he's not capable of defending against elite talent. He's 35 but he's still going to want a multi-year contract and it would be silly of Calgary to assume that risk. If the Flames can't do better than Bartkowski-Engelland next season there's something very wrong here.

Ideally the Flames would stop thinking they're the smartest guys in the room and start adopting practices that other organizations have shown to work, i.e., actually graduating deserving prospects, pairing the rookie with all star number one defenceman instead of the old, declining, all around terrible veteran and expecting miracles.

Brodie-Stone
Giordano-Andersson
Kulak/Wotherspoon-Hamilton
Wotherspoon/Kulak

If everyone lives up to their potential, that's Nashville/Anaheim deep and it plays to Guluztan's "roll the lines" mentality. Brodie and Stone take the hard matches a la the Vlasic/Hjalmarsson pairings in San Jose/Chicago leaving the other two with easier minutes. And if Giordano is really the number one defenceman everything thinks he is, he shouldn't have a problem playing with a highly skilled rookie and still excelling.

Frankly, this is the only way I can see the Flames graduating two young defencemen at the same time. Because there's no way they give an entire pairing to "unproven" players; they just don't have enough dry pants for that.

Thats one of the softest defenses right there, no push back, no mean streak, no nothing. If you let Engelland go (and I think you have to), you need to bring someone with physical presence back.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think I brought this up last year but I'll do it again.

If Scott Hartnell gets bought out (on the outs with Torts, has a NMC which is problematic for the expansion draft), do we look at bringing him on the cheap to be our Maroon style player next year?

No room for another LHS LW. I like Hartnell, but no room.

Would rather have Iggy.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Thats one of the softest defenses right there, no push back, no mean streak, no nothing. If you let Engelland go (and I think you have to), you need to bring someone with physical presence back.

Thoughts on McIlrath or Dotchin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad