Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Post your terrible ideas here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Basically it's a process and Treliving's looking at all his options.

Does kind of seem like the choices are between bringing Elliott and Johnson back or acquiring Raanta or Grubauer and bringing Johnson back. Unless the Wings actually make Mrazek available.

Sound to me, he has some hope on the guys in the system and likely will end up with short term help this summer

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
My ideal bottom pairing would have TSpoon on it as I'm sure one might have guessed. But at this point I wonder if he'll even be qualified. Perhaps it would even be in his best interest to move on given our gross missuse of him this season. There's no doubt in my mind he's our most NHL ready guy in the Heat, and it'll suck if we don't make use of him just because he didn't gel well with Engelland

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
Yeah you guys are right. Bennett shouldn't go for anything short of a super stud.

I like the idea of getting Marleau but I feel like he'll retire a shark. I believe he wants a multi year deal so I hope it wouldn't be too long. I think Justin Williams would be nice, and maybe kulikov if Stone doesn't come back. Sharp is another intriguing one if his injuries aren't too bad and he comes relatively cheap.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I can see Bouma being traded for a late pick, but the guy is an NHLer and better than Bollig.

Or if not a late pick maybe for a guy like Dalton Prout. Could come in a take over the Engelland role for a year as a bottom pairing RHD.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My ideal bottom pairing would have TSpoon on it as I'm sure one might have guessed. But at this point I wonder if he'll even be qualified. Perhaps it would even be in his best interest to move on given our gross missuse of him this season. There's no doubt in my mind he's our most NHL ready guy in the Heat, and it'll suck if we don't make use of him just because he didn't gel well with Engelland
Gross misuse? Talk about so much hyperbole that I want to vomit. Had their been injuries on the blueline, he would have played more. It was a weird season in that regard.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

I think a Wotherspoon - Andersson pairing could do really well.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He played 4 games in a season when we had the luxury of choosing between Engelland, Bart, Jokipakka, and Wideman for our bottom pairing. Yes, Wideman has a NMC and Bart was picked up for expansion purposes but 4 games is downright pathetic for someone that's been ready to take the next step for a while now

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He played 4 games in a season when we had the luxury of choosing between Engelland, Bart, Jokipakka, and Wideman for our bottom pairing. Yes, Wideman has a NMC and Bart was picked up for expansion purposes but 4 games is downright pathetic for someone that's been ready to take the next step for a while now
Like I said, we had very few injuries on the blueline. If we had a normal number he would have played 20+ games. He's not better than anyone on the NHL roster no matter how hard you toot his horn. I like Wotherspoon, a lot, but what you are spouting is simply nonsense.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I like Spoon and he's been great on the farm, but every time he's got some NHL time he's looked like a deer in the headlights. I think he can be an NHL Dman, but he's gotta work on the confidence or something.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah you guys are right. Bennett shouldn't go for anything short of a super stud.

I like the idea of getting Marleau but I feel like he'll retire a shark. I believe he wants a multi year deal so I hope it wouldn't be too long. I think Justin Williams would be nice, and maybe kulikov if Stone doesn't come back. Sharp is another intriguing one if his injuries aren't too bad and he comes relatively cheap.

IF Bennett was in a deal that involved Nate MacKinnon or Johnny Tavares, I'd be perfectly fine. But swapping him for the sake of swapping him is just mindless to be honest. The kid is entering his D+4 season, and in all reality his 3rd season after missing an entire year with a bummed shoulder. I doubt Marleau would want to come to Calgary, of all places, but he'd be an interesting target on the short term. On a down year the guy just plugged 27 goals :laugh: would be a useful trigger on the top line or with Bennett.

I'd like Williams, but I think he's going to get a 3 year deal somewhere north of 3 million, and I don't think that's the avenue the Flames should be going. The guy's entering the home stretch of his career, and I don't like giving 35+'s over 1 year deals. Dmitry Kulikov is an interesting option, but kind of a risky one; he's never been a producer by any means, but he's also a negative possession player... which is going away from the game we want to play.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Jankowski isn't better than Stajan either and people are acting like he'll be a mainstay on our roster next year, on our third line even. Why? Because the potential is clearly there. At some point these players need to be given the opportunity to make mistakes in the big leagues otherwise you risk stagnation. It's easy to stay he's not better than those 4 guys, but it looks quite silly to go all-in on some players that will likely not feature in the Flames plans next season, with the exception of maybe Engelland.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jankowski isn't better than Stajan either and people are acting like he'll be a mainstay on our roster next year, on our third line even. Why? Because the potential is clearly there. At some point these players need to be given the opportunity to make mistakes in the big leagues otherwise you risk stagnation. It's easy to stay he's not better than those 4 guys, but it looks quite silly to go all-in on some players that will likely not feature in the Flames plans next season, with the exception of maybe Engelland.
Wotherspoon had the opportunity out of camp and squandered it. He's the only person to blame, he's been given opportunities year after year and has done **** all with them.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So move Bennett for a player that took 5 years to have a good breakout season for a younger, cost controlled player that has at least that upside? Nino is a perfect example of why the Flames shouldn't trade Bennett. I wonder how much the Isles are regretting dealing him for Clutterbuck. Bennett is more skilled than Nino, has a higher ceiling and I can't see why the Flames would make that deal.

I would do a 1st and Lazar.

I would LOVE to get Nino, but I would not consider moving Bennett for him at all.

Problem is it'll probably take more than a 1st and Lazar. (or 1st and Ferland)

Depending on what the top six is intended to look like longer term, Bennett might be our best trading piece. Unfortunately.

Building / promoting from within is the most realistic choice for next season - assuming there's actual NHL talent ready to take the next step. (or a Dougie Hamilton deal doesn't fall in Treliving's lap)

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I wonder if a guy like Anders Nilsson will get any consideration to be brought in as an FA as a backup or part of a tandem. Had a pretty good year on a pretty bad team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like Spoon and he's been great on the farm, but every time he's got some NHL time he's looked like a deer in the headlights. I think he can be an NHL Dman, but he's gotta work on the confidence or something.

Flames haven't really helped him out though over the past 3 years.

I thought his pairing with Nakladal was actually really good. They played well together because Nak moved the puck fairly easily and Wotherspoon could play a simple game. The rest of the time he's been saddled with Engelland.

I've said it before, and I'll go ahead and say it again, Deryk Engelland is not an NHL level talent. The guy makes everyone around him worse; his one-two games a year that he ends up on an offensive rush or creates a beauty goal, does not account for his absolute lack of defensive awareness, IQ or... anything.

Ty Wotherspoon has a 2Yr CF% of 51.7%, which is actually really good for a #6/depth Dman. When he's with Engelland that number dips to 47%. Also, his GA60 dips almost 1 goal (0.8) away from Engelland. That's a HUGE number.

What you want from that bottom pair, are guys that'll keep the puck alive in the offensive zone (as that's where they'll start most of the time) and keep getting pucks toward the opposite net. You also want them cheap and with some potential to move up the lineup. Kulak and Andersson both have the capability of being more than bottom/depth Dmen, and Wotherspoon still might (mayyyybe).

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
IF Bennett was in a deal that involved Nate MacKinnon or Johnny Tavares, I'd be perfectly fine. But swapping him for the sake of swapping him is just mindless to be honest. The kid is entering his D+4 season, and in all reality his 3rd season after missing an entire year with a bummed shoulder. I doubt Marleau would want to come to Calgary, of all places, but he'd be an interesting target on the short term. On a down year the guy just plugged 27 goals :laugh: would be a useful trigger on the top line or with Bennett.

I'd like Williams, but I think he's going to get a 3 year deal somewhere north of 3 million, and I don't think that's the avenue the Flames should be going. The guy's entering the home stretch of his career, and I don't like giving 35+'s over 1 year deals. Dmitry Kulikov is an interesting option, but kind of a risky one; he's never been a producer by any means, but he's also a negative possession player... which is going away from the game we want to play.

Yeah I agree on Bennett.

Ideally I'd want Stone back but he's not a positive possession guy either. Del Zotto could be another option but he's pretty inconsistent so yeah lol. I'd like Williams on a 1 or 2 year deal but beyond that, it's risky

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Speaking of Nakladal, I felt like they wouldn't go there because of the logjam at right side D with Hamilton, Wideman and Engelland. Since two of those are UFA's and likely just Stone coming back behind Hamilton, there is a bottom pairing RHD spot up for grabs with really just Andersson to push for it. I wonder if they bring him back?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I would personally love to get Nakladal back on the team. Hell, I may even prefer him to Stone. Guy was fantastic.

This is something I would give a 0% chance of happening though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nakladal couldn't stick with the Canes when they were falling apart. What an awful idea, easily the most overrated player we've seen in this organization in a very long time.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Nakladal couldn't stick with the Canes when they were falling apart. What an awful idea, easily the most overrated player we've seen in this organization in a very long time.

The Canes are very deep on D, and on the right side they have Faulk and Pesce, so Nakladal was battling with Tennyson and Murphy for the last spot. Both younger and more NHL experience.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Speaking of Nakladal, I felt like they wouldn't go there because of the logjam at right side D with Hamilton, Wideman and Engelland. Since two of those are UFA's and likely just Stone coming back behind Hamilton, there is a bottom pairing RHD spot up for grabs with really just Andersson to push for it. I wonder if they bring him back?

I'd really rather not.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I would personally love to get Nakladal back on the team. Hell, I may even prefer him to Stone. Guy was fantastic.

This is something I would give a 0% chance of happening though.

I did think he showed to be an NHL level player when he was here. Small sample size, but still looked good.

That said, even if the Flames had interest in bringing him back, I've got to think his NHL days are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia