Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Post your terrible ideas here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I'd rather pay Gagner 2M on a 1-2 year deal if that's realistic than move anything of value for Eberle, if that's the type of player we're looking at.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Niederreiter is a LHS and will be looking for a significant raise over his 2.6M cap hit. Not a chance I'd move Bennett for that. If they're actually giving up a potential top line centre, I want something back that actually addresses a real need, not simply a 'well, that's the best we can do right now.' And that actual need is an age appropriate elite forward with an RHS like Pastrnak. And if Bennett can't bring someone like that back, than the Flames are keeping him.

Also, Kevin Hayes is a terrible, terrible winger, at least according to Rangers fans. He's a centre through and through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Niederreiter is a LHS and will be looking for a significant raise over his 2.6M cap hit. Not a chance I'd move Bennett for that. If they're actually giving up a potential top line centre, I want something back that actually addresses a real need, not simply a 'well, that's the best we can do right now.' And that actual need is an age appropriate elite forward with an RHS like Pastrnak. And if Bennett can't bring someone like that back, than the Flames are keeping him.

Also, Kevin Hayes is a terrible, terrible winger, at least according to Rangers fans. He's a centre through and through.

Well count me out on Brodie and maybe Gaudreau, because I'm a huge Brodie fan and I only want to trade Gaudreau for a RHS elite winger/center. But I may make some awful Bennett trades haha.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

For reals. Brodie was our most effective defenseman in the playoffs. Bennett was our best center 5v5. Gaudreau was our best regular season scorer.

Trade em all! Need more guys already in their prime whose own team sees them as expendable #4D or 2nd line wingers!!

May 27, 2012
Earth
Well count me out on Brodie and maybe Gaudreau, because I'm a huge Brodie fan and I only want to trade Gaudreau for a RHS elite winger/center. But I may make some awful Bennett trades haha.

tenor.gif

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
[mod]

Back on topic: I think we need to wait one more year before making a call on Bennett. The playoffs showed us that he's still capable of high level play. We just need to find a way to turn him on during the season.

Gaudreau: He's been playing great at the WC, but as Lazarbeams (i think) keeps mentioning, we need a high skill player for him to play with to get this out of him. At one time that was hudler. Maybe it could be nino, but I see him more in the same mold as monahan. I know it would cost, but what about targeting drouin?

As for Brodie, I have been lampooned many a time for proposing we trade him. However, if we're going to move any of our defenders he's the only one that makes sense (unless we entertain trading gio). Not advocating we go that route, but I'd rather keep Hamilton and Gio if I have to choose.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Proposals are basically a fruitless endeavor. A no win situation. I mean, even when an actual real trade happens you usually get really wild reactions to it from both those who love it and hate it. We all value players differently.

They're fun to do though because you usually end up building a roster you would love to watch and cheer for, but in the end you know that once you put it up for others to comment, you are going to get roasted no matter what.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I speculate the vast majority of push back on nonsensical proposals come from the fact that the Flames just had their most successful regular season in almost a decade due to a solid young core that now, apparently, needs to be blown up for reasons.

See, I could get the need for aggressive change if the Flames' core were an average of five to 10 years older and coming off a string of playoff disappointments. But after the season they just had, it's more than a little bizarre that to think the Flames need radical changes in every position.

All the Flames need is

a) Continued development of their core
b) An average goalie that makes the saves they need to and doesn't deflate the team
c) One top nine winger
d) An influx of hungry young rookies pushing the pace and creating competition
e) Turfing Brouwer and Bouma

And realistically, even if the Flames just get the first two they'll be competing for the division next season.

I get that the summer's boring and so people want to throw around some ideas but when the vast majority of proposals involve the Flames giving up the best pieces to fill relatively small holes while making the team worse overall, they're going to get lambasted. It's not personal, it just doesn't make sense in the current situation.

On that note, signing Marleau in free agency would be something. Flames need to get faster and Marleau's still got some wheels on him

Marleau-Monahan-Gaudreau
Tkachuk-Bakclund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Lazar

Tkachuk-Monahan-Gaudreau
Marleau-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Lazar

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Marleau-Bennett-Lazar

Marleau-Bennett-Gaudreau
Tkachuk-Monahan-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Lazar

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Treliving on goaltending options
**Warning: Eric Francis Article**

“I’ve heard I’ve tried to get him three or four times, which isn’t correct,” said Treliving, who admittedly got permission to talk contract with Bishop before last year’s draft before opting for a Brian Elliott swap.

“We’re looking at goaltending, so it’s natural we’d be poking around. Did we look at it as an option? Yes. But the assumption we can make is that for the American guy who played minor league hockey in Texas coming to Calgary was probably not choice No. 1. And if he was, it was probably for a long time for a lot of dough.”
“At end of the day, here’s where we’re at,” said Treliving, laying out the various goaltending options he's juggling.

“If you want to go long-term on anyone, you’ve got to be careful on term and dollars. We have some young guys in the pipelines, but we also don’t want to expose them and they fail. Question is, is there someone out there we want to go long-term with?”

The answer is no, especially since Bishop is gone and the Flames do have such promising young goalies.
“Do we stay where we are at?” said Treliving, pondering the possibility of bringing unrestricted free agents Chad Johnson and Elliott back despite the latter’s season-ending playoff collapse.

“We’ve talked to both guys to get a sense of where they are at. We were really comfortable with how our goaltending shaped up this year. We went from 30th to 14th. Do we think the goaltending played up to its potential in the playoffs? Probably not. But let’s not forget, without those guys, we end the year a little earlier.

“You get through the emotion and get past that. When your eyes are bleeding because you’re so wound up, you usually make bad decisions. So you analyze it.”
“I’m not sure there are guys capable of 60 games, so is there a guy who can play 50 games or a guy who hasn’t done it that should get the chance?” asked Treliving.

One of the potential answers is Rangers backup Antti Raanta, who some see as having the potential of being the next Talbot — a 28-year-old backup stud who may have the ability to flourish if given the chance.

He, too, will be exposed in the expansion draft, as will Washington’s little-used backup, Philipp Grubauer, 25.

Or do you go with an aging player like 36-year-old Ryan Miller or 35-year-old Mike Smith?

It only feels like Jonathan Bernier and Steve Mason have been around forever, but both are free agents at age 28.

Or would that be settling?

Basically it's a process and Treliving's looking at all his options.

Does kind of seem like the choices are between bringing Elliott and Johnson back or acquiring Raanta or Grubauer and bringing Johnson back. Unless the Wings actually make Mrazek available.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I speculate the vast majority of push back on nonsensical proposals come from the fact that the Flames just had their most successful regular season in almost a decade due to a solid young core that now, apparently, needs to be blown up for reasons.

See, I could get the need for aggressive change if the Flames' core were an average of five to 10 years older and coming off a string of playoff disappointments. But after the season they just had, it's more than a little bizarre that to think the Flames need radical changes in every position.

All the Flames need is

a) Continued development of their core
b) An average goalie that makes the saves they need to and doesn't deflate the team
c) One top nine winger
d) An influx of hungry young rookies pushing the pace and creating competition
e) Turfing Brouwer and Bouma

And realistically, even if the Flames just get the first two they'll be competing for the division next season.

I get that the summer's boring and so people want to throw around some ideas but when the vast majority of proposals involve the Flames giving up the best pieces to fill relatively small holes while making the team worse overall, they're going to get lambasted. It's not personal, it just doesn't make sense in the current situation.

On that note, signing Marleau in free agency would be something. Flames need to get faster and Marleau's still got some wheels on him

Calc, i think if D happens both C and E will be self resolving.

Really I think we could stand pat, resign both Elliott and Johnson, (also Stone, possibly Versteeg) and still make an honest challenge for the division.

Marleau would be an interesting add.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So move Bennett for a player that took 5 years to have a good breakout season for a younger, cost controlled player that has at least that upside? Nino is a perfect example of why the Flames shouldn't trade Bennett. I wonder how much the Isles are regretting dealing him for Clutterbuck. Bennett is more skilled than Nino, has a higher ceiling and I can't see why the Flames would make that deal.

I would do a 1st and Lazar.

I would LOVE to get Nino, but I would not consider moving Bennett for him at all.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calc, i think if D happens both C and E will be self resolving.

Really I think we could stand pat, resign both Elliott and Johnson, (also Stone, possibly Versteeg) and still make an honest challenge for the division.

Marleau would be an interesting add.

I feel bad saying this, but if Calgary comes back with Elliott and Johnson, I'll view this as a bit of a failure to be honest.

There has to be some changes to insulate the core.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I feel bad saying this, but if Calgary comes back with Elliott and Johnson, I'll view this as a bit of a failure to be honest.

There has to be some changes to insulate the core.

I could see Raanta and Johnson. I could also see Raanta and Elliott tbh.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Basically it's a process and Treliving's looking at all his options.

Does kind of seem like the choices are between bringing Elliott and Johnson back or acquiring Raanta or Grubauer and bringing Johnson back. Unless the Wings actually make Mrazek available.

Even with the quotes from Brad, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes down any road we've discussed on here, which includes Elliott, Johnson, Grubauer and Raanta, but certainly isn't limited to those four guys either. What would surprise me is trading for an older guy with 3 or more years, or signing a UFA to 3 or more years. But I think it was a general consensus we weren't willing to do that anyways.

I don't think he's shut the door on many of the options we've identified here.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
If there are no changes to the top 6D, 2G's and top 9... I mean, yikes.

I believe that

Gio, Doug, Brodie, Stone, Kulak, Andersson, Wotherspoon

can make up a strong NHL defense next year. Of course if the team runs into health issues then things could get real bad real quick.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I believe that

Gio, Doug, Brodie, Stone, Kulak, Andersson, Wotherspoon

can make up a strong NHL defense next year. Of course if the team runs into health issues then things could get real bad real quick.

I think Calgary should look to sign a decent top 6D. Whether that's Stone or otherwise, but someone who belongs in the NHL. Brodie made Engelland and Wideman look like competent NHL'ers. Neither of those guys even belong the in the NHL (honestly). A guy who can stay at home, has some size... Stone might be a perfect fit, but I feel Brodie may have helped Stone get a decent payday somewhere in the NHL.

That bottom pair should have Kulak and Andersson on it, at least to start. They can't be worse than Bartkowski. Rasmus can skate and paces the game ridiculously well. Kulak is just a really solid D. That could end up being a really decent pairing.

They need 1 top 9 forward. I'm liking Sharp or Versteeg. Vets that can still work and put up points (Sharp I think still has something to prove). They need to shed Bouma and/or Brouwer... Just don't need them anymore. Give Jankowski a chance, give any of the other kids a chance to see if they can make the NHL.

I'd be solid with Raanta + Johnson. I think you don't pick up Elliott and save the pick, no need to waste a pick on a lateral move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad