Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
With an alleged return like 1st + Frolik + whatever else, you'd have to think there's significant retention on Zucker. Like 50% retention. Or a 2nd round pick coming back or something. I love Zucker but there's no way he's worth that much unless the pot is being sweetened in the other direction.

Reactions: Mr Snrub

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Just throwing this out, what if the 1st was to take on Neal's contract too
Probably more realistically Stone’s. The Wild aren’t exactly flush with cap space either. Seems more likely that we would pay more to get Zucker for less.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Lots of people on the main boards now saying we are 5th or 6th contender in the West.. even though we are first. Crazy the bias of TDL deals, especially considering we did a complete overhaul of our roster in the summer.
And yet tonight the Sharks lose, Jets lose, Preds lose, and the Flames who stood pat won. Knights-Stars game winner/loser to be advised.

Reactions: Areid1990

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Didn't think about it in that sense, so I guess yeah he could also be saying that.
I wonder if we see the deal go down during the draft/off-season now.
I think there’s a possibility that it could’ve been bigger on both sides. If you can’t drastically improve offence at the deadline, what’s next, defense, goaltending?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I sure hope we get to hear what caused the Zucker deal to die. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded for him at the draft seeing as both sides clearly agreed on the frame work.

I also just read the Edler stuff in the TDL thread, that sounds like a disaster (of minor proportions) and I'm glad he didn't waive.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Frolik’s agent bitches about ice and when he gets dealt he doesn’t wanna go? f*** Allen Walsh or whatever his name is

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Frolik’s agent *****es about ice and when he gets dealt he doesn’t wanna go? **** Allen Walsh or whatever his name is
We have no reason to believe Frolik refused to waive anything and if he did, that's his choice as we gave him a limited NTC. I wouldn't want to waive to go to the Wild either.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
We have no reason to believe Frolik refused to waive anything and if he did, that's his choice as we gave him a limited NTC. I wouldn't want to waive to go to the Wild either.
It was completely in jest. I’m actually kind of glad the trade didn’t go through (mind you, we don’t know exactly what it was), but I like Frolik and think he’s a very useful player down the stretch for us

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It was completely in jest. I’m actually kind of glad the trade didn’t go through (mind you, we don’t know exactly what it was), but I like Frolik and think he’s a very useful player down the stretch for us
fair enough. seen enough overreactions the last 36 hours or so where nothing would shocks me

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think there’s a possibility that it could’ve been bigger on both sides. If you can’t drastically improve offence at the deadline, what’s next, defense, goaltending?

I'd be curious to know if Treliving was targeting Kahkonen as a goalie prospect upgrade.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I'd be curious to know if Treliving was targeting Kahkonen as a goalie prospect upgrade.
By all accounts Tre hasn't wavered in his belief in Smith and Rittich. That said I am sure if a goalie like Hotltby, Fleury, or maybe Murray came available BT would have looked into it.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
or is he saying the return was more than Zucker?

I think it’s the former. The original tweet says “return would have been frolik + 1st” and then the reply says the return is more. Think they’re talking about the same return, aka, what the flames were moving. Although, hard to imagine minny wasn’t doing something to even the value, be it salary rentention or other assets back

Rumors nonetheless

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
According to Michael Russo's article on the Athletic, the rumoured package for Zucker was Frolik + a draft pick, however in the article it says his sources confirmed that Minnesota was not on Frolik's "no" list, therefore he wouldn't have needed to approve the trade and there is some other reason why the trade didn't go through but that is still unknown.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
According to Michael Russo's article on the Athletic, the rumoured package for Zucker was Frolik + a draft pick, however in the article it says his sources confirmed that Minnesota was not on Frolik's "no" list, therefore he wouldn't have needed to approve the trade and there is some other reason why the trade didn't go through but that is still unknown.

The other speculation I’ve read was that it simply wasn’t submitted in time.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
actually I think the Wild may have balked at the last moment

After a whirlwind day, Jason Zucker is still here to score a...
and TSN learned Monday afternoon that Zucker was nearly traded to the Calgary Flames. Sources say it would have been for a package that included veteran Michael Frolik and a draft pick. For some unclear reason as of now, the trade fell through at the very last moments before Monday’s 2 p.m. CT trade deadline.

Frolik does have a partial no-trade clause, but The Athletic confirmed Tuesday that the Wild are not on Frolik’s “No” list. So, Calgary could have dealt him with no strings attached. There is a chance that Zucker’s $5.5-million cap hit and the four-year term remaining created an issue for Calgary to take him on.

The only thing clear is Zucker was never officially traded. There was never any email sent to Central Registry, never any trade call.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm glad that deal didn't go through. But it now probably means that Frolik's gone in the summer, unfortunately

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
kind of lame. frolik is a good middle 6 guy at worst.

frolic + 1st + looks like a overpayment for friggin zucker

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
kind of lame. frolik is a good middle 6 guy at worst.

frolic + 1st + looks like a overpayment for friggin zucker

Considering Boomer's tweet, I assume the return wasn't Zucker alone.
Hell, it could have been something that we'd all be patting ourselves on the back for.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Considering Boomer's tweet, I assume the return wasn't Zucker alone.
Hell, it could have been something that we'd all be patting ourselves on the back for.
Boomer isn't exactly the go to for inside info. Russo on the other hand, is among the elite. He's saying it was Fro and a pick for Zucker and he's not claiming it was a first or even high pick. I could see a conditional pick, a 3rd that becomes a 1st if we win the Cup, but nothing more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad