Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Boomer isn't exactly the go to for inside info. Russo on the other hand, is among the elite. He's saying it was Fro and a pick for Zucker and he's not claiming it was a first or even high pick. I could see a conditional pick, a 3rd that becomes a 1st if we win the Cup, but nothing more than that.

Who knows. Probably one day it'll come to light... or more likely the draft floor.
Zucker would have been a good add for Calgary. He'd also add to our ever-growing asshole division we have right now.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
By all accounts Tre hasn't wavered in his belief in Smith and Rittich. That said I am sure if a goalie like Hotltby, Fleury, or maybe Murray came available BT would have looked into it.

Smith is likely gone after this season though. I was thinking longer term. What Kahkonen is doing what is sorta Murray lite in the AHL before making the jump. A Finnish goalie, 22 years old. A Gilles/McDonald swap along with some other stuff is my guess as the "significant return" aspect.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Smith is likely gone after this season though. I was thinking longer term. What Kahkonen is doing what is sorta Murray lite in the AHL before making the jump. A Finnish goalie, 22 years old. A Gilles/McDonald swap along with some other stuff is my guess as the "significant return" aspect.

Could be gone, but given his stretch here of late, I don't think it's nearly as foregone a conclusion as it was.

Lots of variables though. How he plays between now and the playoffs. Who else is available. Our cap situation. Etc.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Could be gone, but given his stretch here of late, I don't think it's nearly as foregone a conclusion as it was.

Lots of variables though. How he plays between now and the playoffs. Who else is available. Our cap situation. Etc.

The thing is, even if Smith isn't gone, Kahkonen could continue to marinate in the AHL. I've been looking at a few prospect names under the assumption we keep the Rittich/Smith tandem in the NHL and have a capable option in the AHL as a call up and KK in Minny is just flying under the radar like Matt Murray was IMO.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
All these after the fact stories make it seem like Treliving went crazy and was trying to add every single available or semi-available player out there. The Edler one especially (if you can believe Botchford in Vancouver) but Zucker too. Kind of feels like there was some intervention by a higher power (Scorch? Jobu?) here that made everything fall apart.

If even half of these rumors are true, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if down the road (in as little as three or four months), people look back at them as the 'best deals are ones you don't make' type of situation.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Anybody else see Bill Peters show praise to Forsberg in his post game interview, applauding his lacrosse style attempt

I’m not one for speculation, but the Preds have never been to the cup final without James Neal. Imo a Neal-Forsberg swap is all but guaranteed this summer. It’s imminent

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm glad the deal fell through. I'd rather keep our 1st since we dont have a 2nd this year.
I also would prefer that Frolik gets traded at the draft for draft picks +. I'd like to get that 2nd back.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Pushing that hard for Edler tells me that Treliving was seriously considering packaging Valimaki for Stone

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Pushing that hard for Edler tells me that Treliving was seriously considering packaging Valimaki for Stone
Seems more like fall out from not getting Stone, to me. I’m guessing he started out with 4 or 5 possible trades to make this team better. Probably starting at Stone, to adding up front and probably improving the defence at the bottom. The Stone trade, taking so long, screwed up a lot of plans. I really believe Treliving thought he had the best offer on the table. Most likely 1st, Kylington + Czarnik(Frolik probably wouldn’t waive) verses Brannstron, 2nd + Lindberg. I think the Edler rumours were more or less a last ditch effort to improve the team now, however he could.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
There's no way.
It’s really not as crazy, as it sounds, for a signed Stone, with Edler in the mix. I have a hard time believing that there’d be significant savings from Hanifin to an extended Edler though.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
All these after the fact stories make it seem like Treliving went crazy and was trying to add every single available or semi-available player out there. The Edler one especially (if you can believe Botchford in Vancouver) but Zucker too. Kind of feels like there was some intervention by a higher power (Scorch? Jobu?) here that made everything fall apart.

If even half of these rumors are true, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if down the road (in as little as three or four months), people look back at them as the 'best deals are ones you don't make' type of situation.

I dunno... to me, the vibe seems more along the lines that he has a few things set up at 90-99% ready to go at any notice dominoes wise. Most of the remainder stuff left over would be things like negotiating off the last bit of value to get a good deal, waiting on conditions before executing etc. I honestly think he has contingency plans and deeply hashed out raw frameworks in place that only need a short period of time to polish off and execute if something comes down the pipe too good to pass up. Otherwise, if you assume that the deal won't go through, you might miss out on another GM willing to accommodate.

On a different note, would any of you consider moving Gilles and McDonald for Kaako? Not straight up, obviously balancers are necessary, but if this was a side deal idea that was tacked on to the Zucker deal for instance, would you contemplate it?

- We just get a new change of scenery from Gilles. Gilles mentored by Dubnyk might not be the worst of all situations.
- McDonald is rounding out to be a decent goalie, but he's no where close to looking remotely ready yet.
- Moving both reduces goalie logjam.
- Kaako has been putting up some solid numbers in the AHL, but Minny is probably looking into a rebuild/retool and so he might be available for a reasonable price
- Gilles and McDonald can slow cook in the AHL while Minny rebuilds/retools, Minny can move away from vets like Hammond.
- Flames have Kaako who looks slightly closer to make the jump, and should in theory be able to handle spot duty in injury situations... and he can stay in the AHL. This gives Parsons more time and room to develop.

Thoughts?

Reactions: crackdown44

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The best goalies are being produced in the NCAA and in Europe for 1 primary reason... they play less games and practice more. The Flames need to look at splitting the games in the AHL and dedicating more time to skill development for the goalies. In Europe and the NCAA most goalies are playing 25-40 games a year but are practicing 5 days a week. Alternating every game and maximizing the skill development is very important.

This whole competing for the starters job has to end. You take the pressure off the young goalies knowing they will get their start the next game. Come playoff time you can choose the starter but until that point these prospects need consistency and more time skill building.

The AHL is a development league so developing these players has to take precedence over wins.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Boomer isn't exactly the go to for inside info. Russo on the other hand, is among the elite. He's saying it was Fro and a pick for Zucker and he's not claiming it was a first or even high pick. I could see a conditional pick, a 3rd that becomes a 1st if we win the Cup, but nothing more than that.

Among Flames media, I would say Boomer is one of our most reliable.

He rarely ever tweets out rumors but when he does, he's always been spot on.

Absolutely no reason not to believe Boomer.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Among Flames media, I would say Boomer is one of our most reliable.

He rarely ever tweets out rumors but when he does, he's always been spot on.

Absolutely no reason not to believe Boomer.

While I agree with Boomer's crediblity, I absolutely disagree there is "no reason". There's no second source for one. None of the more credible insiders have specifically said a 1st that I am aware of.

Rumors are rumors for a reason.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The best goalies are being produced in the NCAA and in Europe for 1 primary reason... they play less games and practice more. The Flames need to look at splitting the games in the AHL and dedicating more time to skill development for the goalies. In Europe and the NCAA most goalies are playing 25-40 games a year but are practicing 5 days a week. Alternating every game and maximizing the skill development is very important.

This whole competing for the starters job has to end. You take the pressure off the young goalies knowing they will get their start the next game. Come playoff time you can choose the starter but until that point these prospects need consistency and more time skill building.

The AHL is a development league so developing these players has to take precedence over wins.

You have an incorrect take my man. If you look at the top 10 goalies in terms of wins, 50% of them come out of the CHL; there's no magic recipe for goalies; how often they play, sit, practice, etc. It's individual dependent.

The AHL is a developmental league, you are correct. You are also aware teams like Stockton essentially average 2.5 games a week right? They practice almost every day though.

I think the post you were replying to; you missed the point. The premise was opening up goalie spots on the roster and giving Calgary a spot starter that we maybe have a bit more confidence in if Ritter or Smith is hurt; or whoever will be our tandem next year.

Reactions: Fig

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hey guys, figured I would post here because the Main Board trade board generally sucks.

Looking at the Leafs cap situation next season, I think it's likely Nazem Kadri, William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen or Andreas Johnsson will be traded.

My question, I suppose, is about TJ Brodie and Rasmus Andersson.
- Which of the above forwards would you move Andersson for?
- Which of the above forwards would you move Brodie with retention for?
- Which of the above forwards would you move Brodie with no retention for?

Reason being, I think CGY and TOR do make good partners, because TOR needs D and CGY needs forwards

Excited to hear your input :D

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hey guys, figured I would post here because the Main Board trade board generally sucks.

Looking at the Leafs cap situation next season, I think it's likely Nazem Kadri, William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen or Andreas Johnsson will be traded.

Reason being, I think CGY and TOR do make good partners, because TOR needs D and CGY needs forwards

I honestly have no interest in any Toronto forward not named Matthews or Marner. I do like Kapanen a lot but I wouldn't offer any roster pieces for him. Calgary's forward group is very deep and the best way to improve it is offloading certain forwards, not adding new ones for a D.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

For what it's worth, I think long term Brodie is far more available than Andersson. What he fetches in return I don't know. I think all those forwards offer something to the team. Is Kapanen purely RW or does he play both?

Keep in mind with OKG's response that he has repeatedly gone to bat saying Brodie is a #1 D-man.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
For what it's worth, I think long term Brodie is far more available than Andersson. What he fetches in return I don't know. I think all those forwards offer something to the team. Is Kapanen purely RW or does he play both?

Keep in mind with OKG's response that he has repeatedly gone to bat saying Brodie is a #1 D-man.

Kapanen has primarily played RW, but has played time at LW at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad