Armchair Gm Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
let them fight

Ekholm = muzzin trade value. (1st, Young forward, D prospect)

Muzzin: 496 gp, 51 G, 162 A
Ekholm: 558 gp, 49 G, 157 A

stats to age 30

RV: 3 yrs after this season. 60pt player where he can get 30. JVR trade to Philly? (22 yr old D prospect)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

stats to age 30

RV: 3 yrs after this season. 60pt player where he can get 30. JVR trade to Philly? (22 yr old D prospect)
I think Ekholm > Muzzin trade value just because I really expect Ekholm to be willing to re-up with us at a "Bargain" level, better than the contract Muzzin got. Plus I also think he's a little better than Muzzin. That was a bad trade for LA, though. I don't think it should dictate what we look for. They got a good player with the pick they got, but that's a coin flip that we wouldn't necessarily win as well as LA appears to have. The other prospects they got (Durzi and Grundstrom) are replacement-level of effectively zero value. They got lucky to get Bjornfot for Muzzin, basically. No guarantees we'd get even that lucky, and it's a bad trade to look to as a precedent.

Reactions: Pr0fet

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015

stats to age 30

id demand a forward prospect in any trade we can. Especially in this year where we will probably pick a D with our first.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I would believe Ekholm when he says money isn't everything and if he promised Poile to re-sign, I'd consider that promise much more solid than Suter or Vesey. Ekholm and his wife are more ingrained in the community here, running hockey/skating clinics and stuff. He doesn't have family in another NHL city to live near, he doesn't have family working in other organizations to influence him. He has experienced the absolute highs of Nashville hockey and knows what it's like when things are at there best here. He's also older and wiser than other players who gave Poile their word, I'd like to think he has more integrity than to lead the organization on like that.

But maybe I'm just idealistic.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think the writing is on the wall when it comes to Ekholm, I definitely think he's getting moved this deadline. It would be nice to keep him if we were close to contending, but I don't think we're close anymore.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think the writing is on the wall when it comes to Ekholm, I definitely think he's getting moved this deadline. It would be nice to keep him if we were close to contending, but I don't think we're close anymore.
Again, I don't even think of "contending" as the goal. Just being middle of the pack is good enough, and getting into the playoffs is a valid first step. And Ekholm any time in the next 6 years definitely helps us do that. A lot moreso than anything we'd get in a trade for him. I don't believe we will trade Ekholm. I will be SHOCKED if we do.

And if we do, I'm pretty sure it will just be another sign of error and degeneration in Poile's ability as a GM, tbh.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Gardiner... ehh, I thought about this, but if we want a PMD injected in the lineup... even considering our injury backfill requirements in the short-term... I mean, we've got Carrier, Davies, and soon Farrance all incoming. I'd much rather play them than take on a $4M guy with term who does about the same things and makes the same rookie mistakes.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Again, I don't even think of "contending" as the goal. Just being middle of the pack is good enough, and getting into the playoffs is a valid first step. And Ekholm any time in the next 6 years definitely helps us do that. A lot moreso than anything we'd get in a trade for him. I don't believe we will trade Ekholm. I will be SHOCKED if we do.

And if we do, I'm pretty sure it will just be another sign of error and degeneration in Poile's ability as a GM, tbh.

While I'm a fan of Ekholm and I think it'd be alright if he re-signed with us, I think with all the rumors going around that it's a probability that he's traded. Realistically that looks like what's going to happen. He's on top of all the trade lists, Poile's already said almost everyone's available and there have been rumors involving multiple teams.

There are many things I'd blame Poile for, but I don't think trading Ekholm while his value is highest would be one of those things. We're just not a good team, most of our core is about 30 and we don't have a great prospect pool. If we were in a playoff spot I'd be pissed at Poile for selling Ekholm, even if we were just "middle of the pack" I might too IF we were a team capable of coming from behind, or keeping a lead, or winning in general.

I also don't want to waste our time being middle of the pack, yes there are examples of us and L.A. going on to the finals or winning the cup while middle of the pack, but the goal should not be middle of the pack.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
While I'm a fan of Ekholm and I think it'd be alright if he re-signed with us, I think with all the rumors going around that it's a probability that he's traded. Realistically that looks like what's going to happen. He's on top of all the trade lists, Poile's already said almost everyone's available and there have been rumors involving multiple teams.

There are many things I'd blame Poile for, but I don't think trading Ekholm while his value is highest would be one of those things. We're just not a good team, most of our core is about 30 and we don't have a great prospect pool. If we were in a playoff spot I'd be pissed at Poile for selling Ekholm, even if we were just "middle of the pack" I might too IF we were a team capable of coming from behind, or keeping a lead, or winning in general.

I also don't want to waste our time being middle of the pack, yes there are examples of us and L.A. going on to the finals or winning the cup while middle of the pack, but the goal should not be middle of the pack.
I guess it's fair if you have that "win or nothing" mindset. I don't think "middle-of-the-pack" is a terrible goal. As a fan, if most of our games are competitive and we get into the playoffs, it's pretty satisfactory to me. YMMV.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
If Ekholm will resign, you keep him. He is a core player for playoff teams. He elevated his game and is a leader.

If you really can’t sign him, then he should be worth an immense amount. He is a top pairing guy.

In a vacuum, bringing back Ekholm is a no brainer. My concern is he will be 32 by the time his current contract ends. How many years is he going to want? The last thing this team needs is another vet heading into his mid 30s on a long bloated contract.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If we were playing well I think my mind would change.
We also don't have a lot of pieces that are going to bring back quality young assets and high picks. Trading Haula, Cousins, etc... for mid-round picks doesn't really get us anywhere long-term in terms of re-shaping the roster. This core has been on a steady decline since the Cup Finals year and shows no sign of trending back. I'd rather build around Ekholm than Ellis but the org thinks differently.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
In a vacuum, bringing back Ekholm is a no brainer. My concern is he will be 32 by the time his current contract ends. How many years is he going to want? The last thing this team needs is another vet heading into his mid 30s on a long bloated contract.
Yeah, I'm happy to take him at 4 or 5 more years, especially if he continues to accept below-market-value AAV. I'm not the least bit worried about taking him back at 4-5 yrs and $5Mish. That's below what's he worth to the extent that it'd be a no-brainer to take him back.

But at the same time, he's better than Ellis IMHO, and he could legitimately seek a 7x$7M deal, and I wouldn't fault him for looking for that retirement nest egg. I don't sense he's gonna go that way... but he has every right to... it's just a matter of Poile finding out his intentions. Of course I don't keep him for another one of those 6- or 7-year terms either. I just doubt (based on nothing but "gut feel") that we really need to worry about that. :dunno:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Haula's 1-year contract isn't worth much to Preds and there doesn't seem to be future or chemistry for him, but the Wild desperately need a center with any kind of faceoff skill.

I could see a low value trade with Haula to Minnesota.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
We also don't have a lot of pieces that are going to bring back quality young assets and high picks. Trading Haula, Cousins, etc... for mid-round picks doesn't really get us anywhere long-term in terms of re-shaping the roster. This core has been on a steady decline since the Cup Finals year and shows no sign of trending back. I'd rather build around Ekholm than Ellis but the org thinks differently.
Truth. Between the development time of a draft pick and the hit rate tailing off in an exponential decay, a team would be lucky to tread water by collecting a garbage bag of mid- and late round picks. Those picks might be sweetener to move up in the draft to go get a guy, but it's still a crapshoot even at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad